Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 01:52 PM

346 posts, read 267,636 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love all of the density increase all these projects are bringing. It will keep building on itself as we go too. I'm surprised a few of the surface lots in the city center haven't sold yet, I'm sure it will happen in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 02:55 PM

464 posts, read 344,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
^from the article...

The forum would be located on Seventh Avenue North between 16th and 17th streets. A portion of the property is owned by the city of Birmingham, and a portion is owned by Alabama Power Co. It is located across from Kelly Ingram Park and across the street from the historic Sixteenth Street Baptist Church. It is located in an Opportunity Zone.
Part of the area they have listed as "future expansion" is currently the APCO Credit Union HQ. I know it would be multiple years out, but it seems like they could pick another underutilized block nearby rather than knocking down a fairly new building.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
I absolutely love all of the density increase all these projects are bringing. It will keep building on itself as we go too. I'm surprised a few of the surface lots in the city center haven't sold yet, I'm sure it will happen in the next few years.
No doubt. All these projects keep snowballing the density effect. As much as downtown has changed in the last decade, I think the change from 2019 to 2029 will be even more dramatic. History would say we'll likely have to contend with a recession at some point in the decade which would slow things down. However, I think the biggest landmine we need to avoid is Regions getting acquired.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 PM

675 posts, read 524,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
No doubt. All these projects keep snowballing the density effect. As much as downtown has changed in the last decade, I think the change from 2019 to 2029 will be even more dramatic. History would say we'll likely have to contend with a recession at some point in the decade which would slow things down. However, I think the biggest landmine we need to avoid is Regions getting acquired.
That's a topic for a new thread ha. If Regions is acquired, yes it will be bad but I think there's some good news there too. It would allow Birmingham to come into it's own so to speak (makes little sense probably). It would allow the organic parts of the city to do their thing. It would probably shrink, be less attractive to other economic activity, but the cool parts, IMO, would shine brighter.

Look at Ashville, NC. No big corporations there, yet it's a city content on being not HUGE and they do their thing very well. It's a lovely place to go.

Birmingham has enough home-grown-ness to be ok and might even allow itself to morph into its own.

Maybe then it will shed the comparisonitus problem to its more successful neighbors and grow an identity of its own. I feel like it's trying to do that now.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:15 AM

I sort of get where you're coming from, but losing a Fortune 500 company in no way would be a positive in my opinion. Birmingham needs to grow, not shrink. In order for cool areas to thrive, it takes people with money to spend. If Regions went away you're talking about 6k well paying white collar jobs disappearing.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 AM

377 posts, read 343,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
^from the article...

The forum would be located on Seventh Avenue North between 16th and 17th streets. A portion of the property is owned by the city of Birmingham, and a portion is owned by Alabama Power Co. It is located across from Kelly Ingram Park and across the street from the historic Sixteenth Street Baptist Church. It is located in an Opportunity Zone.
That is a very good location, it puts it across the street diagonally from the BCRI as well. That would be some good infill for that area of downtown.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:05 PM

346 posts, read 267,636 times
Surprise of the year might be Lakeview Green starting construction before Midtown III...

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

"A major mixed-use project in Birmingham’s Southside neighborhood is expected to start coming out of the ground in the next few months.

Stewart/Perry Co. is beginning construction work on Lakeview Green, a project by Birmingham-based developer KRE Ventures, which recently secured funding though the Opportunity Zones program.

Located at the former Birmingham Board of Education’s Davis School property at 2901 Fourth Ave. S., it’s a mixed-use project that will come with 30 condos for sale, 73 apartments for rent and about 38,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space in addition to green space with a koi pond, river and waterfalls.

Foundation and site work are expected to last about two to three months."

Old 12-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Here's the website of the Global Forum. It's advisory council is quite a who's who of people both from Birmingham and around the country.

https://www.freedomandjustice.com/

Old 12-19-2019, 04:03 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,254,623 times
wow. amazing list of people indeed.

i really hope this comes to fruition.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:07 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,254,623 times
this whole announcement seems a little odd... maybe being a birmingham resident has taught me to be cautiously optimistic haha.

for example: i looked at their instagram page, and if you scroll to the bottom, there is a post from April 27, 2018 with what appears to be the exact same rendering, but it mentions montgomery as the location, not birmingham:

@oasisofjustice

but the main page (and the renderings from the articles) clearly show birmingham.

maybe it was originally slated for montgomery, but they think it might get more financial support here? no clue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area