Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 30,641 times

Advertisements

We're hoping to sell our home in Northern California and thus far the Treasure Valley seems to have what we're looking for...
Decent home prices
Good schools
Safe neighborhoods
From what I hear Eagle is where most Northern Californians feel comfortable right away.
I guess there are some anti-CA sentiments in the Boise area and that stems from an influx of people who drive up the housing costs, clog the roads, want to change everything, etc etc. I will say that with our Northern California home values falling daily you should see less people with extra $$$ to spend moving to the area. We expect to take a bath on our home and just make it out even.
My questions are...
Given the Treasure Valley area is where we want to go are there other areas we should consider besides Eagle?
Are there any BIG negatives to a move like this that I might not have considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,988 times
It all depends on what is important to you, how much money you're bringing, and what type of employment you'll be seeking.

If you're looking to move to Boise or Eagle, you're buying into the most expensive areas in the Treasure Valley. But assuredly homes will be far cheaper than NorCal.

Traffic will also be far better, but its no picnic, especially if you're commuting into Boise from Eagle or Caldwell. Granted, it'll seem like nothing for the first year you're here, but once you acclimate, it'll be nothing but frustrating.

The cultural opportunities won't be nowhere near the same, neither will your selection of restaurants and entertainment, but there is still plenty here to keep you entertained.

Obviously there is no ocean, and the weather is a lot more extreme than the Bay Area (though probably similar to Northern California, actually).

The pay is going to be a lot less than you expect, depending on what industry/experience you bring.

A lot more conservative, somewhat libertarian, somewhat understated religious presence here. The level of education here is lower compared to other metropolitan areas, but still pretty decent. There's an odd mix of educated professionals and retirees, mixed with "good ol' boys," lifelong ranchers/farmers, and uneducated dropout kids. None of these are meant as a pejorative. It's probably not different than anywhere else, really, but because we're smaller it's a little more noticeable.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Thanks Anchorless. With regards to employment I'm fortunate to represent a manufacturer out of Chicago who just wants me living in my Region which is anything West of Louisiana. I'm originally from Maine so the chill doesn't put me off although my kids will probably have a few choice words for me.
I forgot to mention religion. I'm a devout Agnostic. The web says there are a lot of LDS there and I know thats Latter Day Saints but what is the difference between LDS and Mormon? Anyone care to help me on that one? And I greatly dislike folks peddling their religious beliefs at my door. Are folks aggressive believers there who feel you'll burn if you aren't in their church?

Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM

The religious issue depends on you -

I'm not bothered by it, and I don't feel it's entirely too pervasive, but most of my friends strongly disagree and have since moved (partly) because of it.

We do have a cross overlooking the city. I think it's neat, some think it's intrusive and annoying. We have issues over the "commandments in the park," though that's since been hushed. There is still the anti-gay religious, but I don't think they're too outspoken. You'll get the occasional LDS and/or Jehovah's Witness missionaries, but again, no more than anywhere else. There's a handful of Biblical billboards up and about, they're sorta annoying.

The bottom line is that it's there, it's visible, but it's easy to ignore it. There is a lot of uber-patriotic, very "us/them" "love-it-or-leave-it" pro-war types, if that's a concern.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:31 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Well as someone that lives in Lexington Hills in Eagle I would have to say that there is allot of anti- Cali attitude here in Eagle as well as Star, Middleton and Emmett. Partly because this is where they are mostly moving to.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM

There is also a strong anti-gay presence here. The rage over our senator has been evident on that. There is a strong religious presence here also. The anti gay religious is becoming more outspoken don't let anyone kid you on that.

Yes there is allot of religious believers that feel you will burn if you are not in their church.
Lds is very strong in Eagle I know for sure. Maybe in pockets.
One LDS Cali moves there and 3 to 7 friends and family move there with them.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
There is also a strong anti-gay presence here. The rage over our senator has been evident on that. There is a strong religious presence here also. The anti gay religious is becoming more outspoken don't let anyone kid you on that.
This is silly. If you want confirmation as to why, check out her back posts (especially in the Iowa thread). It's just her homophobic attitudes projecting.

I'm not sure if you care about this stuff, but I'd say that Boise is a very tolerant place. I don't know if that's just the libertarian, non-confrontational side of the Idaho ethos, or if we really are a tolerant crowd, but it seems to be so. We have a great diversity program and group of events at BSU, the city is looking and feeling more and more diverse every month, and there are substantial gay pride parades and rallies with enormous turnouts.

I think that, better than most places, the religious and conservative get along well with the secular and progressive, at least on the surface. That said, the former control the politics far more than the latter. I think 08 will be the turning point, however, at least in Ada County. We seem to be one of two Democratic havens (the other being Sun Valley) - and last year's race was pretty close.

You'd be amazed at how much local politics is really controlled by property rights and land-use issues, though. This seems to be one of the primary forces in Idaho politics, and for good reason.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 PM

I was in Boise 2 weeks ago and saw a "straight friendly" gay bar and couldn't stop laughing. Living near San Francisco we have straight/gay clashes all the time. And the behavior of your Senator can hardly be considered standard gay issue. Most of the gays I know are a lot like the straights except for the 2 incomes and the incredible sense of fashion. They do not typically hang out in restrooms trolling for love.
We get the door to door religious salespeople here too and that is easy to ignore. Billboards would be different though.
Another question...
Do people smoke in restaurants in Idaho? Boise area?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 PM

There are a few restaurants that still allow smoking, but they have to have their own section. I think that there's a rule against smoking in buildings where food is prepared, or something. I'm not sure.

You can still smoke in bars, though.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
This is silly. If you want confirmation as to why, check out her back posts (especially in the Iowa thread). It's just her homophobic attitudes projecting.

I'm not sure if you care about this stuff, but I'd say that Boise is a very tolerant place. I don't know if that's just the libertarian, non-confrontational side of the Idaho ethos, or if we really are a tolerant crowd, but it seems to be so. We have a great diversity program and group of events at BSU, the city is looking and feeling more and more diverse every month, and there are substantial gay pride parades and rallies with enormous turnouts.

I think that, better than most places, the religious and conservative get along well with the secular and progressive, at least on the surface. That said, the former control the politics far more than the latter. I think 08 will be the turning point, however, at least in Ada County. We seem to be one of two Democratic havens (the other being Sun Valley) - and last year's race was pretty close.

You'd be amazed at how much local politics is really controlled by property rights and land-use issues, though. This seems to be one of the primary forces in Idaho politics, and for good reason.
I think you might be confusing the BSU campus area with everywhere else in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area