Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 04:45 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,186,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
this whole announcement seems a little odd... maybe being a birmingham resident has taught me to be cautiously optimistic haha.

for example: i looked at their instagram page, and if you scroll to the bottom, there is a post from April 27, 2018 with what appears to be the exact same rendering, but it mentions montgomery as the location, not birmingham:

@oasisofjustice

but the main page (and the renderings from the articles) clearly show birmingham.

maybe it was originally slated for montgomery, but they think it might get more financial support here? no clue...
I think they might have confused one city with the other or something. That oasis of justice people. Isn't that a pic of that new social justice museum in mongtomery. I heard the one planned for birmingham has been in the development stages since bell was in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 05:07 PM

2,451 posts, read 2,249,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Isn't that a pic of that new social justice museum in mongtomery.
no. it's literally the same building if you look closely.

the @oasisofjustice account is the IG page of the Global Forum for Freedom & Justice

the post even says:

At the birthplace of the civil rights movement in Montgomery, Alabama, The Global Institute of Freedom and Justice, designed by Lord Norman Foster, will celebrate the courage of Rosa Parks, the teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the landmark legal decisions of Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr. Join us as we demonstrate how the arts, faith and technology can be catalysts for social change. We will be the gateway to the new U.S. Civil Rights Trail.

i'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, it's just odd.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:07 AM

157 posts, read 154,835 times
Quote:
this whole announcement seems a little odd... maybe being a birmingham resident has taught me to be cautiously optimistic haha.

for example: i looked at their instagram page, and if you scroll to the bottom, there is a post from April 27, 2018 with what appears to be the exact same rendering, but it mentions montgomery as the location, not birmingham:

@oasisofjustice

but the main page (and the renderings from the articles) clearly show birmingham.

maybe it was originally slated for montgomery, but they think it might get more financial support here? no clue...
I'd bet you're right. Montgomery simply doesn't have the bandwidth for a project like that to work IMO.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:10 PM

346 posts, read 267,160 times
Brasfield & Gorrie to build Protective Stadium at BJCC:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

Old 12-24-2019, 11:02 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,820,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Brasfield & Gorrie to build Protective Stadium at BJCC:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline
Hopefully, the Classic will stay at Legion Field.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:23 AM

213 posts, read 404,750 times
Here is a nice summary of ten important projects going on in Birmingham during 2020.

http://al.com/news/2019/12/keep-an-e...s-in-2020.html

Old 12-27-2019, 07:18 PM

2,451 posts, read 2,249,155 times
a few updates from christmas day... a lot of cranes in parkside, but not much coming out of the ground yet.

Daniel Corp. Parkside Development (unnamed):

al.com article: Daniel Corp. begins construction on Parkside development

Foundry Yards (on the left - parking garage started):

bizjournals.com article: Developers break ground on luxury Parkside apartment community

Bakers Row II (on the right):

bizjournals.com article: Work to begin in summer on Baker's Row II

UAB Honors College (former Snoozy's Bookstore):

bizjournals.com article: UAB plans for prominent site move forward

UAB Dorm (unnamed):

Ascend:

al.com article: Construction starts on high-rise student housing

UAB Proton Center:

uab.edu article: Construction begins on state's first proton therapy center

UAB 1917 Clinic (former Baptist Health building):

bizjournals.com article: UAB eyes big lease at former Baptist Health HQ in Lakeview

as you can see, i stuck to the south end of town... will hit up north of the tracks next time.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:39 PM

924 posts, read 847,396 times
Quote:
a few updates from christmas day... a lot of cranes in parkside, but not much coming out of the ground yet.

Daniel Corp. Parkside Development (unnamed):

al.com article: Daniel Corp. begins construction on Parkside development

Foundry Yards (on the left - parking garage started):

bizjournals.com article: Developers break ground on luxury Parkside apartment community

Bakers Row II (on the right):

bizjournals.com article: Work to begin in summer on Baker's Row II

UAB Honors College (former Snoozy's Bookstore):

bizjournals.com article: UAB plans for prominent site move forward

UAB Dorm (unnamed):

Ascend:

al.com article: Construction starts on high-rise student housing

UAB Proton Center:

uab.edu article: Construction begins on state's first proton therapy center

UAB 1917 Clinic (former Baptist Health building):

bizjournals.com article: UAB eyes big lease at former Baptist Health HQ in Lakeview

as you can see, i stuck to the south end of town... will hit up north of the tracks next time.

I love when you update all the ongoing projects in the city center! Don't wanna be pushy, but try to get them all next time! Lol! And... do it more often!

Old 12-30-2019, 05:55 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,786,272 times
This week I also noticed the big old building that was at the corner of University and 20th Street (maybe it was called UAB townhouse) that held Sitar Indian Restaurant on the ground floor had been demolished. Didn't look like anything new was coming out of the ground just yet, but hopefully soon. Also, Sitar is open just a few blocks away in a new spot.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:44 AM

10,506 posts, read 7,078,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
This week I also noticed the big old building that was at the corner of University and 20th Street (maybe it was called UAB townhouse) that held Sitar Indian Restaurant on the ground floor had been demolished. Didn't look like anything new was coming out of the ground just yet, but hopefully soon. Also, Sitar is open just a few blocks away in a new spot.

UAB has plans for that location. They just haven't revealed them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area