Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM

139 posts, read 384,740 times

Advertisements

The devastation in Japan gives a Boise resident pause to reflect just how fortunate we are to be living in an area which is not often prone to natural disasters. Let's go down the list:
Tsunami - Never
Hurricane - Never
Earthquake - On rare occasions and very rare for damaging ones.
Tornadoes - On rare occasions and very rare for damaging ones.
Mudslide - Perhaps, but normally in mountainous areas with scarce populations.
Blizzard - Not hardly, when compared to those experienced on the east coast or Great Lakes region.
Flooding - Infrequent in some river valleys, but one makes the choice to live in an area prone to flooding.
Avalanche - Where there's snow the possibility of one is possible but always avoidable.
Wildfires - Okay we're guilty on this one as it seems just about every summer the hills are ablaze because of lightning or some careless idiot.

I predict there will be responses from individuals who think I am trivializing because they suffered some kind of property damage due to a freak wind or roof collapse because of too much snow. But I am looking at the bigger picture here and that is, we are darn fortunate to be living in the Treasure Valley.

Last edited by TeamGray; 03-30-2011 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,984 times
TeamGray

A very Appropriate Post for such times we are in.

Especially when you look at the Pacific Coast and the 800 mile long Sub Continental Subduction zone.

I have friends from California where they laugh and claim to have experienced everything Calif. had to throw at them.
HAH .. The last laugh could be on them after looking at the large earthquakes around the Ring of Fire in the last 3-4 years
Got to be east of the Cascades to be reasonably safe from those events.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
I totally agree with your post, other than to point out that you forgot volcanos. We also don't have those, other than the one really really big one. We are in front row seats when Yellowstone eventually blows again. However, if it does happen in any of our lifetimes, since it will likely be an extinction event, being killed in the initial blast may not be a bad thing.

I understand that when St. Helens blew that we had some ash here in Boise from it, but I was only 2 and don't remember.

Having lived in Boise for 33 years (all my life), I can say that I remember feeling one earthquake when I was 5 (the big one in Challis?). Other than that, I've heard of an occasional tornado touching down, and of course there are always mudslides and avalanches in the backcountry and foothills. Our two largest risks, in my opinion, are the wildfires (which for most Boiseans just means the air is dirty), and the occasional large earthquake in nearby areas.

Boise really is a great place to live, and the low odds of a natural disaster is one of the reasons, in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I totally agree with your post, other than to point out that you forgot volcanos. We also don't have those, other than the one really really big one. We are in front row seats when Yellowstone eventually blows again. However, if it does happen in any of our lifetimes, since it will likely be an extinction event, being killed in the initial blast may not be a bad thing.
You beat me to it! I was going to mention that little ol' volcano over in Yellowstone. Or should I say, Yellowstone inside the little ol' volcano... But there's something else about natural disasters; even if Boise isn't in the direct path of many types of such disasters, the question isn't just if there is a direct "hit"--but also how the supply lines are going to be kept open if supplies are supposed to be coming in from an area that has been hit (such as CA or WA), or if supply lines themselves have been cut/affected. Terrorism is a threat that doesn't follow the faultlines...as are epidemics. Regardless of how safe Boise (or anywhere) may seem, it is always a good idea to keep a couple of days worth of drinking water in the garage, and some cans of food, for humans and pets. Batteries, flashlights, extra medication, a little bit of cash, and so forth. And then keep your fingers crossed that you won't have to rely on the stash!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,984 times
I find it interesting that with the Japan event opening many eyes, there are allready shortages of prepardness kits etc. in the US.
It's been on the local and National news for 3 days now.

Get the Message ??

Old 03-30-2011, 11:21 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,244 times
Earthquake in Challis/Arco area moved Mt. Borah almost 7 feet higher.

We have an earthquake risk here. And wildfires, of course. And... somewhat high radioactive aquifer in places in Southern Idaho, which has increased cancer rates. But for the most part, extremely protected here in Idaho.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM

I guess I could have included everything like volcanoes, sink holes, falling meteors, pandemic events, terrorism, radiation poisoning, rabid squirrels . . . . . I mean, where does it end. Aside from our close proximity to the caldera, we are in a pretty good region geographically. I agree with Lacerta, I would rather be blown away quickly than suffer through a cataclysmic explosion and subsequent nuclear winter. I lived in the San Fernando Valley during the Sylmar Quake in 1971 and Northridge Quake in 1994 and experienced probably a dozen significant but smaller quakes in between. The shaking is not so bad until you start to hear things breaking and cracking, then fear races through your body. Complacency is the killer. With respect to earthquake safety, I have attached some information I rec'd from a friend concerning "the triangle of life". All those precautions we were taught in So Cal about taking cover under furniture or door jambs is misguided and I encourage everyone to read this.

Where to Go During an Earthquake

Remember that stuff about hiding under a table or standing in a doorway? Well, forget it! This is a real eye opener. It could save your life someday.

EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON 'THE TRIANGLE OF LIFE'

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI ), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries. I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years, and have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene -- unnecessary.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them - NOT under them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'. The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the 'triangles' you see formed. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building.

TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' when building collapse are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a bed, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building). The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.

8) Get near the outer walls of buildings or outside of them if possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life...

The entire world is experiencing natural calamities so be prepared!

In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul, University of Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten mannequins did 'duck and cover,' and ten mannequins I used in my 'triangle of life' survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions , relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck and cover.

Source:國際救援小組(ARTI),網址:Welcome To American Rescue - American Rescue

American Rescue Team International(ARTI)is said to be the World's most experienced rescue team and disaster management-mitigation organization.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,896 times
snopes.com: Triangle of Life - Earthquake Survival Tips

You do realize that much of this was discredited on Snopes. Just sayin...

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
snopes.com: Triangle of Life - Earthquake Survival Tips

You do realize that much of this was discredited on Snopes. Just sayin...
Was just about to post that when I saw you had beaten me to it.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Good to know but the photos depicting the triangle of life or void areas, which I could not submit with the article, were convincing. Did I mention the 4-story apartment building I once lived in in Northridge became a 3-story after the Northridge quake. Come to think of it many multi-family condominium and apartment buildings lost there 1st floors after that earthquake so I wouldn't put ALL my faith in American building standards.

Last edited by TeamGray; 03-31-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area