Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 04:13 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times

Advertisements

wish there were a site plan... i can't tell where this is going in relation to the 2222 office building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 04:24 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
wish there were a site plan... i can't tell where this is going in relation to the 2222 office building.

I think it's currently the vacant lot where you get off the Expressway and curl to the right on the way to Arlington. The other part of the property where the current building is will be reworked for the new tenant.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:43 PM

43 posts, read 31,403 times
There was a Facebook group thread created by Birmingham now asking the opinion on what residents of Birmingham wanted more of or considered important. Guess what the #1 issue was? AFFORDABLE SAFE HOUSING.

Will post the top most liked and loved comment:

“Housing options that aren’t “luxury” condos or apartments (read: way too expensive for the shoebox it is, dressed up with shiny fixtures). We can’t possibly have that many luxurious people in this town. Build something a majority of people here could afford, that isn’t unsafe or studio-sized or crumbling around us.“

Sounds somewhat like my “rant”

Old 11-16-2021, 06:17 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think it's currently the vacant lot where you get off the Expressway and curl to the right on the way to Arlington. The other part of the property where the current building is will be reworked for the new tenant.
that makes sense. so this one?

Google Street View

Old 11-16-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
that makes sense. so this one?

Google Street View

That's my guess.

Old 11-16-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachadoo92 View Post
There was a Facebook group thread created by Birmingham now asking the opinion on what residents of Birmingham wanted more of or considered important. Guess what the #1 issue was? AFFORDABLE SAFE HOUSING.

Will post the top most liked and loved comment:

“Housing options that aren’t “luxury” condos or apartments (read: way too expensive for the shoebox it is, dressed up with shiny fixtures). We can’t possibly have that many luxurious people in this town. Build something a majority of people here could afford, that isn’t unsafe or studio-sized or crumbling around us.“

Sounds somewhat like my “rant”

Just because it's most liked and loved doesn't mean a hill of beans, especially given how those apartments are pretty much approaching full occupancy.

Here's the amazing thing. If those apartments don't fill up, guess what happens? The rent comes down. You know, supply and demand.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:09 PM

43 posts, read 31,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Just because it's most liked and loved doesn't mean a hill of beans, especially given how those apartments are pretty much approaching full occupancy.

Here's the amazing thing. If those apartments don't fill up, guess what happens? The rent comes down. You know, supply and demand.
So how many condos and “luxury” apartments will be built before the core population of Birmingham that isn’t luxurious is catered to? I just read an article about the American Red Cross building being redeveloped into apartments. It mentioned American Life as it’s model and stated that the rent would be around $750 like American Life….yeah that was $300-$500 ago. So what’s driving up these housing prices? Supply and demand? Really? Inflation? I’d love to know why. I’ve also never known a land lord or leasing company to lower rent. Ever. If supply went up it would still stay the same.

And anyone that cares about Birmingham and its future SHOULD care about what the majority of its citizenry wants or cares about. The pulse of Birmingham matters and I would say that we are sick of new luxury housing that’s out of reach for the majority of its population.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:18 PM

346 posts, read 265,958 times
Quote:
So how many condos and “luxury” apartments will be built before the core population of Birmingham that isn’t luxurious is catered to? I just read an article about the American Red Cross building being redeveloped into apartments. It mentioned American Life as it’s model and stated that the rent would be around $750 like American Life….yeah that was $300-$500 ago. So what’s driving up these housing prices? Supply and demand? Really? Inflation? I’d love to know why. I’ve also never known a land lord or leasing company to lower rent. Ever. If supply went up it would still stay the same.

And anyone that cares about Birmingham and its future SHOULD care about what the majority of its citizenry wants or cares about. The pulse of Birmingham matters and I would say that we are sick of new luxury housing that’s out of reach for the majority of its population.
Here's the thing that you apparently don't understand. Everyone wants cheaper housing. I'd love to spend less money on housing each month. This is a conversation everywhere in the world. Tough ****, but everyone can't live exactly where they want to live. No one deserves to live in a specific place. If you want cheaper housing, the #1 thing you should want is more and more housing. Supply of housing is what slows down prices. If you limit housing supply or cap rent increases, it will just make the problem worse. Government can have a helping hand in subsiding costs for some people, but that's about it.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Blah blah blahbity blah. Grow up. Seriously. I mean it. Rather than ranting about what things should cost, how about laying down your copy of Jacobin and understanding what they do cost?

It's like you're completely disconnected from reality on five major counts:

1) Nobody is going to invest tens of millions of dollars to build an apartment complex at a price point for which there's no demand. They perform market surveys and the whole nine yards. I mean, you act as if the developer just drives by in a pickup truck and says, "Yeehaw. Let's put 250 units here and jack the price up sky high!" Those suckers look at a property literally for months trying to make the numbers work before cutting the deal.

2) Nobody is going to invest tens of millions of dollars to charge the kind of rent that doesn't let them make a profit.

3) There are available apartments on Southside and Homewood near the price point you mention.

4) Last time I checked, the law of Supply and Demand is still in effect. In case you haven't noticed, there's an influx of people coming into the market, driven by UAB and the city's growing tech sector. The more people needing places to rent, voila, the more rent goes up.

5) Prices never go down on anything. Seriously. It doesn't matter what you're buying. It's a concept known as inflation. 2-3% in most years, 6-8% this year. Or are you not aware of this?

What's your solution? Public housing? Who the hell wants to live there? Rent control? If anything, rent control has led to less housing availability wherever it's tried. Go spend some time in Manhattan and see what an average rent control apartment looks like. They make the crappiest apartment in Birmingham look like a freaking paradise in comparison.

If you can't find an apartment, then do one of two things. Either move further out or get a roommate. I had to do it when I was single. So do most people. What makes you so special?

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 11-16-2021 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-16-2021, 10:01 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,338,795 times
Quote:

It will be facing the street that curves around the Sirote building by their parking garage. (parallel and north of Arlington Ave.) It will be about even with the Sirote building height, so it will make an impression on the RME. There will be a new entrance to the 2222 building with reflecting pool between the Tramont and the 2222. A common but private space for the residents of the Condo.

Soon buildings of similar and slightly higher elevations will be north and across the RME along that side replacing the Southtown Court which is really going to make that stretch of RME, including St. Vincent quite the most urban length of freeway even including Center CIty.

So glad the state is refreshing the RME with new center guards and rework landscaping and ramps before the World Games. It has really needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area