Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 16,804 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is being transferred to The Shops at Grand River. We are in our late-twenties, no children and have two dogs. We are from and currently live in Houston, Texas.

Neither of us have ever been to Birmingham. I've been researching neighborhoods to look into, and have come up with the obvious (Mountain Brook, Vestivia Hills, Homewood, etc), but Grand River is going to be located near Leeds. (Website states: Grand River is conveniently located along the I-20 growth corridor between Birmingham and Atlanta in the Historic Leeds area.)

Are there any neighborhoods near the shops that are recommended? Also, I haven't heard anything about Cahaba Heights, and it looks to be on/near 459, and a close shot to the shops.

We will be looking to rent for awhile once we arrive (rather than immediately purchase a home) to get the lay of the land, so to speak. Any ideas for good/safe condos, apartment complexes, rental homes? We do not have an unlimited budget at this time, but do not want to be in an unsafe area. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:02 PM

897 posts, read 2,454,650 times
Cahaba Heights is a great area- look there- Leeds is about 20 minutes from MB - Cahaba Heights area

Old 07-08-2010, 05:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
I second the Cahaba Heights suggestion. Safe area and fairly convenient to 459, which your DH will take to I-20 and to Leeds. Leeds is really a suburb of B'ham now, but I wouldn't recommend renting out there. If you're interested in nightlife, restaurants, entertainment, etc., you'll want to be closer in to town.

You don;t mention the breeds of your dogs, but if you have "bully" breeds you may have trouble renting an apartment. You could also consider renting a house.
Welcome to Birmingham!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 16,993 times
We just moved to Moody about 2 months ago. It is right off of I-20 and about 15 minutes from the Shops at Grand River. It is a relatively small & quiet town, but seems to be growing. We don't have much shopping, but we are close enough to all the major shopping towns. There are several newer developments here and a nice looking apartment complex called Oaks of St Clair. You may also want to consider Trussville. If you want to be close to nightlife, restaurants, shopping, Moody would be a little out of your way but it is very close to the Shops at Grand River. I would stay away from Leeds- some parts are nice but the town seems to be in decline.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 16,804 times
Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to check out Cahaba Heights. What about Calera? Is that too far?

We're not interested in nightlife, at all. Non-smokers/Non-drinkers, here...

We have two beagle hounds that weigh less than 40lbs each.

Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,549 times
I think Leeds and Moody are fine places to stay, so you might also want to check those out since that's where he'll end up working anyway.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Calera is too far away- Trussville is pretty big -

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Calera is too far- what about a rental on Lake Logan Martin-it's pretty close

Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,745 times
You may want to look into a new development in Leeds called Stoneybrook Plantation. There are 30 plus medium to upscale home sites there. There are several homes for sale or you can build your own. It is a great neighborhood, your dogs would love it here. It is very close to Grand River (2-3 miles ) and the 119/280 area (8-9 miles ). The neighborhood has a great country feel but is still close to everything. The Leeds area is really on the upswing and is a great value right now. We love it here and are always looking for new neighbors. Welcome to our area and good luck with your home search.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,695 times
I just bought a house in Leeds in February and LOVE it here. Whoever thinks the town on in decline clearly hasn't been there. I rented an apartment in Trussville for 1 year before buying in Leeds and wouldn't recommend living there because the roads are way too congested. Leeds is central to I20/59, Hwy119, & Hwy 78 and therse 3 roads will get to almost anywhere you'd want to go. Welcome to Alabama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area