Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 AM

152 posts, read 283,574 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to find a high quality single family home (not townhouse) neighborhood that is a nice size for us.

3-4 bedrooms, 2 baths are fine. We don't want a low quality home. We are looking for all the things a nice home would have, still have a nice size yard in a neighborhood. When we look the smaller home neighborhoods have small yards and often single family homes that are smaller are low quality. Are there neighborhoods where the home has all the nice things fine home would have but just not the McMansion size? We have one child in college, one going into high school and would like to have a transition house in a nice neighborhood. We plan to have a pool and a garden so prefer not a hilly neighborhood and hope to be on the west side near Hoover (with good schools), Oak Mountain area, Spain Park is great, Chelsea is fine but not first choice because of 280.

Thank you if you all know of a neighborhood we could check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Home size of 1800-2400 sq ft but full brick and possible basement is fine. We are just looking for smaller but high quality with a big yard. Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
I'm guessing Homewood, Vestavia and older parts of Hoover would have plenty of homes like that. They will just be older...like 30+ years old. Seems like all the newer construction in the trendy areas is going to have smaller lots, no trees and lesser quality. How big a yard is "big?"

Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
All new construction seems to be crap, as far as I can tell. I think your best best are homes built in the 60s or 70s, at least around here. You'll likely have to repair some rotten wood and add insulation, but they are built best from what I've seen/heard.

So, that said, the areas Tourian said should be best. I will say that yards are hard to come by in Birmingham area. So much elevation change.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Just a yard big enough for a pool and a garden but not just looking out at a wooden fence and power line lol. Thank you Tourian.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:56 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
I find it interesting that people say all new construction "seems to be crap"

Compare homes being built today with homes built 30-50 years ago and let me know which homes have better insulation, HVAC, electrical, windows, foundation, what building codes are met, etc.

There's no contest.

Things like room types and sizes have changed... and lot sizes have decreased significantly as people realized how terrible sprawl is... but there is no comparison between new construction today and homes built in the 60s. New homes are of significantly higher quality from a structural standpoint.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

Compare homes being built today with homes built 30-50 years ago and let me know which homes have better insulation, HVAC, electrical, windows, foundation, what building codes are met, etc.

There's no contest.

Things like room types and sizes have changed... and lot sizes have decreased significantly as people realized how terrible sprawl is... but there is no comparison between new construction today and homes built in the 60s. New homes are of significantly higher quality from a structural standpoint.
That is plumb wrong.

The things that are better are ONLY better because codes changed, ie insulation and windows. And those are very easy to update in older homes. Plumbing and electrical will be better due to age alone. But framing and foundation? Man, get out of here. New construction is much crappier as far as those things go. Anyone in the business will tell you that.

HVAC? A legit LOL on that one. All you need is common sense. Many of those original AC units are STILL WORKING, 30-40 years later, while a modern day Trane goes out in 10 years. SMH.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
That is plumb wrong.

The things that are better are ONLY better because codes changed, ie insulation and windows. And those are very easy to update in older homes. Plumbing and electrical will be better due to age alone. But framing and foundation? Man, get out of here. New construction is much crappier as far as those things go. Anyone in the business will tell you that.

HVAC? A legit LOL on that one. All you need is common sense. Many of those original AC units are STILL WORKING, 30-40 years later, while a modern day Trane goes out in 10 years. SMH.
Keep LOLing, and while you are at it... go buy an old, used HVAC unit next time you need a replacement because modern ones are so terrible.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 PM

156 posts, read 304,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
That is plumb wrong.

I agree with you 100%--especially on the HVAC. I have a condo in Auburn with a Trane heatpump that was installed in 1986. It's had a few repairs in recent years, but it heats and cools great! I know it's not nearly as efficient as a new one, but, man, I hate to replace it.

OP: Sunny Meadows in the Oak Mt school district came to mind when you mentioned pool and garden. The area around hwy 119 between hwy 280 and I65 has some flat areas and larger lots. There is another neighborhood off 119 called Southern Pines that has larger lots and relatively flat. Not sure if there is anything on the market in either of those neighborhoods right now, but they are nice--worth checking out. No McMansions in either neighborhood. just normal sized houses with basements.

ETA: Maybe look in Meadow Brook off 280. My parents live there. Many homes are on large lots. My parents have well over half an acre. It's sloped, but they could definitely do a pool. Biggest obstacle to gardening in this area is all the trees. Too much shade.

Last edited by autiger92; 03-02-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 05:02 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

There's no contest.

Yes and no.

In truth, materials and home construction have made new homes less safe, not more.

Underwriters Laboratories found that new homes burn roughly 8x faster than homes built before 1970. Part of that has to do with asbestos, but far more has to do with new materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area