Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Fortoggie
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Humor
Old

Southern Romanticism

Posted 09-23-2015 at 05:30 PM by Fortoggie

To all who have studied romanticism in literature, you are sure to have come across what is called Southern Romanticism and it does take on a different flavor and history than regular romanticism. Once you become aware of it’s characteristics you see it popping it’s head up in every aspect of our lives. It developed its special flavor in the early eighteenth century south and can be seen in our politics, our religion and in how we see and experience the world.
Here are just some of the...
Old

Did the lady get it right ?

Posted 05-22-2015 at 10:33 AM by Fortoggie

THE LORD KNOWS WHAT WE NEED; WE DON'T: Stopped in to get some milk and juice, the clerk was a nice lady of about 70 and to make conversation I said; it's a little cooler out tonight. " Yes but we shouldn't complain' she said. I nodded and said we have to take what we get. Then she said " the Lord gives us what we need because we don't know what we need." That statement raised so many questions in my mind that I didn't respond and here a day later I am still wondering where she got...
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Time for a Change

Posted 01-06-2014 at 02:19 PM by Fortoggie

In the funeral procession this morning I noticed cars stopping coming from the other way, even though it was a four lane, separated by a median strip. It's an old southern custom to show respect for the bereaved but in our modern heavy traffic it is also a safety hazard. It would be better if everyone would slow down to 20 mph or so but keep moving. Yet consider just how hard it would be to convey this simple information to the population and get their cooperation. There would be resentment rising...
Posted in Lifestyle, Humor
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.

Here in the South

Posted 12-23-2013 at 01:54 PM by Fortoggie

Life can be boring here in the south. A sneeze was the only interruption of silence, the main sensation of the day. Thinking of organizing a yawning party for news years eve. If not then just a trip to Walmart. Happy New Year !
Posted in Humor
Old
Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

The Liberal Ox Cart Builder

Posted 10-24-2013 at 03:34 PM by Fortoggie

Did you hear about the liberal ox cart builder? It happened in Germany in 1450. The little village was made up of ox cart makers and this one who came to be called a liberal got his wife pregnant. [ yes liberals can do that ] but she was having difficulties and so he put some straw in a cart and took her to a midwife. The ride was still excruciating and he lay awake at night and figured out what to do. It came to him how to put leaf springs under the cart and cushion the ride. When the conservatives...