Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 PM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times

Advertisements

My sister had a 2007 Mini Cooper that was involved in a low speed accident yesterday. Nobody was hurt, the airbags didn't even deploy. She was exiting the highway and hit a slick spot on the road and her brakes locked up and she rear ended the car in front of her. It was a minor accident that seemed to only damage the front bumper and hood.

While she was exchanging insurance information with the other driver she smelled something burning and turned around to see smoke coming out from under her hood. Moments later flames began to appear and the car was consumed in flames. Because no emergency services were on the scene at the time the car was quickly engulfed in flames. Needless to say the car was a total loss.

I went and took pictures of what remained of the car at the local tow yard and was shocked and so was the tow driver that such a low impact accident would cause the car to simply burst into flames. This was a well cared for vehicle that was only serviced at the BMW dealership it was purchased from so there were never any aftermarket mods made or anything other than the bone stock equipment that came with the car when purchased 7 years ago.

Unfortunately since the car was paid off last year she no longer carried full coverage insurance and only had liability so she is literally S.O.L.

I do wonder, however, if there is anyone she can contact regarding this highly unusual situation. I don't think it's normal at all for a fairly new vehicle to simply burst into flames when involved in such a minor accident. Like I mentioned earlier she wasn't going that fast so the airbags didn't even deploy which is a blessing because she's 7 months pregnant and this entire accident could have ended much, much worse than it did. Thankfully no one was hurt.

So who can she contact about this? Is there any way she can pursue a legal matter towards the manufacturer or is she really just out of luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
We have a mini cooper as well. Have never heard about anything like this happening. You might want to try the forum on MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring as that is the best forum for minis...

Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I guess a minor fuel leak or an oil leak caused by the impact could cause the fire. I would be pissed too, but not sure if you would be able to hold Mini liable since there is accident triggering all this.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I think most of those burned anyway. I have seen a lot of videos online of these cars going up in flames... one was even brand new and caught fire during a test drive. Apparently they are prone to fires for any little thing that happens with them. I wouldn't own one.

Check this out!

mini cooper fire - Bing Videos

Here is one that was just setting in a parking lot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=58DatReqRQg

Here is the brand new one that went up in flames...

http://youtu.be/hq1S2QXifII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
My sister had a 2007 Mini Cooper that was involved in a low speed accident yesterday. Nobody was hurt, the airbags didn't even deploy. She was exiting the highway and hit a slick spot on the road and her brakes locked up and she rear ended the car in front of her. It was a minor accident that seemed to only damage the front bumper and hood.

While she was exchanging insurance information with the other driver she smelled something burning and turned around to see smoke coming out from under her hood. Moments later flames began to appear and the car was consumed in flames. Because no emergency services were on the scene at the time the car was quickly engulfed in flames. Needless to say the car was a total loss.

I went and took pictures of what remained of the car at the local tow yard and was shocked and so was the tow driver that such a low impact accident would cause the car to simply burst into flames. This was a well cared for vehicle that was only serviced at the BMW dealership it was purchased from so there were never any aftermarket mods made or anything other than the bone stock equipment that came with the car when purchased 7 years ago.

Unfortunately since the car was paid off last year she no longer carried full coverage insurance and only had liability so she is literally S.O.L.

I do wonder, however, if there is anyone she can contact regarding this highly unusual situation. I don't think it's normal at all for a fairly new vehicle to simply burst into flames when involved in such a minor accident. Like I mentioned earlier she wasn't going that fast so the airbags didn't even deploy which is a blessing because she's 7 months pregnant and this entire accident could have ended much, much worse than it did. Thankfully no one was hurt.

So who can she contact about this? Is there any way she can pursue a legal matter towards the manufacturer or is she really just out of luck?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:

There could have been a pinched wire that shorted out starting the fire.

I've never understood why people are so quick to cancel full coverage after pay off.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Money. Or lack thereof. Not to mention the insurance industry is the biggest scam on planet earth.

Too bad Ralph Nader isn't still young and ambitious. Memories of Pintos.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
If the car is no longer under warranty there is nothing that she can do. Even a newly paid off vehicle should remain on full coverage, her premiums should have dropped a bit after paying it off, do not get cheap...otherwise your investment can literally go up in flames, and for what? To save a few bucks each month? Not worth the 30k she just paid off.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:

Why would anyone not carry full coverage insurance on that new of a car??!! It makes no sense whatsoever.... Just to save what, a hundred bucks? That's just bad decision making....

Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Anyone who would finance a car for 6 years isn't going to be known for making good decisions.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Anyone who would finance a car for 6 years isn't going to be known for making good decisions.
If the car brings them joy and happiness I see nothing wrong with financing it for 6 years. You could easily pay it off faster of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI