Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times

Advertisements

This is good news. Maybe they'll be the partner if a new dome stadium comes.

BJCC Arena sells naming rights in 5-year, $2 million deal with Legacy Community Federal Credit Union | AL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I hope so. We are running out of time for Bell's promised before year end announcement.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:21 AM

I'm wondering when someone at the BBJ or AL.COM is going to corner him and ask about it? You know, a little accountability if you will.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I'm wondering when someone at the BBJ or AL.COM is going to corner him and ask about it? You know, a little accountability if you will.
it's not going to happen and i'm surprised anyone actually thought it would.

this dome/multipurpose facility has been a few years away for a couple decades now.

maybe one day it will happen, but there's really no use in worrying about it until firm plans are in place, financing is there, and dirt starts moving.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:16 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
This might be a good time to remind that dedicated funding has been in place a few years now and has collected enough to pay for 3/4 of the costs. But alas it is being spent willi nilli.

This is my main issue with Mayor Bell who has served us well after decades of buffoonery.

I do have faith in him however. He knows what this project means to Birmingham. He is strattling the divide between the greater good and those who think on a district level.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
This might be a good time to remind that dedicated funding has been in place a few years now and has collected enough to pay for 3/4 of the costs. But alas it is being spent willi nilli.

This is my main issue with Mayor Bell who has served us well after decades of buffoonery.

I do have faith in him however. He knows what this project means to Birmingham. He is strattling the divide between the greater good and those who think on a district level.
$400 million has been collected?

Even if it has been collected, if it has all been spent (and I'm pretty sure it has) then it's a moot point. Right now, Birmingham's balance sheet is pretty ugly. Isn't there something a ~$120 million bond that the city draws from to push projects along? The city could use every dime of that and it would merely be a down payment for the facility.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM

No, all of the funds have not been spent. (at my last reading the collections were around 300 million, and at least half of that was spent to my knowledge, but the funding is not static)
As you know they do not have to have the funds in hand, just dedicated funding to support the financial instrument to move forward. (which of course means that once that financial instrument has been formalized they will not be able to use it as they have)

Birmingaham's balance sheet is far from being one of the worst around in these grey times. It has been fifty years since the kind of building and development that is going on in the valley has occured. This speaks very well for future tax collections as opposed to the past years before the Summit opened.
This is far from the darkest moment in the episodic planning for the expansion of the BJCC. The Westin/Uptown has been a great success and I have no doubt they will follow through with the planned expansion of same. (it and all the other new restaurants now open DT, and coming, are increasing the funding source daily)
Although the delays of this project since 1996 are very unfortunate, and have driven the price up, we are most likely in a better position today to finance this, even now that the county is not involved directly.

Last edited by raj kapoor; 12-18-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
They are looking to spend 700k on LF. Although this is just a band aid as opposed to a complete overhaul, I think it is necessary because even if a MUF were to break ground today, it would be ~3 years before it was ready. Also, the latest reports on what is going on with UAB and the fact that Birmingham's city council and some business are ready to turn their backs on Watts and the BBA it seems they are openly doubting their decision to cut football.

How the Birmingham Business Alliance's support of UAB President Ray Watts drew the wrath of many | AL.com

Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM

I think something needs to be done. However, I would say that maybe the city should throw that money at UAB for an on-campus stadium if they bring the football team back. I think that would have a bigger impact on the city's future... Especially on the site where they previously planned to build it. That would bring that much more life to Parkside. I'm probably just dreaming with that recommendation though.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I think something needs to be done. However, I would say that maybe the city should throw that money at UAB for an on-campus stadium if they bring the football team back. I think that would have a bigger impact on the city's future... Especially on the site where they previously planned to build it. That would bring that much more life to Parkside. I'm probably just dreaming with that recommendation though.

Your dream is not as far out as the city thinking that Legion Field has even a marginal future.

It is old, rusting and falling apart. It is in a horrible part of town which would not be so bad except that it isn't even on a major thoroughfare. And if all that is not enough, it has no really adequate, dedicated parking.

We can not afford to have people from out of town getting lost in that area to be harmed ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area