Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Has Anyone here Moved to Boise Idaho and Regretted It? If so why?

And please tell me the pros & cons compared to where you moved from.

We are originally from NY. Currently we live in Las Vegas and want out fast! lol. Las Vegas is no place to raise a family.

Our son has asthma & allergy issues and the Las Vegas air bothers him. I believe the Boise pollution and allergies are much less of a threat.

Any info helps!

Thank you!!!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
I don't know anything about Boise, but I'm surprised to hear about allergies in Las Vegas. Usually, an arid climate like Vegas has is a help to those with allergies. People move to places like Arizona or Las Vegas because of the lack of agriculture, tree and grass pollens, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 AM

Yeah surpsied me as well with the allergies. But its bad here! And so dry with little rain that dust and pollen is constantly blowing around, while back east the rain would keep much of the pollen down after a good storm. Heck, I cant remember the last time it rained here in las vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I don't know anything about Boise, but I'm surprised to hear about allergies in Las Vegas. Usually, an arid climate like Vegas has is a help to those with allergies. People move to places like Arizona or Las Vegas because of the lack of agriculture, tree and grass pollens, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
It's just different types of allergies and/or air quality. I know a lot of people who are from other places in the nation and their allergies flare up horribly here... but it's usually only in the spring and fall. You have to know what you and your family are allergic to before moving somewhere if its an issue.

Generally, however, you should be fine here.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
I only know one family who hated it and blamed it on things specific to Boise, but in fairness, they really didn't give it a chance and I'm not sure if they're much happier now in Portland.

Others I know moved as it just wasn't a good fit for them for various reasons; too small, cultural shock, no jobs in their field, etc. You can probably find similar reasons for people moving from anywhere. Nowhere is perfect for everyone.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
Boise is semi-arid, I believe only 11 or 12 inches of precipitation per year. Although that is 2 to 3 time more than Vegas. Even still you're adding dry spells with blooming flowers and trees. I am not sure as an adult, but as child I had very bad hay fever in Boise. Springtime was insufferable. Admittedly, this spring in California was one of the worst I've experienced here. Apparently, this is a national trend.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:33 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
It's all relative. Here in Oregon, especially on the coast where we are, it's turned into a haven for do-nothing, low income renters. They have no sales tax, no property tax, low (or no) income tax. Minimum wage jobs, or easy disability and marijuana card. The obesity is truly stunning around here.
Idaho seems to have a better handle on things. If you are able, but won't carry your weight, it should be difficult to stay.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM

129 posts, read 371,562 times
Boise is an up and coming city here in the NW. Definitely growing like crazy due to family friendly environment. Compared to other cities, Boise has just about anything you need but is isolated from the rest of the country. We love it here and have lived in many states and would never trade it for anything. We all have asthma in my family and do better here due to dryer climate. Good luck

Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Thank you so much to all for responding!! Great info! Add more please! More opinions. Pros & cons of Boise. Just doing my research thats all.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Cons: A little cold during some winters. I was last there in 2010 and it was the worst winter in 40 years. So idot me, I moved away thinking that that was the norm. OK, so now I have a home in AZ and have been working my but off to fix it up so I can get enough money to move back..that is if I can find a job. I really hope I can because, other than that cold winter, I don't remember having it that good. Its close to my beloved Oregon and Wa, but far enough that you actually get quite a bit of sunshine. Right now in Gilbert AZ Im facing my 3rd summer, which lasts 6 months of temps over 100 degrees for most of those months. I dream of those cooler months in Idaho.

Pros: Idaho has areas that compete for beauty with any place in Western Oregon and Wa. Houses are cheap, property tax is cheap, gas is cheap. Crime, well I don't think it really exist there, although they did actually catch a terrorist there (Idaho does NOT mess around with that crap I guess). The bike path along the greenbelt by the river is the best Ive seen. You can view all kinds of animals of nature.

I hate cigaret smoking, the smoke is nasty and really bothers me. Saw very little of that there, less than just about anywhere I ever lived. maybe its due to all the Mormons.

One of my Cons was the snow....well a pro would be that there are no real hills to navigate in the city, its mostely flat driving. Thats good when the road is a block of ice.

I love it there, I would like to go back and spend the rest of my life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area