Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM

415 posts, read 801,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
But another reason I will not go to Oak Mountain is that the last time I went about 7 years ago, there were about 10 State Troopers or local cops set up outside the park to run the IDs of everyone that visited the park, on theier way out. They were stopping every car and asking people for their IDs, you could not leave without going through this road block. They asked for the ID of every adult in our car. Including my 17 year old son. I've never been to Oak Mountain since, and will never go again.
Sounds like they were looking for someone. I am pretty sure that is not a normal practice. I grew up going to Oak Mountain regularly and never encountered what you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Wow, if I was moving to B'ham and read the responses I've seen on this forum today and in the past I would probably reverse and say "no" to the job offer or whatever. I mean the very first response to the original post doesn't even look like it is answering the question. More like someone who is just sitting at home looking for bad things to say to people who post questions.

But anyway, about Oak Mountain: I live only 4 miles from that place and it's probably a great place to spend time if you have all day, and maybe if you are having a family reunion or something where you need tons of space and options for people to do something all day. But otherwise, like the other person said, you have to pay to get in, and it's actually kind of a long haul to get to where you want to go even after you get in the entrance. I prefer the Preserve in Hoover over Oak Mountain. It's free and size wize just right.

But another reason I will not go to Oak Mountain is that the last time I went about 7 years ago, there were about 10 State Troopers or local cops set up outside the park to run the IDs of everyone that visited the park, on theier way out. They were stopping every car and asking people for their IDs, you could not leave without going through this road block. They asked for the ID of every adult in our car. Including my 17 year old son. I've never been to Oak Mountain since, and will never go again.

It reads as though you have not heard of RED MOUNTAIN PARK. Another great park, (new and just developing) that is VERY large, (think Central Park NY, plus)
Except, in this case, one does not have to drive or walk for ever to actually be in the park. If you trail walk though, shouldn't you expect some distance will be involved.

What happened to you at Oak Mountain, (a state park) is unfortunate but comes with being an adult in the world. Some times we have to deal with official situations. I hope you are not avoiding roads where you have had to give way to ambulances. It is really the same thing. Dealing with things beyond our control that affect us, supposedly for the greater good. Society's inconveniences. I'm not so sure about such anger. Maybe you were tired from the visit and it was frustration. But it does seem unreasonable to have a vendetta against a park.

Anyway, do look up RED MOUNTAIN, you will like the price.

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area