Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times

Advertisements

So, I'm still searching for my older neighborhood with sidewalks !

I've spent a lot of time reading through past posts and you guys are a wealth of information ! It seems like Mt. Brook and Homewood are both a higher price per square footage. I'm looking more into Vestavia (is Vestavia and Vestavia Hills the same thing) and the parts of Hoover that are closer to downtown.

I cross reference the information here with looking at the house listings on trulia.com. Then I take the address, plug it into google maps, and zoom out to see if the house has sidewalks.

But I'm confused by Cahaba Heights. Where is it exactly and was it annexed recently by another jurisdiction ? It seems like sometimes it's referred to as being in Vestavia/Vestavia Hills and sometimes in Mt. Brook.

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
We may be moving soon to the Birmingham area. Different people have different priorities when looking where to live and our top priority is a friendly neighborhood where people actually know each other and welcome newcomers.

I'm looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks, where kids play outside in the front yards and ride bikes on the sidewalks, a mix of young families and retirees and everything in-between. There's a town parade or holiday party, a book club, a supper group - all of which are based on the neighborhood and open to everyone and not just a small clique. We'd also like to be able to walk to at least one place that we go to semi-regularly: the library, or a 7-11 type corner store, the pool, a lively and engaging Catholic church (with some progressive minded people) or the elementary school.

Of course we are concerned about "good" schools and crime and traffic and all that other stuff. But I think good schools are based on the parents of the children who attend there, along with the principal and teachers and NOT on test scores. And crime and traffic are everywhere these days. But I do want to be able to walk the dog by myself at 10pm at night and not worry about professional criminals.

Notice I haven't said anything about the type of house we want ! That's because it doesn't matter much to us. We're moving from a close-in suburban neighborhood outside of Washington DC and our current house is 90 years old and 1700 square feet ! The standard 3 BR / 2 BA is fine and we want to spend around $300K max. Generally don't like new construction, but it's not a sticking point.

Would be nice to be able to get to I-65 in 10 minutes or so. My husband will be working off of I-65 south of Birmingham.

So, I love giving advice on neighborhoods in the Maryland suburbs forum when people are looking for a place to move. I hope the posters in B'ham feel the same way !

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Cahaba Heights was annexed into Vestavia several years ago. You will find it on the eastern side of Highway 280 in the area north of The Summit Shopping Center. It's kind of a steal because you get Vestavia schools in a great neighborhood without paying Vestavia prices.

Key in these coordinates on Google Earth: 33 27'34.35 N 86 43'58.48 W

However, avoid looking at Dolly Ridge Road from Highway 280 to its intersection with Pumphouse/Cahaba Heights Road. That area was hit by a twister on April 27 and is in bad shape.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
Thanks for clarifying ! I actually know that area - I've been to the Starbucks there after a visit to The Summit with my mom.

Honestly, how bad is the traffic between I-65 and Cahaba Heights during rush hour ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Cahaba Heights was annexed into Vestavia several years ago. You will find it on the eastern side of Highway 280 in the area north of The Summit Shopping Center. It's kind of a steal because you get Vestavia schools in a great neighborhood without paying Vestavia prices.

Key in these coordinates on Google Earth: 33 27'34.35 N 86 43'58.48 W

However, avoid looking at Dolly Ridge Road from Highway 280 to its intersection with Pumphouse/Cahaba Heights Road. That area was hit by a twister on April 27 and is in bad shape.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
Thanks for clarifying ! I actually know that area - I've been to the Starbucks there after a visit to The Summit with my mom.

Honestly, how bad is the traffic between I-65 and Cahaba Heights during rush hour ?
I would say not bad, because you are really going against the flow of traffic both ways. However, where on I-65 will you be commuting to?

Also, just to be clear, there are parts of Mountain Brook that abut Cahaba Heights, so those sections get lumped into the general location. So when you look at the real estate listings, check to see which municipality the home is in. However, being in Mountain Brook, what with its excellent schools, would not be a bad thing either, you know?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
If you are going downtown from Cahaba Heights, there is no reason to get on 65 - I would take the backroads - plenty of ways to get there without getting on 280 or 65. However, if you are going south to the hoover area you will mostly be going against the traffic so you will be fine!

Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 AM

73 posts, read 228,726 times
hmm...I thought some parts of Cahaba Heights was in fact in Mtn Brook...Maybe I'm wrong, but there again, some parts of Valleydale/cty 17 may now be in Hoover, which I think is a bit screwed up...!

Man, taking the backroads from Cahaba Heights to downtown ??? that seems like a bit of a hassle, but I guess it depends on 'tming' and a lot of other little things....not sure if I agree with that...hmm

Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anongmous View Post
hmm...I thought some parts of Cahaba Heights was in fact in Mtn Brook...Maybe I'm wrong, but there again, some parts of Valleydale/cty 17 may now be in Hoover, which I think is a bit screwed up...!

Man, taking the backroads from Cahaba Heights to downtown ??? that seems like a bit of a hassle, but I guess it depends on 'tming' and a lot of other little things....not sure if I agree with that...hmm
You're right. Cahaba Heights is more of an area than part of one specific city, but Vestavia has the lion's share of it, including the central shopping district.

I wouldn't take the backroads from Cahaba Heights either. Really, it's a pretty easy drive in on 280 from that point. It's when you get south of 459 that it gets dicey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area