Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM

156 posts, read 275,290 times

Advertisements

I have been reading with great interest some of the older posts about communities that were majority LDS and how if you were to move into a community that was 90% LDS, you might feel out of place. My thoughts on LDS people is that I really admire their morals and lifestyle even if I do not understand their religion fully.

My wife and I have 7 children and the question is usually, "Are you Catholic or Mormon?" I can understand wanting to be around people who believe like you. Growing up in Georgia, 95% of the people were Protestant and more than a few were very ignorant of my faith and judgmental and it made things awkward sometimes.

So, my question is: Are there communities that are heavily Catholic? I figure the best thing to do would be Google searching for liquor stores and bingo parlors. Surely there are Catholics around there.

All joking aside, I think it would be nice to live near a very good Catholic church with other Catholics. At least I know there will be beer close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 AM

69 posts, read 273,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside Dan View Post
I have been reading with great interest some of the older posts about communities that were majority LDS and how if you were to move into a community that was 90% LDS, you might feel out of place. My thoughts on LDS people is that I really admire their morals and lifestyle even if I do not understand their religion fully.

My wife and I have 7 children and the question is usually, "Are you Catholic or Mormon?" I can understand wanting to be around people who believe like you. Growing up in Georgia, 95% of the people were Protestant and more than a few were very ignorant of my faith and judgmental and it made things awkward sometimes.

So, my question is: Are there communities that are heavily Catholic? I figure the best thing to do would be Google searching for liquor stores and bingo parlors. Surely there are Catholics around there.

All joking aside, I think it would be nice to live near a very good Catholic church with other Catholics. At least I know there will be beer close by.
Your post made me laugh! It brought back lots of memories. I was raised in a very Catholic home and am now a bible believing christian who's wife and family attend a non-denominational church. I do know there is some Catholic churches out there. We saw a beautiful one downtown (historic). So I know they are out there. As far as LDS churches, there are lots of them. The people we've met are wonderful and kind.
Wow! 7 kids. We have 6,my two oldest are girls,(4 boys currently at home) and people asked us the same thing. Most people won't believe this, but I come from a family of 18. 11 boys and 7 girls. You have your football team and cheerleaders all in one! All from the same mom and dad and all single births. We don't have either of our parents anymore and there are 15 siblings still living. So yes, very Catholic. Even had a priest among us as my older brother. He long since has left the priesthood, for various reasons. Enjoy your search.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 AM

284 posts, read 611,641 times
There's a rather large Catholic church down the road from me at Meridian and Chinden. I love to photograph churches so I hope to soon break out my camera and get some great pictures of some local churches with the foothills in the background.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM

84 posts, read 265,986 times
I read on wiki that there is a large Basque community in the Treasure Valley and they are normally Roman Catholics. It said there were over 15,000 of them. So we should feel comfortable being Catholics in the Boise area.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Instead of just asking random people, why don't you look here

Welcome - The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City

Roman Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parishes & Missions - The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City

Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,364 times
um, slowlane3, you posted links to the wrong state and diocese.

Back to the original question, there is no where in the Boise area that is 90% LDS, you would have to look at Rexburg or Utah to find stats like that.

The Catholic church is very visible in the Boise area and the largest religion right up there with the Mormons.
There are several Catholic elementary school, large churches, a high school and a SSPX Latin community in New Plymouth.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM

156 posts, read 275,290 times

If I ever decide to move to SLC, I will definitely check those out!

Seriously, I appreciate the responses. I am also a bible believer but being a part of the religion who actually put that book together for everybody, it's nice to have a history that is about 1500 years older than the protestant denominations to draw from.

I have done my research and will probably be finding a place that is in the Boise HS district. We will be coming up in Feb. to look around. Until then, I will be here pestering you guys with my questions.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 AM

19 posts, read 70,699 times
I personally am episcopalian but yes strong catholic presence here my church is across the street from a large catholic church which we affiliate with for food pantry purposes etc. good catholic schools in the area also
You'll do great here much better than the south won't have the problem you had there

Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 25,257 times
I can't think of any communities that I would think of as predominately Catholic (or Mormon for that matter). But, I don't think you will have any problems finding your community here. We do have several Catholic churches and schools. I have Mormon and Catholic neighbors where I live.

St. Johns downtown and St. Mary's close to downtown and I think St. Marks up on the Bench and there is a new (large) Catholic church west of town.

If you have kids -- you can't go wrong with Boise High School, it's a great school and St. John's Cathedral is right around the corner from Boise High.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM

156 posts, read 403,652 times
My parents grew up in northern Idaho and said that it was largely catholic 30 years ago, I'm not sure if it is still that way or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area