Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:30 PM

17 posts, read 252,069 times

Advertisements

aloha! first, i'd like to say what a wealth of information this forum has. my wife and currently live in the san francisco bay area, but are planning on moving to hawaii ASAP (most likely, in 1 1/2 - two years). we got married in maui 2 1/2 years ago, and have been back as well. i'd also been to maui before, and in fact, was there during 9/11 (got stranded there for an extra week!). i've also been to oahu.

we were considering moving to maui, but when we found out how much less expensive the big island was, we changed our plans. we're already planning a trip there this spring, and of course in the meantime, we've been devouring every newspaper article and real estate site we can find online. puna seems to be the lowest priced place to live, and like the rest of hawaii, it looks beautiful. i guess the questions i have are:

*if we worked in hilo, how long does it normally take to commute the 25 miles to get there? what about commuting to kona? is the traffic THAT bad? i can't imagine it being worse than the SF bay area.

*is crime in puna a major problem? what types of crimes are common- break-ins and burglaries, or more serious problems, like drugs and violent crimes? are there bad neighborhoods like the bay area and other urban places have?

*amateur astronomy is my main hobby, and i love hawaii for the dark skies free of light pollution. what areas of puna have a smaller amount of rainfall and clear, dark skies at night? or are there other areas we should be looking at that are priced close to the same range?

*how are newcomers generally treated? we've only experienced friendly people there (part of why we love hawaii), but is it different if you're staying there permanently, as opposed to just being tourists?

*we're aware that things cost more, and many people have two jobs. but if we're totally debt free, and only have a mortgage in the $800-1000 range, is it feasible to have a relatively comfortable standard of living (i.e. not completely struggling just to pay the bills) on two incomes from full time entry level type jobs ($10-12 hour)?

*what about "unpermitted" houses? does the state crack down on these often and actually fine people until they get permits?

mahalo for any information you can provide us!!! -erik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 PM

9 posts, read 87,649 times
Default Big Island

Aloha - I live on the Big Island, Kona side. I love living here, the people are friendly and warm. It is very expensive and getting more so. Surviving on $10 -$12 per hour might be a little tough. You may have to work two jobs. A lot of the locals work 2-3 jobs to make ends meet. Kona is a 2 hour drive to Hilo, you wouldn't want to commute from there. Hilo is the wet side of the Island, a lot like Seattle only more downpour. I'm not sure about Puna, from what I hear it's more local Hawaiians living there. There is a lot of drugs and crime (burglaries) because there are not a lot of jobs and interests for the youth.
Your best bet is to do some more research. There are quite a few jobs over on Kona side, can't fill them fast enough. But the housing is very expensive.
If there is a will there is a way. Come over check it out, talk story with the locals, travel around the island. You'll know in your heart if it's right. Life is a journey and the journeys can be rewarding.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM

thanks for the info, konakor! we are planning on doing a lot more research before we move there. just trying to get more of a "feel" for things before we go there. kona seems a lot more expensive, though it sounds like there are reasons for that. our main concerns are living in a safe environment with a fairly short commute (under an hour each way). as far as topography, i love all of hawaii that i've seen, whether it's the lush areas of west maui, or the dry, desert look on the road past hana. if the big island is similar in those regards (which, from pictures, seems to be), than i'm sure we'll love it as much as maui. we really want to get away from the crime, and rude, angry people that seem to be more commonplace here in the bay area and other metropolitan areas on the mainland.

as far as making a living, two jobs isn't out of the question. but i thought that with no debt except for a mortgage (which would likely be less than we currently pay for rent), and with two incomes, it wouldn't be so tough. are things more expensive on the big island than on maui? on maui, it seemed like we could find deals on things. safeway, kmart, etc., were a bit more expensive on many items, but nothing i thought was excessive. and many things, like heating, bridge tolls, 8.5% sales tax, etc., aren't factors on hawaii, and outdoor activities (hiking, snorkeling, etc.) don't cost anything. or are there other large expenses i'm not considering? i know gas, electricity, water, etc., all cost quite a bit more, and my wife and i would likely make less money in hawaii than we do here- but as long as we can get by, money isn't important to us.

in any case, mahalo for the info and replying to my post!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
There are some more posts here regarding Puna in different threads. I'll say that the island is N O T H I N G like Maui. Puna is a consolation prize for many people because it's all they can afford. Others absolutely love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. I suggest you come check it out for yourself.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 PM

25 posts, read 25,715 times
Default Maybe Speak to a Few RE Agents?

