Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times

Advertisements

I hope they bring this Cooper D to our shores. 50 mpg/hwy with no help of hybrid batteries, would this be enticing to the US public? We're looking at the Jetta TDI. We may reconcider if this comes out.

Motor Authority » Mini to raise prices in U.S., considering 50MPG diesel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Neato... unfortunately I don't want to be splattered in an accident!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
A word about that "50mpg" claim: Motor Authority is a British-based publication, and consequently their mpg claims are almost certainly based on an imperial gallon, which is 25% larger than a U.S. gallon. To get a more accurate US mpg claim, knock off 20% of the imperial figure; in this case, that means 40mpg.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Neato... unfortunately I don't want to be splattered in an accident!
MINI scores better than an F150 in impact.

Plust you've forgotten that the ability to avoid an accident is your best choice. I'd take a MINI's superior handling and braking over just about any sedan south of 30K.

Drive what you want, but don't think a small car isn't safe.

As for the MINI D, I'll pass in favor of the JCW MINI, for now.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
How does diesel make economic sense? 10% more expensive, 30% better mileage but 20-25% higher fuel costs, more expensive maintenance. If you drive 10k/yr you'll save maybe $200/yr not counting maintenance.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:39 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
I was chatting to a car enthusiast friend a day or so ago.

He'd just driven the Mini Cooper Diesel and he felt that the engine did not go well with the car. His words were that you expect a Mini to be peppy, but the power delivery of the diesel seemed at odds with the car.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
I don't see the benefit at all (previous posters enumerated them) to buying a diesel car.

Plus, your electric bill goes way up due to the fact that you've got to plug the things in at night during the winter.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
50 MPG (US gallons ) since 1976 in my StealthRabbit (about the size of a Mini, but much more utilitarian / sustainable, and the last one I bought cost $35 COMPLETE and running). Check your neighbor's brier patch, that's where I find them. I have got some for free.

Drove it today, still working fine.
Quote:
How does diesel make economic sense?
not for all, but necessary and very favorable for many. (I ONLY need to change filters once / yr... NEVER plugs and wires )Been doing diesel for over 50 yrs. and some of my daily runners (farm / construction equip) are from the 1930's, and fire right up to plow snow, as they have for 80 yrs!

I will NEVER have to worry about fuel... I can use...
Veggie oil,
Algae oil
Heating oil
Bio-Diesel
Used motor oil
Jet-A
Kerosene
ATF,
... or Brew-my-own for $1/gal (US) Tad more for SI Units
The Appleseed Biodiesel Processor | The Appleseed Biodiesel Processor

(I can't make my own GAS (ICK))

YMMV, and especially for poor ole diesel averse Drover ... he needs to learn to use 'Ignore', that's where he lives on my box.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
There is a reason, Top Gear guys hate diesels.
There is reason, you stay away from VW product.
If you want very good mpg and RELIABLE vehicle, you may want to shift gears into better known for both choices.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
I'm always for more diesels here in the US, and obviously the Jetta has always been the car to beat. Even here in Missouri, I've never had to "plug" my diesel in to keep it warm...same time it stays in the garage overnight, but during the days it sits out at work...so even with the temperature sitting around 20°-30°F really doesn't seem to effect the vehicle at, specifically for starting...fuel economy does drop pretty considerably during the winter though, combination of the cold starting/warmup and the winter diesel fuel.

Something else to note, the Jetta tends to do better than it's advertised fuel economy, especially at times other than winter...during winter, I tend to average just a bit better than advertised. Gas vehicles tend to get their advertised fuel economy whenever you drive like you have an egg under your foot. I've averaged 44 MPG combined city/highway with my 12' Jetta TDI and 6 Speed MT. From late spring-mid fall I would average 50 mpg on my daily work commute, averaged 50 MPG this summer on a 1100 mile round trip vacation, and the best I've seen out of the car has been 62 MPG on my daily work commute (3 miles roads, 17 miles highway).

LOVE THIS CAR!!!

As to the efficiency, I actually own another Jetta 5 cylinder. It has averaged 27 MPG during the time I've owned it, and the best it's ever received on the highway has been 31 MPG. So I'm getting an additional 13 MPG over my BEST MPG with the gas 5 cylinder, with 6 speed AT. Considering how regularly attain 50 MPG, I'd use that as a better estimate for my highway MPG, giving me 19 MPG more fuel economy over my gas equivalent.

It doesn't however make financial sense over the current base model car, with a $15,000 starting price, and an estimated 34 MPG highway...it takes years to realize the thousands in savings you get from the base model car...but for me, it was never a matter of base car to diesel. The conversation was diesel and GLI, which requires premium further mitigating the cost premium from the diesel fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI