Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:50 PM

731 posts, read 959,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Sold my beach house. Moving to Idaho in less than 30 days. Have watched my once beautiful beach city ruined by elected officials, become over developed and turn into the arm pit of so Cal. I just want to be part of the community and make new friends.
Did you move yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc1972 View Post
The issue underlying resentment of newcomers (specifically Californians) is the impact they have on housing costs for locals.

The perception is that most Californians relocating here are equity-rich retirees, who don't rely on Idaho's meager jobs market to survive, and are able to pay cash for a house.

Contrast that with a young family with a couple kids struggling to put together a down payment.
I had to read this post 3 times, as the logic confuses me.

Those "equity-rich" retirees were once young families with kids struggling to put together a down payment.

Did my time, now it's time for me to enjoy the benefits of my hard labor, patience, and perseverance.

Don't begrudge people their desert, particularly when that desert is spread around for all to enjoy. We retirees spend a lot of money in Idaho, and most of the time, we've purchased houses from Idahoans, some who are natives.

It's almost always a matter of give and take.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,843,476 times
All,

Don't talk about other posters. Don't attack them, don't belittle them, don't speculate about their background, needs, views, heritage, street-cred, or anything else.

Discuss topics BEING DISCUSSED IN THE THREAD...and don't get sidetracked with going after each other.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:43 PM

335 posts, read 377,025 times
Signed the papers today to sell the house, just a few days now then idaho here i come

Old 06-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
Signed the papers today to sell the house, just a few days now then idaho here i come
Renting or buying when you arrive?

Good luck, and enjoy the journey!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:34 PM

4,584 posts, read 3,411,758 times
Well, I got my Willy Wonka Holden Ticket in the mail today in the form of a pension buyout offer from a former employer. So, I am 51, single, no house to sell, I own one business that I can liquidate piecemeal and another that i can ship with me. So, around 1 September, look for me and a full 26' U hail, bad credit, 10 years of self employment behind me and mid 5 figures in postal money orders on me showing up in Emmett. I will be looking for 5-10 acres, preferably with a well and an electrical panel, will start out with a small 5th wheel. Want to replace my duck farm, and use those proceeds to first build a 2-3 car garage with loft then start the home later. I was a licensed architect in Md from 1985-1991 and my dad was a union carpenter for 30 years. I actually know how to build a home.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:35 PM

I will be looking to rent and or buy depending on what i find. if I find a nice place to rent I will, but If I find a nice house I might buy. i wont rent a dump and I have two dogs( golden doodles) and their my best friends so if a landlord dont want them well i dont want his/her place either. Ive got great credit 800 and money so I aint worried.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Well, I got my Willy Wonka Holden Ticket in the mail today in the form of a pension buyout offer from a former employer. So, I am 51, single, no house to sell, I own one business that I can liquidate piecemeal and another that i can ship with me. So, around 1 September, look for me and a full 26' U hail, bad credit, 10 years of self employment behind me and mid 5 figures in postal money orders on me showing up in Emmett. I will be looking for 5-10 acres, preferably with a well and an electrical panel, will start out with a small 5th wheel. Want to replace my duck farm, and use those proceeds to first build a 2-3 car garage with loft then start the home later. I was a licensed architect in Md from 1985-1991 and my dad was a union carpenter for 30 years. I actually know how to build a home.
its really not that hard, hammer and nails as an old timer told me once. Thing is if you build it you can do it right.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:27 PM

192 posts, read 204,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Immigrants to the US, from all nations, used to be grateful and happy to be here, they used to assimilate (my great grandparents did, and quite quickly, using their own resources even though they were somewhat poor) because they realized the benefits (to them and their children) of assimilation.

Today, it seems that a large majority prefers not to. Sad.
I've heard this opinion expressed many many times, based on my own experiences usually from older and more conservative people. However, none of us were even around as late in American History as the 19th century, so I don't think we can be too sure. But you could be right about that trend.

One thing we do know about American history is that that same type of things were said about every different wave of immigrants by native-born citizens. Be them the Irish, the Germans, the Chinese or the most recent Mexicans.

I can't help but remember a big study that was done at the University of Wisconsin that found that there used to be over 500 individual German language newspapers in Wisconsin alone and many were available all the way up to the 1940's.

Interesting topic.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:39 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
I expect increasingly more folks in California to be looking to move in the years to come. And more Arizonans as well. The West is heating up, has been consistently warming for a long time, and I firmly believe will continue for decades to come.

That heat is really going to affect S. California and Arizona especially. Both have huge populations of people living in deserts, and droughts, by the geologic record, have lasted in the southwest in the past for 100 years or more. Drought brings depopulation.

A lot of folks gripe about Cali's government and high costs, but that stuff comes and goes. They tend to be self leveling, as costs go up along with population, but they go down as population decreases. There is much less a single person can do about climate change. Moving away is the easiest, cheapest, and fastest.

'm not real sure Idaho will ever get huge swells of growth. There are a lot of cities in the midwest that have withered in the last century that still have favorable climates and fairly intact basic infrastructures, and the reasons why they grew large in the past haven't essentially changed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a city like Detroit become a national hot spot to move to in the near future; while things look bad on the surface, all the necessaries underground remain, and property that was once very expensive is now cheap again. The city will become different, but it can rebound more easily that building from the ground up in places like Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area