Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 12:44 PM

141 posts, read 178,745 times

Advertisements

I've posted in another thread requesting a general opinion about areas west-north-east of Birmingham for a potential move but I thought it might be wise to set out a separate thread. We are looking for an area with a decent commute if we were working in the city. We have a teenage daughter so high schools are pretty important and we want to be in a growing area with an actual town nearby (not a crossroads with a gas station). My wife has semi-regular appointments for scans and follow-ups at UAB so being in that general area would be beneficial. The southern burbs are pretty awesome but it appears the commutes into the city from down there can be pretty gnarly. We live in Dothan now and there is just nothing going on here unless you count the umpteen chain restaurants that get built here. The area is just not a fit in any way. We are trying to come up in Late May or early June (assuming Covid has released it's grip) and check out some areas. We are open to all areas of NoAL with decent commutes to nearby amenities and cities. Huntsville was the original goal but having visited four years ago and again about three months ago it would seem the area may actually be growing too fast. Someone had recommended Cullman or Hartselle once. My Brother-In-Law had recommended the Pell City area. It's just difficult to know where the next potential up and coming communities are if you don't live in the area. Again, any input would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Hoping4Huntsville; 04-30-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 02:48 PM

74 posts, read 89,385 times
Well i live north east of town in the Trussville area. schools are some of the best in the state in the trussville school system.Commute on good days to downtown is between 35 to 45 minutes. Bad days can take over an our. There is a lot of things around as well.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:20 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
I wouldn't be in West Jefferson. First the schools are not nearly as good as what you'd find in, say, a Trussville or a Gardendale. Second, if you're looking for amenities, they are almost nonexistent along the I-22 corridor, chiefly because the terrain isn't really suited to large scale construction.

The closest you'll get is Jasper, which would be a reasonable commute to downtown. But it's still removed from a host of amenities. As one example, my longtime assistant lived in Jasper. Before coming to the office every day, she stopped at Starbucks to get her cuppa, chiefly because there were no coffee shops in Jasper. That should tell you a lot right there.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:46 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
I've posted in another thread requesting a general opinion about areas west-north-east of Birmingham for a potential move but I thought it might be wise to set out a separate thread. We are looking for an area with a decent commute if we were working in the city. We have a teenage daughter so high schools are pretty important and we want to be in a growing area with an actual town nearby (not a crossroads with a gas station). My wife has semi-regular appointments for scans and follow-ups at UAB so being in that general area would be beneficial. The southern burbs are pretty awesome but it appears the commutes into the city from down there can be pretty gnarly. We live in Dothan now and there is just nothing going on here unless you count the umpteen chain restaurants that get built here. The area is just not a fit in any way. We are trying to come up in Late May or early June (assuming Covid has released it's grip) and check out some areas. We are open to all areas of NoAL with decent commutes to nearby amenities and cities. Huntsville was the original goal but having visited four years ago and again about three months ago it would seem the area may actually be growing too fast. Someone had recommended Cullman or Hartselle once. My Brother-In-Law had recommended the Pell City area. It's just difficult to know where the next potential up and coming communities are if you don't live in the area. Again, any input would be very much appreciated.
I live in Madison, and via 565/65 it takes about an hour-ten minutes at non-rush hour to get to the 59/20 interchange in Birmingham. Another 10 minutes gets you to UAB. Madison schools are among the best public schools in the state, and one of the two Madison high schools is actually in eastern Limestone County, so living in that area means you can be in Birmingham in an hour. Cullman is about halfway between the Huntsville area and the Birminham area, so driving time is about half of mine.

There was a high school rating on al.com not too long ago, and if I recall correctly either Mountain Brook or a magnet school in Montgomery was the best (understandable), Hoover did well, Madison did well, some schools in Huntsville did well, and some magnet schools in various cities did well. So you can do pretty well with regard to school systems if you make sure which school district you're in before buying.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:50 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I wouldn't be in West Jefferson. First the schools are not nearly as good as what you'd find in, say, a Trussville or a Gardendale. Second, if you're looking for amenities, they are almost nonexistent along the I-22 corridor, chiefly because the terrain isn't really suited to large scale construction.

The closest you'll get is Jasper, which would be a reasonable commute to downtown. But it's still removed from a host of amenities. As one example, my longtime assistant lived in Jasper. Before coming to the office every day, she stopped at Starbucks to get her cuppa, chiefly because there were no coffee shops in Jasper. That should tell you a lot right there.
Many years ago I used to go through Jasper just to bypass Birmingham (before the freeways were complete), and downtown Jasper had the best hamburger place I've ever eaten at. It was local - not a chain.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:06 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Many years ago I used to go through Jasper just to bypass Birmingham (before the freeways were complete), and downtown Jasper had the best hamburger place I've ever eaten at. It was local - not a chain.

I remember that place, but I think it's gone now. There's a decent Mexican place right off the town square, but that's about it.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:29 PM

450 posts, read 337,060 times
I live in Homewood and can't recommend it enough. Excellent schools, a great community feel with walkable neighborhoods and local shops/restaurants, and very convenient to downtown and shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area