Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM

49 posts, read 63,991 times

Advertisements

We will be moving back to B'ham in the next couple of months and have decided that we want to be in Vestavia. We will have a child entering Kindergarten in the fall. We have looked at homes zoned for both East and West and reviewed test scores etc. Test scores are pretty comparable with East being a tad higher. What we have noticed is that East seems to be much more desirable than West for some reason. THe only reason I can figure is that while there are plenty of high dollar homes zoned for West, it seems that the average price of homes zoned for East is higher and of course the Country Club area homes and a few other very desirable subdivisions are zoned for East. Does anyone living in Vestavia have any insight into the differences between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
At the end of the day, there's difference between the two is insignificant. Just buy the house you like and don't sweat it. The real teaching will be taking place at the middle school and high school, and all kids will be going there.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Default Vestavia Elementary Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
At the end of the day, there's difference between the two is insignificant. Just buy the house you like and don't sweat it. The real teaching will be taking place at the middle school and high school, and all kids will be going there.
We are quite frustrated right now with our search in Vestavia as we see several houses in the 300K range zoned for West that we like while what we like and/or comparable size wise zoned for East is in 400K-550K range. While we could afford that, we are really questioning how wise it would be to spend that from a resale stand point with the economy being the way it is and what it will be like going forward although we would plan on staying there long term- 10+ years.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times
I would bet on all of Vestavia having good resale value. It is one of the more conveniently placed suburbs with a top school district.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM

52 posts, read 98,249 times
We are West, and I just don't think the difference is worth not living where you want to live. As far as resale value goes, we sold a house that was purchased in 2006(historically high prices) and sold in 2010(historically low prices) and we sold it for the same amount and it was only on the market 11 days. I will say that the house we bought had gone in value from what the seller bought it, but that is expected the higher price house you purchase. We live near the high school, and we love it. I will also say that I have noticed way more sold signs as of late where I live. I would still say it is a great time to buy with low rates. JMO.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM

We'll be back in town next week sometime to look at a few more houses and take a 2nd look at a few we looked at before. When we lived in Vestavia pre-kids we were zoned for west. The houses we really like are zoned for west, plus our BIL and SIL live in Vestavia and are zoned for West too. We're thinking car pooling would be a big plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area