Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM

10 posts, read 7,959 times

Advertisements

First time poster here I joined because I'm concerned about my old stomping grounds. I went to Brookwood Village a couple of weekends ago and it was dead with lots of empty stores. I did a quick Yelp search and found that others share the same concerns.

What is going on there?

Also, I heard the Galleria is getting a Nordstrom or is that old news? It will be interesting to see if it's like Saks and doesn't carry the same full luxury lines.

Sorry for multiple questions! I'm mainly just concerned that Brookwood is such a flop and raises question as to the economic viability of the city (Homewood/Birmingham) as a whole. Is it not doing well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:39 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Enclosed malls are dying all over... I don't think it's a problem unique to Homewood/Birmingham. I feel like only the large/regional malls (like the Galleria) will survive.

Had not heard about the Galleria getting a Nordstrom. Unless you are referring to an announcement from like 8 years ago.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Enclosed malls are dying all over... I don't think it's a problem unique to Homewood/Birmingham. I feel like only the large/regional malls (like the Galleria) will survive.

Had not heard about the Galleria getting a Nordstrom. Unless you are referring to an announcement from like 8 years ago.
I understand that's a trend among lower income areas but Brookwood Village is in/near the highest-brow zip codes in Alabama. I live in Nashville now and the malls that I'm familiar with seem to be ever-thriving.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:50 PM

157 posts, read 153,765 times
I went to the Lenscrafters in there yesterday for an eye exam. I was there nearly 90 minutes and only one patron came in that I saw that entire time.

When I walked the remainder of the upper retail floor I saw less than ten patrons total. There were more employees in the food court at various places than any customers.

Sad, sad place.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
I went to the Lenscrafters in there yesterday for an eye exam. I was there nearly 90 minutes and only one patron came in that I saw that entire time.

When I walked the remainder of the upper retail floor I saw less than ten patrons total. There were more employees in the food court at various places than any customers.

Sad, sad place.
Yes Jesse, that's very much like my experience. I wonder if it has anything to do with Homewood residents being house-poor. I know my girlfriends over-spent big time on their homes there and cannot afford to fix their cars. They probably make less money than I do. I know it's a nice part of town but I think maybe the pockets aren't as deep as I would have thought. Or the deep pockets are 80+ years old and don't support retail very much anymore. I'm going to ask my friend who is in Real Estate there what he thinks.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
The Galleria is only surviving because it's one of the biggest indoor malls around. Who knows what the future holds for it, it's pretty dated. I don't see Hoover letting it falter, though.

To the poster above, being house poor is not the reason. Good grief. Have you seen the activity at the Summit?

Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamALtoTN View Post
Yes Jesse, that's very much like my experience. I wonder if it has anything to do with Homewood residents being house-poor. I know my girlfriends over-spent big time on their homes there and cannot afford to fix their cars. They probably make less money than I do. I know it's a nice part of town but I think maybe the pockets aren't as deep as I would have thought. Or the deep pockets are 80+ years old and don't support retail very much anymore. I'm going to ask my friend who is in Real Estate there what he thinks.

I'll save you a conversation.

Amazon + The Summit

That is why Brookwood is struggling. Too bad, really. I quite prefer enclosed malls. I still can't really figure out the big advantages of these outdoor "lifestyle centers" (ie... The Summit) over them. I suppose rent for the tenants could be cheaper since I imagine the tenants "waste" a lot of money heating/cooling/lighting the common spaces.

And it is a nationwide trend thing. I would have lost a lot of money betting on which type of mall would win out 20 years ago. Never in a million years would I have thought people would rather do their Christmas shopping outside than inside, particularly in cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, etc.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:23 PM

450 posts, read 336,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

Amazon + The Summit

That is why Brookwood is struggling. Too bad, really. I quite prefer enclosed malls. I still can't really figure out the big advantages of these outdoor "lifestyle centers" (ie... The Summit) over them. I suppose rent for the tenants could be cheaper since I imagine the tenants "waste" a lot of money heating/cooling/lighting the common spaces.

And it is a nationwide trend thing. I would have lost a lot of money betting on which type of mall would win out 20 years ago. Never in a million years would I have thought people would rather do their Christmas shopping outside than inside, particularly in cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, etc.
It seems like people in suburban settings hate to walk very far. Pulling up right next to the store you're going to > all other concerns.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:26 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

Amazon + The Summit

This pretty much nails it. The Summit has better retailers a scant three miles away. It's easier to park, too.

Plus it's important to realize that Amazon only hastened what was already an incipient disaster with retailers. The overbuilding of American retail centers was insane, far out of proportion to any logical absorption study. Currently, in the United States, the cumulative total of retail space per shopper is something like 2x that of the next-highest country, Australia, and five times that of the EU. So what's happening at Brookwood is really a microcosm of what's happening nationally.

Last year, I performed 90% of my Christmas shopping online, either with Amazon or some other retailer. I did it at night, without battling traffic or getting out in the cold and rain. What was left I did in more specialized retail centers such as Mountain Brook Village or Homewood. Because while I still need to shop for unique items, the stuff you find at Amazon is about the same as what you'd find at a Best Buy or whatever.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Brookwood Village will likely be redeveloped like North Hills was in Raleigh. I have been seeing this as the likely future for the area, becoming a mixed use center with several office towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area