Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times

Advertisements

I thought this might be an amusing thread and feel free to throw out other "versus" and any comments, including that I'm stark raving mad. I can take it.

My husband just got his fancy BMW 5 series and is now trying to "sell" his car to me. He constantly asks me to take his car, but I simply feel more comfortable in my Honda CRV. His car has all of these fancy things going on in it that just freak me out: heated seats (in California?), the telephone works somehow without being opened (confuses me to no end), different settings memorized for different drivers, and other things. It seems so complicated and I love simple things. I can't figure out how to change the radio station, for example. Yikes. I like a comfortable car in which to transport my 2 kids and the dog. It doesn't have to be an SUV: goodness, I'd probably be happy with an old, wood-paneled station wagon. If I didn't have children, I would just want my little, 4-cylinder Jeep Wrangler back or a Mini, as they're so darned cute.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Do you think I'm crazy for preferring a run-of-the-mill car to a luxury one? Anyone else like me out there? Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts. My mother was nice and said, "Well, honey, your car just suits your needs right now." She complimented my husband on his car multiple times this past week.

Sorry this was long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
While I bought a BMW w/o the IDrive whenever I do get a loaner it typically has one. At first I thought they were hard to operate. Once you get used to it they can be rather simple. I don't need navigation or such though and only use it for the radio. One thing I don't like about it is having to glance over constantly to look at the screen. With my regular stereo I know what buttons are set to what station and don't even have to look. Better yet I can change the station or from stereo to cd all on the steering wheel w/o ever having to take my hands off of it. Same for the volume.

As for the Bluetooth phone - LOVE IT!!! OMYGOSH! Once I figured that out I hated driving my Suburban and having to deal w/ the phone itself and then a ear piece when I got one. It took awhile but I soon caught on and think that is the greatest think they have done. I wish ALL cars came with bluetooth technology like that.

It takes some time but trust me as another person that likes things simple (I don't do texting) these things on that car are AWESOME and do simplify things.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Just remember, the more complicated and gadgety a car is, the more expensive it is to fix.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Note to the OP:

Your Honda will likely be both more reliable and cheaper to fix that the 5 Series BMW.

The newer Bimmers seem to be durable enough admittedly........the older models tend to fall to pieces @ about 100K miles but your CRV will still feel 'new' at the same mileage.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I thought this might be an amusing thread and feel free to throw out other "versus" and any comments, including that I'm stark raving mad. I can take it.

My husband just got his fancy BMW 5 series and is now trying to "sell" his car to me. He constantly asks me to take his car, but I simply feel more comfortable in my Honda CRV. His car has all of these fancy things going on in it that just freak me out: heated seats (in California?), the telephone works somehow without being opened (confuses me to no end), different settings memorized for different drivers, and other things. It seems so complicated and I love simple things. I can't figure out how to change the radio station, for example. Yikes. I like a comfortable car in which to transport my 2 kids and the dog. It doesn't have to be an SUV: goodness, I'd probably be happy with an old, wood-paneled station wagon. If I didn't have children, I would just want my little, 4-cylinder Jeep Wrangler back or a Mini, as they're so darned cute.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Do you think I'm crazy for preferring a run-of-the-mill car to a luxury one? Anyone else like me out there? Most of my friends and family think I'm nuts. My mother was nice and said, "Well, honey, your car just suits your needs right now." She complimented my husband on his car multiple times this past week.

Sorry this was long.
Your talking about me! That's exactly how I feel. I have a Honda Pilot. I wanted a CRV but it didn't give me enough leg room. I don't want anything that requires me to read yet another instruction manual to figure out how to operate it. My cellphone is getting kind of old for the same reason. it sends and receives calls and i know how to use it and that's all I require.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
honda all the way, i have a honda crv got one when they first came out, and got me another. Now I am thinking of the honda 2009 fit.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Comparing a CR-V to a 5-series is like trying to compare a couch and a brick -- a meaningless exercise in futility. When you need a couch, a brick isn't going to do you much good. When you need a brick, a couch won't work. So it goes with these two vehicles.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Comparing a CR-V to a 5-series is like trying to compare a couch and a brick -- a meaningless exercise in futility. When you need a couch, a brick isn't going to do you much good. When you need a brick, a couch won't work. So it goes with these two vehicles.
They are both cars so how different could they be? What use could you get out of one that you can't get out of the other?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'd have thought the differences between an SUV and a luxury-performance sedan would have been self-evident.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
Oh, there are definite differences. One is that it's very easy to top 90 in the BMW and not even notice. I don't know when you'd actually notice the speed. I've never gone that fast in the Honda by mistake (if ever), although it is 10 times smoother than my Wrangler was. My husband just thinks I'm insane, because I'm not head over heels in love with his BMW. I guess it takes all kinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI