Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 12:17 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-projects.html

The organization in charge of providing affordable housing for qualified families in Birmingham is one step closer to repositioning its public housing portfolio.

The Housing Authority of the Birmingham District (HABD) closed its search for development teams. It received proposals from 14 local and national affordable housing developers and plans to begin evaluating proposals on June 14.

The selected development teams will partner with the HABD to design, finance, construct and implement one or more of the development projects in the city.

The HABD’s Tom Brown Village (Avondale), Marks Village (Gate City), Reverend Dr. Morrell Todd Homes, Collegeville Center, North Birmingham Homes, Smithfield Court, and Elyton Village communities will be priority projects for the chosen development teams to either redevelop or replace.

David A. Northern Sr., HABD’s president and CEO, said the move takes the entity a step closer to changing the character of public housing in Birmingham.

“This is the first step in our aggressive campaign to reposition our portfolio in order to revitalize our aging public housing communities and provide additional, quality affordable housing options because we realize there’s a great need for a number of families,” he said.

HABD said it has been challenged to reposition its aging housing portfolio with less federal funding. Still, it plans to convert its public housing to a project-based voucher platform to gain access to private funding and meet the affordable housing needs of the community.

The organization already has some big projects on the books. Crews began preparing its Southtown Court public housing site for demolition at the start of June. The project is expected to bring significant development to the surrounding neighborhoods.

HABD plans to notify developers of contract awards on July 19.

I hope that they move forward with an eye towards correcting the worst impulses of past public housing policy. Based on what little I know, it seems that programs such as Hope VI really provide a road map towards creating communities that are far healthier than what exists today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 12:29 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,173,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I hope that they move forward with an eye towards correcting the worst impulses of past public housing policy. Based on what little I know, it seems that programs such as Hope VI really provide a road map towards creating communities that are far healthier than what exists today.
It does. Just look at the three they have redeveloped so far. Park Place replacing Metropolitian Gardens downtown, Tuxedo Terrance I replacing the "infamous" Brickyard in Ensley and The Villas at Titusville replacing Loverman Village. All three has been less to any of a criminal activities hotspot since redevelopment. The area/units is more appealing than what was there.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times
The Villas at Titusville show up in the latest Google Maps images as well. Definitely looks a lot better than Loveman Village:

Villas at Titusville

Old 06-17-2021, 02:22 PM

450 posts, read 337,774 times
Developer Launching $40M Rehab of Building Trades Tower in 5 Points:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...nts-south.html

Another big time project in Southside - 242 total units the majority of which are deemed workforce housing. 5 Points is really building a critical mass.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
Developer Launching $40M Rehab of Building Trades Tower in 5 Points:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...nts-south.html

Another big time project in Southside - 242 total units the majority of which are deemed workforce housing. 5 Points is really building a critical mass.
Same development group that redeveloped the American Life building (my current building), and they also is doing the Old Red Cross building on 3rd Ave. They also will be behind some development units at Carraway as well.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Same develolment group that redeveloped the American Life building (my current building), and they also is doing the Old Red Cross building on 3rd Ave. They also will be behind some development units at Carraway as well.

How do you like that building? A friend of my son's moving to town looking for reccs.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
How do you like that building? A friend of my son's moving to town looking for reccs.
I moved from Inglenook (like 7 mins away) in April. I luv it so far. I have a 1 bed studio on the 4th floor with a view of the skyline. Lofts comes with granite kitchen and bathroom counters. High windows. Secured parking lot. Blocks from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ave districts. Utitlities are a set fee included in the rent. For water, power, gas, garbarge and parking is $135. So you pay that exact fee every month.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I moved from Inglenook (like 7 mins away) in April. I luv it so far. I have a 1 bed studio on the 4th floor with a view of the skyline. Lofts comes with granite kitchen and bathroom counters. High windows. Secured parking lot. Blocks from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ave districts. Utitlities are a set fee included in the rent. For water, power, gas, garbarge and parking is $135. So you pay that exact fee every month.

Great. I'll suggest it. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:56 PM

great news about the Trades Tower. although i guess if they're using a Historic Tax Credit, they can't change much on the facade. let's be honest... that thing is pretty brutal looking.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:57 PM

so with the announcement about The Frank redevelopment (also $40 million) just 4 weeks ago, that's 180 + 242 = 422 new units announced downtown in the past month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area