I own a home in the Hawaiian Ranchos which is in the Ka'u District. This area is on the Kona side of the island and still has some reasonable prices. I found that talking to a few knowledgable Real Estate Agents that specialize and live in the different areas was invaluable for me in making my decision where I wanted to live. Doing this gave me a better idea of the climate, home prices, crime rates and feasibility of working 40-50 miles from home. It took a little while to weed out the agents that were not quite forthcoming. Of course nothing is better than visiting and seeing for yourself. Good luck and let us know how your search goes.

Kona Dave

Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 35,879 times
Default BIg Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
There are some more posts here regarding Puna in different threads. I'll say that the island is N O T H I N G like Maui. Puna is a consolation prize for many people because it's all they can afford. Others absolutely love it and wouldn't live anywhere else. I suggest you come check it out for yourself.

Aloha - I appreciate the varying views. I posted yesterday as I am planning a move with my family - one a freshmen in college (anxious to move to a warmer climate), another going into 8th grade. My husband works for global company and can work anywhere with internet capabilities and a phone line, I have been offered a teaching position, and have worked in rural Texas, IL, as well as Suburb of Chicago (to name a few places)... I am concerned some about the educational opportunities for my 13 year old, and the changes he may go through. My husband and I have been to Maui and Oahu a few times, and I lived in Kona several years ago and visited Hilo. I have a 30 minute commute now, standard in the suburbs, but we don't have any issues of crime - what areas of Pahoa/Puna would be considered safest? I don't think I want catchment water - and I know we should look for lava zone 2 or 3 - would it be a good idea to find a rental for a few months and observe?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2006, 06:31 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranSchaefle View Post
Aloha - I appreciate the varying views. I posted yesterday as I am planning a move with my family - one a freshmen in college (anxious to move to a warmer climate), another going into 8th grade. My husband works for global company and can work anywhere with internet capabilities and a phone line, I have been offered a teaching position, and have worked in rural Texas, IL, as well as Suburb of Chicago (to name a few places)... I am concerned some about the educational opportunities for my 13 year old, and the changes he may go through. My husband and I have been to Maui and Oahu a few times, and I lived in Kona several years ago and visited Hilo. I have a 30 minute commute now, standard in the suburbs, but we don't have any issues of crime - what areas of Pahoa/Puna would be considered safest? I don't think I want catchment water - and I know we should look for lava zone 2 or 3 - would it be a good idea to find a rental for a few months and observe?

Thanks
If your children are school-aged, it's somewhat of a disservice to them to move to Puna. The public schools in Puna are probably among the worst in the state.

The safest subdivisions in Puna are Leilani Estates, Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates, and Kapoho Vacationland.

I wouldn't worry too much about catchment water. Properly treated and filtered, catchment water is safer than county water on the Big Island. Here's a link to a PDF of a publication that gives you all of the details on catchment water and systems.
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

As for lava zones, it's not that big of deal, unless you're on a tight budget and want to save a little money on insurance. The subdivisions inundated by lava back in the 1980s and 90s were in lava zones 2 and 3.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 12-23-2006, 10:26 AM

thanks for all of the replies. looking forward to seeing puna and the rest of the big island firsthand in the late spring.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 23,966 times
We to are considering moving to the big island, the HiLo area. We have 3 kids school age. Any suggestion on schools? They are OK students and good at sports. We live in a rual town now. thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,051 times
imo....they won't get the education the deserve anywhere on the islands...the education system is VERY lacking....kids are kids and they pretty much fit in anywhere in most cases...i would worry more about a high schooler coming in...feeling they don't fit......also, parents fitting in in with the other parents has been difficult for some people.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island