Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 03:55 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,215,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...ate=2021-06-04

Article on how nuts the Birmingham housing market is getting. As opposed to the trend in most cities where people are heading to the suburbs, the exact opposite is happening in Birmingham, where places that were formerly no-go zones are now seeing huge upticks in value. Norwood? A 700% increase in value over the past five years. Roebuck, a 97% increase. Irondale, 57%.
This guy is raking up over in East Lake, South East Lake, Roebuck, Roebuck Springs flipping houses..he does some in Norwood as well. Just imagine the other area we don't know about. I read somewhere today that the western neighborhoods of the city compromise close to 99K residents alone

https://instagram.com/housesbypaul?utm_medium=copy_link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 04:59 PM

10,523 posts, read 7,140,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
This guy is raking up over in East Lake, South East Lake, Roebuck, Roebuck Springs flipping houses..he does some in Norwood as well. Just imagine the other area we don't know about. I read somewhere today that the western neighborhoods of the city compromise close to 99K residents alone

https://instagram.com/housesbypaul?utm_medium=copy_link

Yep. I am sensitive to those who already live there and the effects of gentrification. But I also think if there is managed growth it could create a positive for everyone who lives in the area.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:30 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,278,756 times
do i recall correctly that we had 6 at one point? would be nice to give regions some company.

Two Birmingham companies inch closer to Fortune 500 status

i think this is one thing that sets birmingham apart from other cities in the state. for better or for worse, a lot of our biggest and best companies are "homegrown", not out-of-state corporations or government entities. while it would be nice to have those as well, if anything for a little job diversity and security, it speaks to the entrepreneurship of the area. no other city in the state has a single Fortune 1000 company HQ. the biggest drawback, of course, is when those companies end up on the wrong side of mergers/acquisitions, which seems to happen here more than it should.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:57 AM

1,031 posts, read 668,959 times
I'm assuming it's Vulcan and Encompass? Where do they rank now? That article is behind a paywall.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:12 AM

10,523 posts, read 7,140,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
do i recall correctly that we had 6 at one point? would be nice to give regions some company.

i think this is one thing that sets birmingham apart from other cities in the state. for better or for worse, a lot of our biggest and best companies are "homegrown", not out-of-state corporations or government entities. while it would be nice to have those as well, if anything for a little job diversity and security, it speaks to the entrepreneurship of the area. no other city in the state has a single Fortune 1000 company HQ. the biggest drawback, of course, is when those companies end up on the wrong side of mergers/acquisitions, which seems to happen here more than it should.

Yep. In the latter part of the 90s, Birmingham actually had more Fortune 500s than some much larger cities. I think Los Angeles was one of those. But the acquisition binge hit, followed by the banking meltdown.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
I'm assuming it's Vulcan and Encompass? Where do they rank now? That article is behind a paywall.
yep:

Two Birmingham-based companies continue to inch closer to Fortune 500 status.

Regions Financial Corp. (NYSE: RF) remained the only Birmingham company on the list, but Encompass Health Corp. (NYSE: EHC) and Vulcan Materials Co. (NYSE: VMC) moved up the ranks.

Encompass moved 29 spots up the list, ranking No. 554 compared to No. 583 last year. The company reported $4.64 billion in 2020 revenue. The company has been opening new hospitals at a rapid pace this year, which will drive further revenue growth, but it is also exploring strategic alternatives for its home health and hospice business.

Both Regions and Vulcan moved up 12 spots.

Regions ranked No. 434 with $6.655 billion in revenue, and Vulcan ranked No. 539 with nearly $4.86 billion in revenue. Vulcan, which produces construction aggregates, is one of the Birmingham companies that could be most affected by a national infrastructure push at the federal level.

While experts say the number of Fortune 500 companies is largely just a status symbol for a metro area, they've also noted that Birmingham's loss of large corporations has had wide ranging implications on the region's economy – including office space vacancies, challenges for professional service firms and constraints for philanthropic efforts – all of which have been further impacted by Covid-19.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:55 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,215,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post

Via wikipedia..

Birmingham has seen a noticeable decrease in the number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the city, due to mergers, moves, and buy-outs. In 2000, there were ten Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the city, while in 2014 there was only one, Regions Bank. Birmingham also used to be home to more than 30 publicly traded companies, but in 2011 there were only 15. The number has increased since then, but not significantly. Some companies, like Zoës Kitchen, were founded and operated in Birmingham, but moved their headquarters before going public. Birmingham has been on a rebound, though, with the growth of companies like HealthSouth, Infinity Property and Casualty Corp., and Southern Company.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:46 PM

306 posts, read 340,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Via wikipedia..

Birmingham has seen a noticeable decrease in the number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the city, due to mergers, moves, and buy-outs. In 2000, there were ten Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the city, while in 2014 there was only one, Regions Bank. Birmingham also used to be home to more than 30 publicly traded companies, but in 2011 there were only 15. The number has increased since then, but not significantly. Some companies, like Zoës Kitchen, were founded and operated in Birmingham, but moved their headquarters before going public. Birmingham has been on a rebound, though, with the growth of companies like HealthSouth, Infinity Property and Casualty Corp., and Southern Company.
Accurate except for the 10 number. I believe it was 6 at most.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:06 AM

yeah, we definitely never had 10 at one time. 6 was my recollection as well. might have been 10 in the Fortune 1000 though.

in addition to Regions... AmSouth, Southtrust, Compass, Saks, Protective? Torchmark?

Old 06-06-2021, 09:59 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,247,177 times
So what exactly happened to the rest of the top 500 that were in Bham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area