Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:46 PM

157 posts, read 153,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
That was my situation too. It was hard to leave because of my familiarity and it is home.. But now it's going to be very hard to go back.
I am in the inverse situation. I didn’t grow up here nor do I have family here.

I travel weekly to pretty much every major metro in the for business. I believe that allows me a little more comparison than most residents. Upon these travels I spend most of my time entertaining clients. I am always blown away when metros smaller and similar in size have 2-4x as much client entertainment options available. When they have purpose built (leased with quality teanants I may add) entertainment districts, easy public transit to get to and from, and laws that reflect today’s time (open container laws).

Birmingham needs to take a hard look in the mirror and realize it doesn’t have much to offer. A couple small tech companies and an Amazon fulfillment center aren’t keeping people here. That joke of an “Entertainment District” bear the BJCC isn’t keeping people here. A Top Golf isn’t keeping people here.

They’re driving north on I65 and west on I20 to cities with real amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:27 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,988,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
Birmingham needs to take a hard look in the mirror and realize it doesn’t have much to offer.
Well, while I agree....I'd like to play devil's advocate. What do you suggest they do? The things you listed above can be implemented in Birmingham without much effort. However, to "keep people here", you're going to have to look at jobs. So which are we talking about here?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 PM

377 posts, read 341,148 times
Birmingham's new hope for public transit
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...c-transit.html

Interesting article on BRT plans, I would love to see this expanded to more parts of B'ham and 280.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,170,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
Birmingham's new hope for public transit
https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...c-transit.html

Interesting article on BRT plans, I would love to see this expanded to more parts of B'ham and 280.
The first 2 years will determine just how much more it will expand. If what they say comes to fruition (dedicated lanes, ability to maintain green lights pass thru, faster routes), it will put MAX out of business in the years to follow and then the outline areas will want to jump on board..

Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
The first 2 years will determine just how much more it will expand. If what they say comes to fruition (dedicated lanes, ability to maintain green lights pass thru, faster routes), it will put MAX out of business in the years to follow and then the outline areas will want to jump on board..
I agree, if the East-West city route is successful (more efficient, faster, creating density etc.) it will make other areas of the city /metro call for it. I'm thinking a route from Shuttlesworth Intl and other high occupancy routes will be likely candidates. I want to see the dedicated lanes and green light pass thru more than anything, that will change the game for mass transit riders and Birmingham. Birmingham hasn't had an efficient and highly functioning mass transit system since the 1950's when the streetcar network that covered East Lake to Bessemer was in use. That type of speed and efficiency is badly needed again in B'ham. Max will be history and the city will probably start working towards making the busiest routes (perhaps most if it can afford it) BRT and improving the remaining feeder routes around the city.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:39 AM

157 posts, read 153,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
I agree, if the East-West city route is successful (more efficient, faster, creating density etc.) it will make other areas of the city /metro call for it. I'm thinking a route from Shuttlesworth Intl and other high occupancy routes will be likely candidates. I want to see the dedicated lanes and green light pass thru more than anything, that will change the game for mass transit riders and Birmingham. Birmingham hasn't had an efficient and highly functioning mass transit system since the 1950's when the streetcar network that covered East Lake to Bessemer was in use. That type of speed and efficiency is badly needed again in B'ham. Max will be history and the city will probably start working towards making the busiest routes (perhaps most if it can afford it) BRT and improving the remaining feeder routes around the city.
I recently stumbled upon a book that had tons of vintage images of the street car system here in Birmingham. I was blown away how big the network was and the seamless integration into the city itself. How did the city let them pull it all up? What a tourist attraction it would be now if we had that still active.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
I recently stumbled upon a book that had tons of vintage images of the street car system here in Birmingham. I was blown away how big the network was and the seamless integration into the city itself. How did the city let them pull it all up? What a tourist attraction it would be now if we had that still active.

Yea it was an epic failure of city leadership at the time and one that Birmingham is still paying for and hopefully on the way to correcting. As we know the city leaders at the time weren't the brightest bunch and this was not even the worst of their most serious blunders that set back Birmingham for decades. As I understand it the issue was over safety and traffic congestion with cars that spurred the city on in ripping up the streetcar tracks. Obviously having a mass transit system with dedicated lanes or rails with that type of network and coverage is nothing short of necessary for a metro of this size to thrive and be productive. Without those steetcars I doubt B'ham would be what it is today, probably a smaller city and a much smaller metro.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 PM

522 posts, read 847,165 times
Hoover is now proposing a road that runs beside 280. I am not sure how it will exactly work, or if it will even help. Hoover should be concerned about 150, and how clogged it gets at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area