Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM

264 posts, read 493,399 times

Advertisements

I saw no direct thread on the transport of small pet birds (3)
Can I also do direct pick up at the airport like they do dogs in HI?
Or quarantine on Oahu or the BI?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
You can do direct release of birds in Honolulu. As for the other islands, service is through approved contracted vets services and they may limit their inspections to certain types of animals. Call HI DoA and ask for the vets approved for direct release where you plan on going and check with the vet service for their rules.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Looks like I would have to have a vet pass my pet bird, the process looks daunting and no garintee they would letthem in.
That would be horrible to have them separated form me.
Cananyone encourage me on moving with pet birds?

Thanks

Old 05-29-2010, 11:32 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Cool Lots to be aware of...

Aloha Sub-Blue...
Moving birds to the Islands is a bit trickier than dogs/cats. After researching and many back and forth decisions I rehomed both my parrots before leaving Seattle. Yes, they do have to be 'quarantined' at a Vet's for a period, I believe, of 7 days (maybe longer) prior to their departure. The tricky part comes after the Vet quarantine. They need to arrive in Hawaii w/in 36 hours of leaving the Vet's accomodations. If they do not...if there is a flight delay...if there is a mix-up somewhere out of your control...back they go to whence they came. I'm not talking about getting them to the plane...I'm talking about landing them in Hawaii. I hope my memory serves me correctly in all of this, but it was way to close a call for me to chance it. I know many many people have had wonderful experiences transporting parrots and other birds to the Islands. Hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I have mis-quoted information to you. My apologies if I have. Please, check w/the Dept of Ag. Their website also spells it out pretty well.
Wish you and your feathered friends a happy flight.
Koale

Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Moving with parrots to me was much simpler than a dog or cat. No blood tests, no 120 day waiting period or risk quarrantine. However, not all species are allowed; what exactly do you have? For example I had to re-home my 2 quaker parrots (monk parakeet) because they are not allowed. My 2 cockatoos and 2 macaws were fine. Birds larger than a tiel have to be microchipped or banded (chose microchip), application made, boarded at vet's for 10 days prior to leaving the mainland (NO shipping animals where it will be over 80 degrees upon arrival or departure), certain type of carriers and items included (Vari-kennel with a perch, water bottle, I also included a few nuts and pieces of orange). When I moved, the only examination available was in Honolulu then they went on to Kona after being signed off on by the inspector (and the inspector for birds is not there 24 hours a day - certain hours only).

It's much easier than dogs and cats in my book but still, just call the Dept. of Ag. with your questions. The best thing to do is have your VET call the Dept, give them all the paper, and they will make sure it's right.

We did have a flight delay - just called Honolulu immediately to notify them, and even with an 8 or 10 hour delay, we were okay. Came from Las Vegas.

When you arrive you have to agree to keep them inside for 30 days.

Good luck!!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Moving with parrots to me was much simpler than a dog or cat. No blood tests, no 120 day waiting period or risk quarrantine. However, not all species are allowed; what exactly do you have? For example I had to re-home my 2 quaker parrots (monk parakeet) because they are not allowed. My 2 cockatoos and 2 macaws were fine. Birds larger than a tiel have to be microchipped or banded (chose microchip), application made, boarded at vet's for 10 days prior to leaving the mainland (NO shipping animals where it will be over 80 degrees upon arrival or departure), certain type of carriers and items included (Vari-kennel with a perch, water bottle, I also included a few nuts and pieces of orange). When I moved, the only examination available was in Honolulu then they went on to Kona after being signed off on by the inspector (and the inspector for birds is not there 24 hours a day - certain hours only).

It's much easier than dogs and cats in my book but still, just call the Dept. of Ag. with your questions. The best thing to do is have your VET call the Dept, give them all the paper, and they will make sure it's right.

We did have a flight delay - just called Honolulu immediately to notify them, and even with an 8 or 10 hour delay, we were okay. Came from Las Vegas.

When you arrive you have to agree to keep them inside for 30 days.

Good luck!!

I have 2 parakeets and a small parrot, I don't understand what I put them in the travel
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: