Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment

Case's Vacation Journal: Tasty Valley Finds

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malfunction View Comment
    Sounds like you had a good time. Looks like you were obsessed with bad iced tea on your trip.
    Yeah, mal. What is it with the RGV and iced tea? The majority of places I attended, it wasn't good at all. My mother says it's the water, and that may be true, but I think it's just a bogus mix those places use to make the tea.

Most of the time I eat out, I ordinarily get iced tea, but down there, I've had to settle for soda pop.
  2. Old Comment

Let me add two more: Grapevine Café in South Padre Island. Good American and Mexican breakfast choices, plus the best coffee in the Rio Grande Valley. ****(4)

Also, Cobblehead's in Brownsville. Limited bistro-style menu with a window view of the little lake next to it. Wonderful, well-seasoned chicken-fried chicken, good mashed potatoes (with the peppered cream gravy), and scrumptious corn-on-the-cob. Terrible iced tea and coffee, however. **** (4)
  3. Old Comment

Are The Astros Ready For A Championship?

Astros keep rolling. They just might win that divisional series against the Royals. Yep, they just might.

I'm hoping that the Rangers will fold against Toronto because I'd rather the Astros play the Jays than the Rangers. While that's probably unlikely (but you never know), I wouldn't mind seeing a Texas two-step in the ALCS in future years. First, however, I would like to see the Astros get back to the World Series and actually win one.
  4. Old Comment

Coffee 9-1-1: When The Brewer Stops Working

I hate when stuff like that happens, when you get up in the morning and expect things to work, and then, suddenly, they just stop.

Happens to my car a lot.
  5. Old Comment

Case's Vacation Journal: A Tale Of Two Hotels

LOL. Amazing what you can discover when you plan for different locations. You'll need to go back to that Pharr hotel again. That's something.
  6. Old Comment

Sounds like you had a good time. Looks like you were obsessed with bad iced tea on your trip.
  7. Old Comment

Case's Vacation Journal: A Tale Of Two Hotels

This definitely was not uneventful. Guess what I saw at my hotel at South Padre? One very small live crab. You can't make this stuff up. First time I've seen one up close.

Spotted him between the back door and the pool area.

By the time, Red Tide warnings have been in effect all week at Padre. Must be the washed-up fishies ashore.
  8. Old Comment

Could The Astros Pull It Off This Week?

Astros Beat Yankees!

Kansas City, here we come!!!
  9. Old Comment

Rangers win the division, and Astros get the second Wild Card. Houston's locals will now proceed to Yankee Stadium for the one-game showdown on Tuesday in New York.

Keep fingers crossed.
  10. Old Comment

Houston gets two out of three in Seattle. Rangers are still winning, however, and, so, the division title could be out of reach. The only thing that would save the Astros for that is if, like I said, Houston wins every game and the Rangers lose the remainder of their games. The latter would be unlikely, since Texas will be at home, but their opponent would be the Angels, who are also still fighting for a playoff spot.

The Astros are, however, back in the Wild Card chase, but hanging by a thread. They'll still need to win all of their games in the Diamondback series. They cannot afford to lose even one. Stay tuned.
  11. Old Comment

I Have Proclaimed This Week As My Own Personal Burger Week

Looking forward to Athens on Saturday. I've had a great time with great food at the aforementioned burger stops.
  12. Old Comment

I-69 Update: Signs Slow To Come Up In The Valley

I've tapped the shoulders of folks at TXDOT's Pharr office. New guide signs will eventually go up, along with new gore signs, so exit numbers will start appearing. Different projects to bring them in will be fully completed by February. It's not known if that same project will include some new sign bridges for control city markers, but progress is nonetheless being made.
  13. Old Comment

^^^ The above was via Google Map Street View search. Also spotted mile markers on I-69C and I-69E. Good trend.
  14. Old Comment

America Under Assault: What Some Have Said

I think you pretty well nailed it when you said ignorance. Too many people are misinformed and misguided, and that is why this nation is in the shape it's in. And I'm not sure that Trump can legitimately handle the presidency unless he really surrounds himself with experienced advisors. While he'll be a breath of fresh air, it still remains to be seen whether he'll keep his word on making America great again.

We've got to put up with Obama for thirteen more months. I don't know if I can stomach much more of whatever this is.
  15. Old Comment

By the way, I did spot some mile markers on I-2. They are not on the right-hand side of the road, but on the left in the median.
  16. Old Comment

I-69 Update: We Now Have The First Exit Numbers

The exit numbers are not visible yet in the Valley. We'll keep you posted if anything changes.
  17. Old Comment

Easy Does It? Well, Even Sirius XM Couldn't Hang On

I'll admit, sometimes when I'm tuning away from rock and pop, there is something soothing about the easy listening channels. I'm just glad they've kept smooth jazz on Sirius XM; it offers a nice departure.
  18. Old Comment

Scattershooting / Taking Advantage Of A Tax-Free Weekend

Republicans are going to regret not impeaching Obama. Anything he does anymore is just mere foolishness.
  19. Old Comment

That, indeed, was a great win. We've got the Angels coming up. A few years ago, we actually had their number. I'd like to experience that again, starting in this upcoming series. Every game now is a must-win, and it's important that we keep the Rangers back.
  20. Old Comment

Hey, big win over Oakland last night, Case, 11-5. I can't count you guys down yet.