Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,718 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I'm a security forces member currently stationed on kadena over here n japan. I'm wanting to come back stateside for my next base (over seas isn't for me). I've heard alot of good things bout mt home. But wanted to know opinions from the people there. I grew up in Indiana and Iowa so cold weather and snow isn't a big deal for me. I like the outdoors and wanna get n2 fishing. I'm single and plan on staying that way so I'm debating on living n the dorms or off base. I'll be an e4 by the time I pcs. Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Not from there, but I have looked into it a little bit.

If you haven't already looked at it there is some useful information you can pick out of this:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-Home-Idaho.html

Not a lot of stuff on Mountain Home in the forum, but this is one of the better threads:

Mountain Home, ID

Sounds like people are divided. But if you accept it for what it is, and what it is matches up pretty good with what you want, then I think it might work alright or better for you.

Good fishing nearby. Boise or the mountains (or deeper desert) within reach on the weekends.

Here is a link to their newspaper.

Mountain Home News: Newspaper serving Mountain Home - Idaho's International Community

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-09-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:37 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
Hey I'm stationed at mountain home. Its not a bad base...its ACC so there are a TON of deployments and exercises...i came from AMC so its a bit of a change for me. The amount of deployments i have seen here is not fathomable while comparing it with say Travis which was also twice the size, and maybe half the taskings.

The base is pretty small, but has adequate facilities. Can't say much about the dorms as I live off base, I lived on base once and wasn't for me. I enjoy being part of the "normal everyday world" on my free time. I feel like when living on base, its like i cannot escape work if that makes sense.

Theres a few snowboarding/skiing resorts nearby, a couple SMALL lakes/dams to do some fishing, but everyone here seems to enjoy it. Most of the land in the state is available for offroading/camping/hiking/shooting etc.

Overall its a decent place. Boise is really nice, its about 50 minutes doing the speedlimit from Base, probably 40 minutes from the Town of Mountain Home itself. I'm from larger cities but I still enjoy the entertainment and what not that Boise offers. I live up there and carpool with another person to make the commute everyday. But it does get annoying. Probably better off living in mountain home, which is insanely small.
Being that you are from places like Iowa it might not be as much of a shock to you, not sure what your background is.

All the security forces guys i've met over here are fairly nice, i don't see anything that sets them apart mission wise from any other stateside base, so i doubt you will have anything unsuspected awakenings.

If you have more particular questions feel free to post them up. i was a bit vague, but not sure exactly what you are looking for. I've never been to Kadena, but my friend just got back...he loved it for like 4 months and then got bored cuz he experienced everything there was lol....if you're overseas you could always try for a place like Elmendorf up in alaska, its always easier to go oversea to oversea and its kind of state side.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 AM

225 posts, read 1,092,718 times
thanks for the info. If they let me i'll try to live off base but we'll see where that goes. I've been over here for about 8 months and saw everything there is to do in about 3 so i kinda got bored of it. I don't mind overseas but i prefer stateside basis mainly just because i fee more at home and not so out of place among the local population. Out here ur identified by ur car wether or not ur american (all americans have a y at the beginning of there liscense plates). So i just want that sense of normalcy back where i can drive somewhere and not get looks because i'm the tall american that can't speak a lick of japanese. Plus i love the outdoors and have heard great things about Idaho and the outdoors

Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 AM

well this is an outdoor mecca, so i don't think you will have any issues with that...And other than the base, there is hardly any diversity so fitting in shouldn't be an issue.

I know quite a few senior airmen who live off base, i believe the policy here is you just can't while A1C but don't quote me on that. I have never even seen the inside of the dorms here so i don't know how great/crappy they are. they are right next to the gym/football field/pool/track so at least they are in a convenient location.

I definetly hear you on the whole island fever thing, i think you may have had a better experience at Misawa or Yakota, but even then i'm sure there would have been some frustrations.

Feel free to ship a nissan skyline or something ridiculous RHD car back to me if you like

Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM

232 posts, read 565,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Hey I'm stationed at mountain home. Its not a bad base...its ACC so there are a TON of deployments and exercises...i came from AMC so its a bit of a change for me. The amount of deployments i have seen here is not fathomable while comparing it with say Travis which was also twice the size, and maybe half the taskings.

The base is pretty small, but has adequate facilities. Can't say much about the dorms as I live off base, I lived on base once and wasn't for me. I enjoy being part of the "normal everyday world" on my free time. I feel like when living on base, its like i cannot escape work if that makes sense.

Theres a few snowboarding/skiing resorts nearby, a couple SMALL lakes/dams to do some fishing, but everyone here seems to enjoy it. Most of the land in the state is available for offroading/camping/hiking/shooting etc.

Overall its a decent place. Boise is really nice, its about 50 minutes doing the speedlimit from Base, probably 40 minutes from the Town of Mountain Home itself. I'm from larger cities but I still enjoy the entertainment and what not that Boise offers. I live up there and carpool with another person to make the commute everyday. But it does get annoying. Probably better off living in mountain home, which is insanely small.
Being that you are from places like Iowa it might not be as much of a shock to you, not sure what your background is.

All the security forces guys i've met over here are fairly nice, i don't see anything that sets them apart mission wise from any other stateside base, so i doubt you will have anything unsuspected awakenings.

If you have more particular questions feel free to post them up. i was a bit vague, but not sure exactly what you are looking for. I've never been to Kadena, but my friend just got back...he loved it for like 4 months and then got bored cuz he experienced everything there was lol....if you're overseas you could always try for a place like Elmendorf up in alaska, its always easier to go oversea to oversea and its kind of state side.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Since you're assigned to MHAFB, could I ask a couple of questions? I am retired Navy and will be moving to Boise in April. Are there limits on retirees using the facilities on base....PX, commissary, etc? Is there any sort of medical facility that retirees can use? I wouldn't plan to use it unless it was something out of the ordinary, but nice to know that it is there.

I just finished up a year in Iraq and am back in Kuwait for my last few months prior to retirement. My wife and I are really looking forward to getting out to your part of the country!

Cheers,

Mac

Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,417 times
Mac save some retirement bucks for a Dual Sport motorcycle.
Boise area ,,It's trail mecca

Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM

232 posts, read 565,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Mac save some retirement bucks for a Dual Sport motorcycle.
Boise area ,,It's trail mecca
I most assuredly will....that's one of the prime reason why I chose Idaho in the first place! Right now my choice is a KTM 400 (NOT! the 450) and will try to get it plated. Have you heard of the "One Lap of Idaho"? It's a 1300+ mile trail ride around Idaho. I found it on a website somewhere, but will have to dig it out. Looks like great fun. A little bit of it is on state-run dirt roads, but the rest is on authorized off-road trails that range from easy 'n fun to oh-Lord-what-have-I-gotten-myself-into? It will take me a while to get into shape for something like that.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:50 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,417 times
Camping off the bike has been fun but lugging all that crap strapped on my bike down wet trails make me wink

Check out IAMC | Idaho Adventure Motorcycle Club

The pictures and ride reports helped me make the move to Emmett.

I have had a TON of with members of this club and I can't wait for next springs adventures.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Motomac, Thanks for your committed service Sir! You'll be a great addition to the Boise area, my dad spent some years in the Navy as a Seabee.

anyways, as long as you have your retired military ID you can utilize all the facilities on base, from the commissary to the BX to the Hospital (which is where I work, we have appointments and lab work done for retirees all the time!) As well as the library, gym, etc.
I know they have a VA hospital up in Boise, and i have heard some suprsingly good things about it as far as customer service and ammenities if you have some medical needs that you need done closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area