Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:08 PM

377 posts, read 341,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I do agree with you. The facts are pretty straightforward and are looking good for Birmingham which is a much needed change. But the nation looks at Birmingham through the lens of where they are and compare it to their city and Birmingham normally falls short, despite recent advances. So when people read pandering headlines and comments, they react with "ohhh waiiittt a minute.. don't get so proud there buddy." I think it's very normal but it's not understood by someone who is wearing Bham Blinders (my invention

But this is why some of these headlines cause so much angst. I akin it to Troy State having a really good recruiting class this year and the Troy Times front page reads, "Move over Auburn and Alabama, Troy's Coming To Get You".

Alluding to Bham ever being an Austin or Nashville is a waste of time and hurts poster's credibility.
We are in agreement on the lens through which Birmingham has traditionally been looked at and understand that when a long held perception changes and especially on a national level there will be push back some fair and some not. The good news is that it is changing and despite the resistance it is being noticed around the Southeast and the country. That point was made in the article and it spoke about how the perceived gap in Birmingham and Nashville in particular is not what most around the country would think and spoke to the CEO of Mixtroz, a startup that left Nashville for Birmingham because of the better startup scene. Referring to that doesn't hurt a poster's credibility as it's the truth that they did leave Nashville for Birmingham and it's in the article. The highlighted part is what stood out to me. It became clear that most people that took issue with it were reacting to the headline "Inside Birmingham's Bid To Become The Southern Silicon Valley" and had this shocked and visceral response and failed to read the article itself and were ascribing things to the article that weren't in there and accusing it of not addressing issues which it did because they only saw the headline. That being said I didn't take as issue with the headline it seems accurate and at worse ambitious. I would have taken issue had it said "The Southern Silicon Valley Has Arrived and its in Birmingham" or "The Magic City, The South's New Tech King" but those headlines are worlds apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 01:45 PM

666 posts, read 517,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
We are in agreement on the lens through which Birmingham has traditionally been looked at and understand that when a long held perception changes and especially on a national level there will be push back some fair and some not. The good news is that it is changing and despite the resistance it is being noticed around the Southeast and the country. That point was made in the article and it spoke about how the perceived gap in Birmingham and Nashville in particular is not what most around the country would think and spoke to the CEO of Mixtroz, a startup that left Nashville for Birmingham because of the better startup scene. Referring to that doesn't hurt a poster's credibility as it's the truth that they did leave Nashville for Birmingham and it's in the article. The highlighted part is what stood out to me. It became clear that most people that took issue with it were reacting to the headline "Inside Birmingham's Bid To Become The Southern Silicon Valley" and had this shocked and visceral response and failed to read the article itself and were ascribing things to the article that weren't in there and accusing it of not addressing issues which it did because they only saw the headline. That being said I didn't take as issue with the headline it seems accurate and at worse ambitious. I would have taken issue had it said "The Southern Silicon Valley Has Arrived and its in Birmingham" or "The Magic City, The South's New Tech King" but those headlines are worlds apart.
Yeah I just think it's all in how it's perpetuated on here sometimes. They read that headline and all of the sudden we start up the bon-fire and slay a fattened calf, or pig because you know, bbq.

I'm not being a "naysayer" because this tech thing, Regions field area, and Avondale are really great areas. 5 Points could be great again if they would bring back Bell Bottoms. I'm not kidding, that's truth.

I can tell you this as a fact, I have several friends who are just one job loss away from moving out because if their job leaves, there's no second choice. Or the second choice kinda sucks and they have to make a career decision. That's what I did. Now I choose the company I want to work for instead of being forced into accepting just whatever comes my way if anything. Didn't Energen just leave for Midland?

I speak on behalf of corporate workers not healthcare or blue collar, both of which are thriving.

Until then though, people in MB, Vestavia, Hoover etc can expect their educated children to move away in search of a better way of life and better career opportunities overall.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah I just think it's all in how it's perpetuated on here sometimes. They read that headline and all of the sudden we start up the bon-fire and slay a fattened calf, or pig because you know, bbq.

I'm not being a "naysayer" because this tech thing, Regions field area, and Avondale are really great areas. 5 Points could be great again if they would bring back Bell Bottoms. I'm not kidding, that's truth.

I can tell you this as a fact, I have several friends who are just one job loss away from moving out because if their job leaves, there's no second choice. Or the second choice kinda sucks and they have to make a career decision. That's what I did. Now I choose the company I want to work for instead of being forced into accepting just whatever comes my way if anything. Didn't Energen just leave for Midland?

I speak on behalf of corporate workers not healthcare or blue collar, both of which are thriving.

Until then though, people in MB, Vestavia, Hoover etc can expect their educated children to move away in search of a better way of life and better career opportunities overall.
Yea I agree people do love a BBQ, no matter the reason. I totally agree about Bell Bottoms, 5 Points South used to be way more lively when they were around. I certainly get what you mean for corporate employees in the city. I haven't heard about Energen moving only about the acquisition by Midland a week or so ago. It was a much worse situation in 2007 when the recession and banking meltdown slammed Birmingham. I hope that the economy continues to get healthier and we grow our corporate offerings beyond what it was back then.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 AM

666 posts, read 517,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
Yea I agree people do love a BBQ, no matter the reason. I totally agree about Bell Bottoms, 5 Points South used to be way more lively when they were around. I certainly get what you mean for corporate employees in the city. I haven't heard about Energen moving only about the acquisition by Midland a week or so ago. It was a much worse situation in 2007 when the recession and banking meltdown slammed Birmingham. I hope that the economy continues to get healthier and we grow our corporate offerings beyond what it was back then.
Yeah, but as cool as 5 Points was at that time, it's nothing compared to the offerings today in Avondale, Lakeview, Regions field, uptown etc.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,775,264 times
Quote:
Yeah, but as cool as 5 Points was at that time, it's nothing compared to the offerings today in Avondale, Lakeview, Regions field, uptown etc.
Maybe not collectively, but I'd argue 5 Points South 10-20 years ago was very similar to what each of those entertainment districts is like today. 5 Points has largely lost its young professional clientele as they have moved to those aforementioned areas, but we will see if The Woolworth, and some new apartments will breathe new life into the district.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:59 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,238,265 times
Honestly, Lakeview lately is as bustling as any nightlife district I've ever seen in this city (I'm 40). Go to the corner of 7th and 29th on a Friday or Saturday around midnight and tell me if you don't see tons of people out, either walking or in line to get into a club/bar, or just hanging on the corner eating food from a vendor.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I certainly am loving the offerings we have today with Avondale, Lakeview and Parkside. It has certainly outpaced 5 Points in the last few years and expanded my after hours options by a lot. I like having different and distinct districts and being able to move around more. I still like 5 Points and go there to lounge now but it has fallen on the nightlife list behind Lakeview, Avondale and even Parkside (especially during baseball season) for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Maybe not collectively, but I'd argue 5 Points South 10-20 years ago was very similar to what each of those entertainment districts is like today. 5 Points has largely lost its young professional clientele as they have moved to those aforementioned areas, but we will see if The Woolworth, and some new apartments will breathe new life into the district.
I agree here, 10 years ago 5 Points was just as bustling to what we see in the other nightlife areas. Perhaps it was the nightclubs that brought so many young people down there to party (Bellbottoms, Banana Joe's, Club Red etc) or the fact that it was the only nightlife district around that brought that energy that it's now lacking and Avondale and Lakeview have taken. I like 5 Points of 10 years ago in a head to head with those areas because its energy was good but collectively it was simply outpaced by the others and couldn't catch up. I am watching how the new high rise apartments and bowling alley will affect it going forward. If it can regain its young clientele (students, young professionals) it has the bones to get back in the conversation.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 AM

842 posts, read 828,218 times
I always find it strange that Five Points South kind of struggles and so does much of the Southside neighborhood compared to trendier ones. Just seems like Southside, with its abundance of cool old homes, great views, and hilly scenery, would be on fire and well before places like Avondale.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I always find it strange that Five Points South kind of struggles and so does much of the Southside neighborhood compared to trendier ones. Just seems like Southside, with its abundance of cool old homes, great views, and hilly scenery, would be on fire and well before places like Avondale.
I am not too concerned about 5 Points South, for the reasons you listed it has a unique energy that will always make it a hot spot in town. I suspect that it is a cyclical thing and it will be back in vogue in due time but it will require adapting to the new normal of a more dynamic Birmingham nightlife. As a neighborhood I think it is still doing pretty well.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 PM

157 posts, read 154,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I bought a home in Glen Iris and we love it there. The homes in our neighborhood are selling quick given their proximity to virtually anything west of Red Mtn Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area