Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM

667 posts, read 1,848,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
If I were you, I would add the following:

1) 2 Budgies (one blue and one green) or (one yellow and one white). The contrast of color make them pop;

2) 2 lovebirds, preferably Fischer's lovebirds. They are cool naked ring around the eye look; AND

3) 2 Parrotlets. Any type would do.

I am not so sure about cockatiels. They are more than double/triple the size of finches and my three recommendations above and can be bullies to the others. Cockatiels are dusty... and are more suited for outdoors.

If you have enough perches, the smaller birds will be fine living among each others.
So maybe, I should just get a budgie, or a Fischer lovebird, or a parrotlet to start. I am worried that I don't really have an aviary, just a bedroom. I know some people let their parakeets fly around the house, though.

I know budgies are the most popular of those, is that because they are less expensive? or is there another reason?

Now that people have seen my cage, which is really just a bedroom, will they think twice about the advice?

Edit: I mean two parakeets, etc. I would get a pair.

Last edited by Karen59; 05-02-2016 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
So maybe, I should just get a budgie, or a Fischer lovebird, or a parrotlet to start. I am worried that I don't really have an aviary, just a bedroom. I know some people let their parakeets fly around the house, though.

I know budgies are the most popular of those, is that because they are less expensive? or is there another reason?

Now that people have seen my cage, which is really just a bedroom, will they think twice about the advice?

First, let me say that I'm not a bird-knowledgeable person like Foxy and others. There are some very knowledgeable people here.

Second, I love what you're doing here with that bedroom. If I were able to do this (and believe me I would if I could!!) I'd take the carpeting out, much easier to clean.

And third, what is an aviary but a large, open, safe airy habitat for birds to fly and live without being in a cage constantly. Which is pretty much what you're creating.

I'd also get some larger potted trees in there, the birds will love them. Please make sure they are safe for the birds to chew and pick on though. What are those potted plants you have in there?

Old 05-02-2016, 04:50 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
I used to have four finches and two canaries (in separate cages).

As time went on, I eventually ended up with one finch and one canary.

I put them in the same cage, and I think they fell in love!

I think canaries would be a good match for the finches. They eat basically the same food, so you wouldn't have to worry about different types of food for different birds.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,645 times
Quote:

My suggestions are as follows:

1) Put something under the cages to lift them up a little. Birds don't like to be in lower places.

2) Get 2 to 5 budgies.

Budgies are the most popular pet birds in the world because they are colorful, wonderful personalities, ability to mimic, easy to breed, and once again, tons of color mutations to choose from.

Are you looking just to add budgies to your room for decoration purposes, or are you looking to add tame pets, like Pedro here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em-Gw8k02UU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNV-rqmn3g

Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
with finches in mixed aviaries stick to peaceful seed eaters, small parakeet species like budgies and grass keets, other peaceful finches, canary, buton quail and small doves like diamond doves work fantastically

please do NOT mix finches with larger hookblls like lovebirds, parrotlets, larger parakeets (ie ring necks) teils, or of course any of the larger parrot species.
lovies will mi fine with budgies and teils but are too large and dominating to mix with peaceful finch species...
and Parrotlets are tiny amazons, they will KILL finches (especially if you end up with a pair (even same sex) who decide to defend a preferred site. plets are known for tking the toes off birds who are dumb enough to land on their cages, imagine the damage theyd do to a tiny little society finch.
I'm sorry, I didn't read this carefully. I will not get a parolet or love bird, therefore. Canary or budgies, potentially little quail. Thank you for helpful advice.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,645 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't read this carefully. I will not get a parolet or love bird, therefore. Canary or budgies, potentially little quail. Thank you for helpful advice.
He is overtly cautious. Many parrotlets and lovebirds are very peaceful with other birds in aviaries or in rooms.

But, if you want to be super safe, you should stick to budgies. Lutino budgies are very yellowful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7pE3EuMng

Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
budgies usually do ok with finches, just be sure theres enough nesting spaces...
any of the smaller finches will also work, just be careful with some of the larger finches (ie zebras) who can be too aggressive.

Housing Mixed Species Together - Finch Compatibility Chart
is a nice little chart.

you could also tr a few little button quail on the floor, they are adorable and help clean up the seed the finches drop.
thanks for the web page . It has a lot of useful information in general.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
My suggestions are as follows:

1) Put something under the cages to lift them up a little. Birds don't like to be in lower places.

2) Get 2 to 5 budgies.

Budgies are the most popular pet birds in the world because they are colorful, wonderful personalities, ability to mimic, easy to breed, and once again, tons of color mutations to choose from.

Are you looking just to add budgies to your room for decoration purposes, or are you looking to add tame pets, like Pedro here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em-Gw8k02UU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNV-rqmn3g
Oh, Pedro is amazing! I think you sold me on budgies. But I will go to the pet store and observe all the types of birds for a while.

Thanks, will do!

Are you looking just to add budgies to your room for decoration purposes, or are you looking to add tame pets

Realistically, they will not get much human interaction, but be left to their own in bird society, for the reason shown in picture below. I only open the cage door to clean and feed, and only when cats are securely locked. Although it is not for decoration, per se, that I want them. I see them as members of the family and I have learned all their personalities. I just can't let them outside their room. I hope that is okay for budgies.
Attached Thumbnails
society finch compatible-cats-outside-bird-room.jpg  

Old 05-03-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
First, let me say that I'm not a bird-knowledgeable person like Foxy and others. There are some very knowledgeable people here.

Second, I love what you're doing here with that bedroom. If I were able to do this (and believe me I would if I could!!) I'd take the carpeting out, much easier to clean.

And third, what is an aviary but a large, open, safe airy habitat for birds to fly and live without being in a cage constantly. Which is pretty much what you're creating.

I'd also get some larger potted trees in there, the birds will love them. Please make sure they are safe for the birds to chew and pick on though. What are those potted plants you have in there?
Thank you, the potted tree is a wonderful idea. I'll make sure it is some normal variety that is not poisonous. The plant is some type of common ivy, but I don't know what. They have built grass nest/caves in it.

Last edited by Karen59; 05-03-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Thank you, the potted tree is a wonderful idea. I'll make sure it is some normal variety that is not poisonous. The plant is some type of common ivy, but I don't know what. They have built grass nest/caves in it.
Your plant looks a bit like pothos, which I've read is toxic for parakeets. Not sure about finches, maybe they don't have as much tendency to chew things. There are lists of toxic and non toxic plants online. I Googled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds