Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
One thing I've learned about business reporters over the years. They know little about business. Otherwise, they would be in business earning tons of money rather than mouldering in what is a dying business.
Well to be fair the guy that said it is a professor of Public Administration at the U of San Antonio. But to me he is no better then the so called "expert" drive by posters that come around here. I mean okay maybe places like Madison Square Garden or Cobo Hall have seen some decline. But just perhaps maybe there is a size or two of floor plans we can choose from between the BJCC and, say LA's Staples Center. Especially since we are losing money now because of what we've got. But I'm not sure though, I'm not an expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Well to be fair the guy that said it is a professor of Public Administration at the U of San Antonio. But to me he is no better then the so called "expert" drive by posters that come around here. I mean okay maybe places like Madison Square Garden or Cobo Hall have seen some decline. But just perhaps maybe there is a size or two of floor plans we can choose from between the BJCC and, say LA's Staples Center. Especially since we are losing money now because of what we've got. But I'm not sure though, I'm not an expert.

Oh, sure you are...

Remember when the BJCC COLISEUM seemed humongous. It's all so relative. People with blinders don't realize that growth of these facilities is a major business decision for this community and even the state. It affects air travel taxes, fuel taxes, lodging and food taxes, and of course sales taxes. And at such a huge level that of course the state should participate because they are first in line to get the above taxes.
It is so naïve that people frequently think it is about playing a ball game. But those people are not business experts either.

I am so amused that some of the experts make these blanket comments in the face of so many projects such as the new MUSIC CITY CENTER in Nashville. So far, the city and STATE building this, in spite of a standing convention center, have caused private investments of OVER ONE BILLION DOLLARS.
It's pretty hard to argue with the fact that the investments are new money and not just reshuffled resources.

I actually hate this subject because it is such a no brainer.

Raj

Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM

I agree. For them to still be talking about it is asinine. If the state wants big concerts, big conventions, big business or big anything to want to come to Alabama it is going to have to happen in Birmingham. Even if the project isn't specifically for our metro they should understand that conferences and meetings need to happen in the biggest nicest and most well equipped place to put out the welcome mat. But then also for entertainment options that have passed us by.

I'm still confident that Bell's announcement will come soon and put this to bed once and for all. It just can't come soon enough.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:14 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
I moved here only 2.5 years ago and I'm already frustrated with the conversation about the dome stadium. When I first moved to Birmingham, I wanted it to happen so badly. Now I just don't even care to discuss it because I feel like construction should have began 5 years ago... Or longer. I couldn't imagine fighting for this as long as some of you have.

There's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be already announced at least. Birmingham is a prime location for so many events... Especially given its relatively central location in the southeast for a metro area. I agree with so many other things that the city is spending money on... But I think if anything this should have probably been done first and everything else would have been that much more cost effective. Meh!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
I moved here only 2.5 years ago and I'm already frustrated with the conversation about the dome stadium. When I first moved to Birmingham, I wanted it to happen so badly. Now I just don't even care to discuss it because I feel like construction should have began 5 years ago... Or longer. I couldn't imagine fighting for this as long as some of you have.

There's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be already announced at least. Birmingham is a prime location for so many events... Especially given its relatively central location in the southeast for a metro area. I agree with so many other things that the city is spending money on... But I think if anything this should have probably been done first and everything else would have been that much more cost effective. Meh!

Some good thoughts, but you seem terribly negative, considering a lot of good things have started happening suddenly.

Raj

Old 05-09-2014, 03:51 PM

No, I'm not. That post may have seemed negative but I'm generally excited about all of the things that have happened since I moved here. I come from a much larger city where things have already developed well before I was born. To be in a place that is in the middle of a renaissance of sorts is very exciting for me. I know that when I look back, even if I don't stay here, I will be able to say, "I remember when." That's exciting to me.

As far as my comment about the dome, it just should have happened already. There is no other explanation or debate about it. The city seems as if it can afford it and if it can't, it should look at its budget. The tax increase was put there for that purpose and the city has already made the money to have paid it off by now. Maybe they have it all in a giant savings account ready to pay cash for it? Lol.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 PM

Nah I think they have dipped in to it for some other projects like the Crossplex and maybe Uptown but there should still be plenty of revenue coming in to bankroll it.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspacesbham View Post
No, I'm not. That post may have seemed negative but I'm generally excited about all of the things that have happened since I moved here. I come from a much larger city where things have already developed well before I was born. To be in a place that is in the middle of a renaissance of sorts is very exciting for me. I know that when I look back, even if I don't stay here, I will be able to say, "I remember when." That's exciting to me.

As far as my comment about the dome, it just should have happened already. There is no other explanation or debate about it. The city seems as if it can afford it and if it can't, it should look at its budget. The tax increase was put there for that purpose and the city has already made the money to have paid it off by now. Maybe they have it all in a giant savings account ready to pay cash for it? Lol.
I wondered if you were a serious poster. I can see you have done your homework on this issue and you're absolutely correct.

As Tourian stated, the cash rolls in everyday. It is just a matter of hoping they have not gotten use to using it for reduced city income during the recession. And yes, it has been spent elsewhere that does not have the immediate impact that it would have serving the region as opposed to just a neighborhood with occasional events.(no matter the potential. First things first) But the real problem for me is that when new revenue is enacted, I think it should go to the benefit of that which was proposed for funding. Obviously and unfortunately it is legal to do as they have.

I too am impatient about the expansion of BJCC. It is the front door to the city.

Raj

Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM

On the bright side, Uptown is now fully leased. If that hasn't been mentioned yet. I do not know much about the latest tenant but it bodes well for the development.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

I also think the funding should go towards the purpose that it was enacted for... Completely. However, if it isn't, it should go to some other project that has some similar results as its original intention. I think doing street upgrades for the rotary trail, the pedestrian bridge to railroad park, and other similar projects are helpful for bettering the city. Do they have the economic impact on the city that the arena would? That's not even a real question. But, at least they are still making progress in the city.

That can also be a problem too because people start looking at everything else going on and get satisfied... Then forget that they are paying for a new arena every time they slap down an extra penny for a soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area