Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

I've seen quite a few new Hyundai Sonatas on the road. They seem to sell quite well. I'm sorry to hear about the poor reliability record of BMW but I'm not terribly surprised, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 PM

290 posts, read 921,480 times
unluckydawg003 lol. you have steered me away from wanting a used 528i. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydawg003 View Post
Mileage is 66k Plus, Way out of warranty. Never had one since I bought it in 2010. Tired of paying $600 Plus every time I take it to BMW for regular maintenance. Gas mileage 15.5 mpg city to 26 hwy using 93 premium gas. Yes the mileage is that bad.
That seems like low mileage to me, especially for a BMW. The MPG you report seems a little low. Do you drive in sport-mode all the time or something or just have a heavy foot and like to accelerate fast?

And regular maintenance, $600? The bill for the C-class I had was always $120 for oil an filter change and that was every 10K miles with Mobile 1 at a Mercedes dealer.

Quote:
Well I had decided to trade for a used Genesis or Accord, but then the other day decided it would be cheaper just to repair my car and keep it. Until today when my Starter went out. So now I have to replace 2 RFT tires, Replace the Valve Cover Gasket, Oil Filter Housing Gasket, a Cup Holder, Get some dents PDR'ed and now replace the Starter.

If I do the work myself should cost about $800, if I go through BMW-$2455 with labor. I'm so fed up with this car and stuff breaking on it. I'm sure more stuff will break on it too since it seems to be every few months even though I rarely drive it. Maybe I should just trade it for 15k and get something newer with a warranty and cheaper parts and labor.
I'm sorry to hear you're having such bad luck. But think about this, what if once you fix everything the car goes another 200K+ miles with no problems. If you get rid of it, it won't be you who enjoys that.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,388 times
Quote:
Mileage is 66k Plus, Way out of warranty. Never had one since I bought it in 2010. Tired of paying $600 Plus every time I take it to BMW for regular maintenance. Gas mileage 15.5 mpg city to 26 hwy using 93 premium gas. Yes the mileage is that bad.
Just out of curiosity but why pay more by taking it to BMW when you could save a ton of money by taking to a reputable private shop? Most if not all manufacturers will honor the warranty if the work is done somewhere else as long as you keep proper documentation.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 AM

75 posts, read 251,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Just out of curiosity but why pay more by taking it to BMW when you could save a ton of money by taking to a reputable private shop? Most if not all manufacturers will honor the warranty if the work is done somewhere else as long as you keep proper documentation.

I just take it to BMW because I'm military and the dealer I go to in Tampa gives me a free rental BMW if the work is going to be over a few hours. Plus I figure they have all the right tools and parts to do it faster than a indy shop.

Actually right now I have my entire engine taken apart. Just to get to the starter, I have one bolt left to get out..its in a tight space so hard to remove. Then I can get a new starter at Advance auto parts...they seem to be the cheapest I found so far. Then since I have the engine torn down I plan on replacing my bad Valve cover gasket too since I'm near it anyways.

So the plan now is to just fix it and hope nothing else breaks.

Thanks for the reply's.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,193 times
Quote:
So one of my cars that I currently have is a 07 BMW 328i sedan V6. I want to trade it because of the high maintenance costs- I have no warranty and I don't like paying for premium gas anymore. I can get about $15k for trade in value for my BMW.

I'm looking for a 08 or newer V6 sedan that runs on regular unleaded 87 gas. Trying to stay around $22k. Want something reliable that is easy to do my own maintenance on.

Cars I have considered but decided against.
11-12 Dodge Charger- I didn't like the cheap plastic interior.
08-12 Cadillac CTS- Love the looks but it gets really bad gas mileage and very expensive.

Cars I am considering.
11-12 Hyundai Sonata 2.0Turbo SE or Limited.
11-12 Kia Optima 2.0T EX or SX.
09-12 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8L V6
09-12 Ford Fusion SEL or Sport V6
08-12 Honda Accord
08-12 Toyota Camry
11-12 Nissan Altima V6

Any others you guys and gals can think of or own, that know they are good reliable cars?
Regular gas? Please. The higher octane might cost a little more but you also get more mileage in using it.

I've been given most of those as rentals. You're going from the Ultimate driving machine to generic pieces of garbage from generic car companies. A Kia? Yeah, that's the last thing you want running through mind when you have to make a high speed lane change is why the **** did i buy a Kia.

Most of the cars you listed are horribly noisy and don't have great resale value.

The new 328i gets 34 MPG and keeps up with the 335i on the track. Just get one of those. A euro delivered 328i gives you a free trip to Europe to boot.

What you're trying to do is akin to moving out of a high end condo in a luxury building and moving into a mobile home.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM

290 posts, read 921,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You're going from the Ultimate driving machine to generic pieces of garbage from generic car companies. A Kia? Yeah, that's the last thing you want running through mind when you have to make a high speed lane change is why the **** did i buy a Kia.
Sadly, that's how most BMW owners think.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 PM

75 posts, read 251,537 times
Well I just decided to keep it and did a few mechanical jobs on my car to make it better. Replaced the starter and valve cover gasket and washer fluid pump. Getting two new tires in the next few days and the car will be done with repairs for now.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
got rid of my 2003 bmw 540i and got a solar toyota 2003.
best move i ever made.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
got rid of my 2003 bmw 540i and got a solar toyota 2003.
best move i ever made.
It's too bad they quit making the Solara. They could have improved upon the design and also bring back the Supra nameplate as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI