Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM

543 posts, read 3,078,157 times

Advertisements

I don't like paying for rent and since the climate of HI is nice and warm, I thought I could pull off a tent-living or hammock-living, while having a job as outdoors laborer of weed puller or something like that.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Can't recommend it. Over the weekend Hilo/Puna got about 30" of rain and high winds. Conditions were similar on all the islands. There are people living in tents here and they were miserable.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
doubtful. on maui it would not be allowed. I would guess the same holds true for big island. our big island poster would know for sure. if it was possible there would be thousands of people in tent cities, which would not be a good thing at all

Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM

263 posts, read 867,769 times
I think you're not thinking very realistically. I don't know why you'd want to live in a tent even on the Big Island. And it's not all sunny and warm. Especially not in Hilo.

I see more strikes against the idea than I see advantages for it.

There is the safety issue. It's dangerous. You're in a tent. You can't lock it. You really can't keep others from entering it when you're there or when you're not there. There are some psycho meth heads around. There are big stinging centipedes. If it's not hot then it's pouring rain. Hilo is known for its rain. When it's sunny your tent will feel like an oven. And you're not allowed to pitch a tent anywhere. You certainly don't want to camp on the beach because of rogue waves.

If you want a cheap stay consider some place like the Hilo Bay Hostel. However, I don't know if the hotel take folks for extended stays. You'll have to find that out yourself. Check out Craigslist too. You'll be a lot safer.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM

11 posts, read 44,488 times
I got news for you...paying for a plane ticket is like paying for rent, though it's only for 6 hours.....

A career in weed-pulling sounds too challenging, and at the most too cerebral in nature. Don't become another member of the rat race, slaving away for "the Man" so that you can overpay for Starbucks white-chocolate-no-foam double latte, or overpay for the new BMW M6 5 year lease with no option to buy back.

Even though you probably can't tell from my reply, you and I have something deeply in common, some profound innate quality that bonds us from across the ocean...we both like hammocks.

whodaguy

Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
It is against the law in Hawaii; not that there isn't some homeless that do it. Most of them have drug, alcohol or mental problems. I must admit that a few are also down on their luck.

Long story short...forget it!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,950 times
There's also a public health issue!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I don't like paying for rent and since the climate of HI is nice and warm, I thought I could pull off a tent-living or hammock-living, while having a job as outdoors laborer of weed puller or something like that.
Why do you feel that because Hawaii has good weather that freeloading of the land and not contributing is acceptable? hawaii has enough issues with providing it's own residents with affordable housing and meaningful employment without a bunch of mainland loafers adding to her troubles and treating the land and the state like some commune free for all.

Hawaii is a proud state with proud people who try to care for those needing care, but why should you come her with nothing to offer and think you have this right to drag down the island by your actions?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:39 PM

292 posts, read 948,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Why do you feel that because Hawaii has good weather that freeloading of the land and not contributing is acceptable? hawaii has enough issues with providing it's own residents with affordable housing and meaningful employment without a bunch of mainland loafers adding to her troubles and treating the land and the state like some commune free for all.

Hawaii is a proud state with proud people who try to care for those needing care, but why should you come her with nothing to offer and think you have this right to drag down the island by your actions?

Brava.!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island