Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times

Advertisements

Some infected mosquitos=zika virus but I think they've gotten a handle on it.
Yes, it is sunny most of the time here. Like i mentioned, the thunderstorms usually dump the rain quickly then the skies clear up.
I didn't mention snakes because I view them as beneficial since they eat pests like rodents but I still wouldn't want one in the house lol
Good plan to venture elsewhere during the summer months. That's what i intend to do if/when I retire.
It's called being a snow bird.
Nothing original there. People have been doing it for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 09:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
OP, don't believe those who say this is a mild winter. It isn't. I would say this is the most snow we've had in one dump for at least 10 years. There have been worse winters, definitely. I agree that some of the winters of the 80s were much worse, and there was one bad storm in the late 90s. But I've worked at my job for 15 years, and I shovel a large parking lot. This is the 2nd most I've had to shovel in those 15 years, and it is still December. So it could end up being the most snow in 15 years, anyway, by the time the winter is done.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:28 AM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
There has been more and there has been less. But shoveling snow is good exercise.
Just yesterday finished clearing our graveled driveway by hand (140x25 feet) and I'm 74.
So stop complaining
Weather History for Boise, ID [Idaho] for January

Old 12-26-2016, 10:45 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Total snowfall statistics can be deceptive.
There are many winters that have heavy snowstorms that are followed by warm temps that melts the snow and clears the streets, while other winters that are more consistently cold allow the snow to pile up, even when there is less of it overall.

This is the time of year when it should snow. January and February should be the coldest, snowiest months of winter, the apex months of the cold season of the year. I would much rather shovel it than worry about a drought when the spring comes with no rain.
And rain in winter is the very worst. It just runs off, and raises hell until it drains away.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:10 AM

277 posts, read 365,257 times
It's Idaho. It snows. If you can't deal with it, don't whine about it. You know what to do. As for me, I started a snow removal business and have been doing well.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,702 times
I don't feel like it's that bad of a winter. Usually when we get snow that sticks around this long it's because we're stuck in an inversion. I'll take this weather over an inversion any day.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 AM

820 posts, read 1,069,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
...As for me, I started a snow removal business and have been doing well.
Great example of how to make the best of a situation. Many people on this forum talk about how hard it is to find a job, etc., yet here is an example of looking for opportunities and making use of them. KUDO's!

Bogus Basin (our local ski resort) is having a great year. I always find it humorous that the few times there are "snow days" (when it is theoretically too difficult to get the kids to school), that the kids have no problem finding their way up the mountain to enjoy fresh powder skiing or snow boarding.

Prepare for, and enjoy, life in our snow globe this winter.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
I don't feel like it's that bad of a winter. Usually when we get snow that sticks around this long it's because we're stuck in an inversion. I'll take this weather over an inversion any day.
Yup. Now that the street crews finally plowed my street, I'm a happy guy again.
I enjoyed being snowbound for the past couple of days- it gave me a chance to finish the book I was reading. My only problem was a bored young dog who pestered me to go out, and then wanted back in right away again.

This is the first deep snow he's ever seen. It was swell at first for him, but he's tired of it now. He needs a partner to roughhouse with.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. Now that the street crews finally plowed my street, I'm a happy guy again.
I enjoyed being snowbound for the past couple of days- it gave me a chance to finish the book I was reading. My only problem was a bored young dog who pestered me to go out, and then wanted back in right away again.

This is the first deep snow he's ever seen. It was swell at first for him, but he's tired of it now. He needs a partner to roughhouse with.
Time to visit the local animal shelter and select a playmate for him.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:35 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Glad you guys are enjoying it.. Forecast says more blizzards for next week and we even have the luxury of enjoying some negative temperatures ..

Been a while since I felt those negatives.. I remember one year living in Bend, Oregon it hit -10 and there was a pleasant little breeze.. Every time the wind blew, my face would start burning and this was wearing a complete face mask..

I guess I am going to have to invest in a good face mask, because these super cold temps are causing my face to burn and I am worried about frostbite.

Yes, I know I am a wimpy Western Cascade person and I hate cold weather and snow

Actually, I love hiking in the snow and wouldn't mind doing winter activities in the snow, but living day to day in such a cold and snowy environment I utterly hate. The fact they don't maintain the roads here, have no snow banks in the city (snow just accumulates in the parking spaces downtown) and my subdivision has turned into a cross country skiing trail just makes this icy cold snow season all the worse. At least when I lived in Pullman, Washington, they understood how to handle the snow. Every road was de-iced and plowed weekly and they would shovel the snow into snow banks on the sidewalk to keep parking spaces and roads clear. Has anyone been to downtown Boise and seen what they have done with the snow?? There is huge heaps of snow and ice in the parking areas and parking is dangerous. It is a mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area