Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times

Advertisements

Son and daughter-in-law bought their first house in Pelham a couple of years ago. Nice little neighborhood...well, not really little. But it's a good spot for starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Son and daughter-in-law bought their first house in Pelham a couple of years ago. Nice little neighborhood...well, not really little. But it's a good spot for starting out.
Indeed. But not where I'd want to commute from.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
When I think of living in Alabaster or Helena, all I can think about is getting caught behind one of those trains. I'm sure it isn't as bad as I think it is, but the couple of times I've had to wait for one when driving in those areas was enough. I think they were working on some sort of scheduling to make sure it didn't bother the morning and evening commute, but I don't know.

I think after the housing fall out and the sudden move to revitalize the city's core, all tree of those you mentioned have reached their peak with Pelham being the nicest of the three. But unless I was getting some sort of killer deal on a place I loved,I just wouldn't consider it.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM

415 posts, read 801,965 times
I grew up in Pelham. Not a bad place to live. But I think there are other areas I would recommend first. However, I would venture to say it's the nicest when compared to Helena and Alabaster. Helena is basically surrounded by railroads and it can get frustrating. There also isn't as much room for expansion in Helena. Alabaster is...well it's Alabaster. Doesn't have the best reputation for several reasons.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Indeed. But not where I'd want to commute from.
Son and DIL both work downtown. But I think it was a matter of what they could afford.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:50 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
The problem with Pelham is I-65, plain and simple. It's a regular occurrence for there to be accidents around Alton Rd and Green Springs coming out of downtown, and you either have to go that way or down 280, neither of which are ideal. I don't know what your budget is, but I would agree that you should try to be inside 459 if you can. Hard to say if it's doable without knowing your price limit, though.

I think more and more people are living in Chelsea these days if they want a place where they can spread out a bit, but then you have the 280 problem again. Depending on money and all that, my ideal choice these days would be Vestavia Hills, but it can be pricey. There are a couple of non-over-the-mountain areas that are up and coming, such as Avondale and Forest Park, but I'm not sure if those would be all that great with a family.

Sorry of this isn't very helpful. Finding a place in Birmingham can be tough, but it's worth your time to put in the effort and make sure you pick the right place.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 19,873 times
Thanks Ship, that was extremely helpful along with the other posts as well. When it boils down to it, price is a huge factor and it's tough to break into those mountain brook, vestavia neighborhoods without shelling out 300k+. At the moment we're just not there.

Again thanks to all for being so helpful.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
The problem with Pelham is I-65, plain and simple. It's a regular occurrence for there to be accidents around Alton Rd and Green Springs coming out of downtown, and you either have to go that way or down 280, neither of which are ideal. I don't know what your budget is, but I would agree that you should try to be inside 459 if you can. Hard to say if it's doable without knowing your price limit, though.

I think more and more people are living in Chelsea these days if they want a place where they can spread out a bit, but then you have the 280 problem again. Depending on money and all that, my ideal choice these days would be Vestavia Hills, but it can be pricey. There are a couple of non-over-the-mountain areas that are up and coming, such as Avondale and Forest Park, but I'm not sure if those would be all that great with a family.

Sorry of this isn't very helpful. Finding a place in Birmingham can be tough, but it's worth your time to put in the effort and make sure you pick the right place.
What I'd add to that is that the daily slog up 280 is misery. It makes 65 look like a cakewalk. I'd really go online and do some major bargain hunting to see what you can find inside the 459 corridor. Your sanity will thank you later.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 AM

52 posts, read 98,218 times
You can get into Vestavia for 250K, but it will either need a little work or you will be sacrificing square footage. Again, I work in Pelham and live in Vestavia. The people from both areas are great, and I do feel Pelham has some potential to even get better when the economy comes around. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbamadoc View Post
You can get into Vestavia for 250K, but it will either need a little work or you will be sacrificing square footage. Again, I work in Pelham and live in Vestavia. The people from both areas are great, and I do feel Pelham has some potential to even get better when the economy comes around. Good luck.
You can get in almost all areas in Bham for under 300K. It doesn't even have to be a place that needs a lot of work. It just depends what your expectations for a home are, and whether not having the commute is worth breaking some of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area