Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:28 AM

16 posts, read 141,134 times

Advertisements

what do you know about the jane finch area in toronto? is it really dangerous, or does it have a bad reputation because of the population of immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estudiante View Post
what do you know about the jane finch area in toronto? is it really dangerous, or does it have a bad reputation because of the population of immigrants?
It is a very dangerous area. Avoid it at all times if possible and at night especially. Also be very careful in the Scarbourgh area after dark. That is where my wife used to live before her family wised up and moved to Pickering. Tha area has a population of immigrants- primarily from Jamaica and many of them are in various criminal gangs. Shootings are a common almost everyday thing there. Also the younger immigrants form "beat down crews" and what they do is randomly attack regular citizens and beat them really badly and steal their wallets and purses. If they see a US license plate in that area, you would be a prime target for a beat down.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
If you were to drive through the Jane and Finch area, you wouldn't even know that it's supposed to be a bad neighbourhood, it looks just like any other inner suburban Toronto intersection. The bad reputation of the area is way more hype than it is reality.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
If you were to drive through the Jane and Finch area, you wouldn't even know that it's supposed to be a bad neighbourhood, it looks just like any other inner suburban Toronto intersection. The bad reputation of the area is way more hype than it is reality.
I disagree. While I agree that it does not LOOK like a "ghetto" you'd find in the USA, it is still quite dangerous there- especially if you are a tourist over there after dark. Watch CP/24- every day there is something that happens over there.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 141,134 times
thanks kev k for the info on jane finch. im just trying to find out how "ghetto" it is in comparison to the "ghettos" in the usa. im thinking about relocating to toronto, and it seems that the jane finch area has som pretty inexpensive housing, which is a plus for me. and being a person of color, i doubt that i would be an easier target, as opposed to someone of "caucasian" descent

Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
thanks kev k for the info on jane finch. im just trying to find out how "ghetto" it is in comparison to the "ghettos" in the usa. im thinking about relocating to toronto, and it seems that the jane finch area has som pretty inexpensive housing, which is a plus for me. and being a person of color, i doubt that i would be an easier target, as opposed to someone of "caucasian" descent
Although it seems most of the victims of gun violence (usually murders) are visible minorities, and black/African decent could be the most common of all of them.

There are probably better, cheap places to relocate to in the Toronto area. Some in Toronto, some just outside.
Unless you don't want a car, you might want to also consider living in the suburbs.

These "bad areas" that we hear about in the news are often not more than one-square mile in size.
Toronto itself is a dense city with dozens, perhaps hundreds of different kinds of neighbourhoods and communities.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 51,631 times
Default What's in a name?

The Jane and Finch Area is not as bad as it is made out to be. In my opinion, the only people that ever say that the area is "dangerous" are people that don't live in the area. So really they are in no place to speak about the safety of the area.

I grew up in the Jane and Finch area (5 mins walk south of Finch, right on Jane Street). My sister and I along with many of my friends from the area are university graduates with hardworking parents.

As far as the dangers of the area, well I lived there up until 2004 and not once have i ever heard a gun shot ring out, not once has anyone ever hassled my sister or I, and not once was I ever offered drugs. In fact, not until I started university did I ever even come into contact with drugs, and the ironic part is, it was the wealthy white ones commenting on areas such as Jane and Finch that would be using.

As long as you follow your instincts you’ll be fine. If you see a street that isn’t lit properly and people loitering about, don’t walk down the street by yourself. It’s not a science.

If you are hoping to buy a place in the area I would recommend against it, as housing prices in the area only tend to decrease. If you plan to rent try your best to stay out of the high rises as that is where a lot of crime tends to be concentrated.

The Jane and Finch area I believe has a strong sense of community due in part by the stigma attached to the area by others that have never actually been there. The area is colorful, vibrant and pulsating with life. The truth is, where ever you find a group of minorities coexisting, you can be sure that others will label the area unsafe and not fit for cohabitation. I have never felt unsafe walking down the street in the area at any time of day or night.

As long as you aren't caught up in the underground seedy side of Jane and Finch politics the area in my opinion is perfectly fine. If you can handle the stigma that goes along with you residing in the area, I’d say you'll be just fine, because honestly, that's probably about as your associating with the area will ever get.

Take Care.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 AM
WZL

3 posts, read 62,304 times
Default No biggie

Quote:
I have lived in Chicago (Southside) and am currently living in one of these so-called "bad neighborhoods" (Vaughn/Oakwood). Compared to the States, the "ghettos" here are much more tame. I have not heard one shot or seen any violent or criminal activity so far. In Chicago, the "hood" was real. Toronto - 80 gun murders; Chicago - 600. You do the math. What is coined "ghetto" or "bad neighborhood" in Toronto is usually not even nearly the same as a ghetto in the States.

However, it doesn't mean nothing happens or that nothing could happen. If you look for trouble, trouble will find you.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,476 times
Jane and Finch is perhaps the most DANGEROUS part of Canada
Then again, it is the most dangerous part of CANADA.

The area compares to most of the “safer” areas of US cities.
To respond to some of the things said here

“Avoid it at all times if possible and at night especially.”
I’ve been there at 3am and lived to tell the tale. The most dangerous time is not at “night”, as “night” is a very long time, but rather between 9pm and 1am.

“Also be very careful in the Scarbourgh area after dark”
Bunk. Parts of Scarborough are bad, this is akin to saying “avoid Brooklyn”

“Tha area has a population of immigrants- primarily from Jamaica and many of them are in various criminal gangs.”
True

“Also the younger immigrants form "beat down crews" and what they do is randomly attack regular citizens and beat them really badly and steal their wallets and purses.” Not true, mostly. While there have been some innocents attacked, mostly you just get mugged. There is always the chance, however, and I personally would not take the risk.

“If you were to drive through the Jane and Finch area, you wouldn't even know that it's supposed to be a bad neighbourhood, it looks just like any other inner suburban Toronto intersection.” 100% true

“every day there is something that happens over there.” True, or near true

“im just trying to find out how "ghetto" it is in comparison to the "ghettos" in the usa.”
It’s like a dream compared to US ghettos

“and being a person of color, i doubt that i would be an easier target” that’s a false assumption. Most of the victims are black themselves.

“There are probably better, cheap places to relocate to in the Toronto area.”
Regent Park and Malvern were once thought of to be ‘as bad as’ Jane and Finch, but both are getting far better. Rents, however, have not caught up, and hence, you can find good bargains here.

“As long as you follow your instincts you’ll be fine.” Ditto that. So long as you don’t decide that when a thug glares at you that it’s an excellent time for a staring competition, you’ll be fine.

“If you are hoping to buy a place in the area I would recommend against it, as housing prices in the area only tend to decrease. If you plan to rent try your best to stay out of the high rises as that is where a lot of crime tends to be concentrated.” I’ll agree with this.
“these so-called "bad neighborhoods" (Vaughn/Oakwood).”
That’s a bad neighbourhood?! I live just south of you in the Christie Pitts area, and always thought it clean and nice, but recently graffiti has exploded, and while walking down a dark alley, I thought I saw someone pull out a gun on someone else in the distance *ack* so now I take a different route to work. Actually this is the first time I told anybody about that. Had they saw me I’d have just insisted I saw nothing and went on my day. I know more about the underworld then my straightedge personality would let on, and so long as your smart, you’ll be fine, Jane and Finch or not. I would, however, just say that the tip to avoid high-rises at Jane and Finch is a good one

Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Toronto didn't have 80 "gun" murders in 2007, it had 80 murders in total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto