Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,658 times

Advertisements

Myself, husband, and 8 year-old daughter are moving from Tampa soon (next few weeks)and I am in serach of a new neighborhood. I have never been to Birmingham and have no idea where to start and realtors I have contacted in the area seem to be usless when it comes to helping me narrow down some neighborhoods to start looking in.

I have seen lots of posts about Hoover, Homewood and Vestivia Hills but are there any more urban areas? I'm not knocking the suburbs if that is what you like, but I have hated them in every city I have ever lived in (and at this point in my career that list has grown pretty long) and I would much prefer a more busy area. I absolutly hate having to drive anywhere when I get home from work but don't like staying in all evening either as I am very social. I am trying to find a nicer historic area that is walking or biking distance to restaurants and shops and hopfully a park. Maybe an area that is going through a revitalization. We will be looking to rent and are not interested in large apartment communities and would really prefer a house to an apartment overall. Does anyone know any realtors that could help us find a rental or a lease with an option to buy? I know I am looking for a lot but I'm sure someone can lead me in the right direction? Also can anyone explain to me how the school system works there?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
The better school systems are in MB, Vestavia and Hoover- if you want busy - Live out on 280- a very nice area os older homes is Forest Parlk- you would ahve to pay for private schools though- I ams till not sure what you are really looking for- MB doesn't have alot of apts but homes are high starting in low 500's (average)

Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM

56 posts, read 138,601 times
I would try Highland Park or Forest Park (they basically connect at a golf course). They are in the city limits, and you will be able to walk to several restaurants. In Forest Park, you have restaurants like Silvertron, Little Savannah, and a neighborhood grocery/restaurant called V Richards that is excellent. In Highland Park you are a little closer to the restaurants and bars in Southside, but you can also walk to restaurants like Rojo and Bottega, which are both very popular. A lot of the UAB crowd lives in Highland Park. One other advantage of Highland Park is that you can easily walk to the Lakeview entertainment district, where there are several more restaurants and bars.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezz77 View Post
I would try Highland Park or Forest Park (they basically connect at a golf course). They are in the city limits, and you will be able to walk to several restaurants. In Forest Park, you have restaurants like Silvertron, Little Savannah, and a neighborhood grocery/restaurant called V Richards that is excellent. In Highland Park you are a little closer to the restaurants and bars in Southside, but you can also walk to restaurants like Rojo and Bottega, which are both very popular. A lot of the UAB crowd lives in Highland Park. One other advantage of Highland Park is that you can easily walk to the Lakeview entertainment district, where there are several more restaurants and bars.
Yep. We loved living in that area. Just don't expect much from the public schools inside the Birmingham city limits. However, I think the older parts of Homewood are also an excellent choice.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM

56 posts, read 138,601 times
Yeah, didn't mean to exclude Homewood. It has a nice little downtown core of its own. I would look near the Edgewood part of Homewood (around Broadway St) - your kid can walk to school and you can walk to several restaurants, shops, and churches (if you are into that kind of thing).

Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 PM

270 posts, read 531,704 times
Highland Park, Forest Park. Everything you are looking for as long as you don't mind private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area