Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times

Advertisements

I love my Moluccan cockatoo and she is my favorite of course! But I don't think I'd want another big bird after her. I adore her but she is a lot of work and it makes traveling complicated to have a large bird. I only have one friend who is knowledgeable enough to "birdsit." And honestly I just don't think these large birds are meant to be housepets.
Having said all that, I think lorikeets are gorgeous, and hypothetically I'd love to have one. An African Grey would be neat, because they are so smart. And I've seen some very affectionate cockatiels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 PM

15 posts, read 27,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Having said all that, I think lorikeets are gorgeous, and hypothetically I'd love to have one. An African Grey would be neat, because they are so smart. And I've seen some very affectionate cockatiels.
But Amazon have similiar smart to African Greys, plus the beauty.

Cockatiels are nice, but they are dusty and not that smart.

Although a conure is about the same size as a cockatiel, but conure's beak is twice as large and also twice as much "parrot" as a cockatiel. It seems to me that in the parrot family, the larger the beak, the more "parrot" it is.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
tils are incredibly smart, there just not very good at human vocal mimmcry...whistles however, they are amazing. my friends teil knows more tricks than any larger parrot ive known, he skatboards, dunks a mini basketball, raises the flag, plays dead ect...hes very smart..he just cant say much beyond hello and his name lol.
they are dusty though, just like toos and keets too lol. australian birds (besides the lories) are all pretty dang dusty lol.

Lori and lorikeets are gorgeous, i could never handle the projectile pooping though LOL. thier tounges feel so odd.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
I've had an africian grey for about 9 years now. I had the bird since it was weened. The bird has an amazing vocabulary, and great timing.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
My African Senegal. I've had him for 11 years so he's 15. Just a teenager.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Cockatiels are remarkably smart.

I have never been fond of conures. THey are loud, messy and unless hand fed babies, usually nasty.

Ecletus are beautiful and unique, but also loud and often nasty. Major Mitchells 'toos fall into the same category.

I always though hyacinth McCaws were usually mean or at best aloof, but recently i have encountered some who are fun and sweet. They are georgeous, but cost about $20,000.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My African Senegal. I've had him for 11 years so he's 15. Just a teenager.
I have to agree that the Senegals fantastic pets. They are one of my favorite small parrots. While I have never owned one, but I did hand-feed dozens of them, hatched from the egg. I love the smaller Grey Cheek and the larger Galah (Rose-Breasted) Cockatoo.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
For me the small parrots would be a quaker cause I used to own three but got sick and they had to be re homed of the big ones I like the green wings .. Love em /

Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
I love my Amazon They're such characters...

I will always have a soft spot for cockatiels, because that's what my first, beloved bird was. She was amazing. I take fault with the notion that they aren't intelligent - they are, and in addition to that, their "EQ" is remarkable... they are amazingly intuitive little creatures. My mom, who's had parrots since she was in her early 20's, has stated many times that when she imagines angels, she imagines them as cockatiels

Old 06-28-2012, 11:25 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
I have never been a bird person and don't have much experience with them. I would have to say African Greys are my favorite. I live with one and even though she hates me, she cracks me up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds