Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 04:39 PM

48 posts, read 45,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityDweller View Post
Thirty years later, in 1991, my husband and I moved from Washington to Boise. The culture shock was even more pronounced. At that time Boise seemed like a provincial outpost to us.

But those immigrants wanted the goods and services and modern culture they enjoyed elsewhere before moving here, and their demand and influence has modernized and improved Treasure Valley immeasurably.
pro·vin·cial
2. of or concerning the regions outside the capital city of a country, especially when regarded as unsophisticated or narrow-minded.

Those unsophisticated rustics didn't provide you with the modern culture you demanded, so you decided to "improve" the place? How thoughtful. Why didn't you just stay home?

Quote:
This "interloper" anger is nothing new, it's been around for years, and occurs all over the US/world, not just Idaho. I believe its primary basis is envy.
Envy? I believe you misspelled "arrogance". But hey, that's just provincial me talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
There is no way to stop growth, and with growth comes change, guaranteed. You can embrace it, live with it, or move somewhere that suits you better. People do it all the time.
Move somewhere that suits you better? Like you did? Heh.

I'll stay and deal with it. I have no intention of moving somewhere else and forcing my preferences on the people already living there. Of course, I already know where you stand on this.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:03 PM

10 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure 12 View Post
pro·vin·cial
2. of or concerning the regions outside the capital city of a country, especially when regarded as unsophisticated or narrow-minded.

Those unsophisticated rustics didn't provide you with the modern culture you demanded, so you decided to "improve" the place? How thoughtful. Why didn't you just stay home?

Envy? I believe you misspelled "arrogance". But hey, that's just provincial me talking.
We moved here because of a job promotion, nothing else. We didn't make any demands or set about to improve anything; however, by default we added to the local economy by buying a home, paying state and local taxes, and taking an active part in the greater community. Nothing arrogant about that.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Nothing arrogant about that.
This sounds pretty arrogant:

Quote:
You can embrace it, live with it, or move somewhere that suits you better.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:29 PM

What did the immigrants think, that Idaho was a backwater so they could make whatever changes they wanted?

Old 09-19-2022, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 7,976 times
People from California need to consider what effect they have on local real estate markets...and rental costs...and cost of living. Boise will wind up as expensive as any Californian city if these keeps up. Californians already have achieved this in Portland, Oregon. This is exactly what will happen here. I consider it inevitable at this point. Now like Californians, I'm going online trying to find a random, affordable place to move to. Once rent costs increase into the thousands for a one bedroom and keep increasing by the thousands, it's a washout. It happened in Portland, Oregon. Then there's all the homelessness such a situation creates. Idaho is quickly becoming a place far different from what it's been. If you like this, that's fine.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:10 PM

The meteoric rise in home/rent prices over the last two years (especially in Boise) was caused by a large number of buyers entering a market with low inventory -- supply and demand -- not an influx from California. The top five cities that Californians moved to last year were Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Austin and Phoenix, in that order.

SO-CALLED NATIVE IDAHOANS -- BLAMING CALIFORNIANS FOR EVERYTHING SINCE THEY MOVED THE REAL NATIVES TO RESERVATIONS.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
Perhaps the real villains are Washingtonians moving here?
The top five cities that WA state folk (Seattle/Bellevue/Everett) moved to last year were Phoenix, Dallas, San Diego, DC and Chicago.

Population growth and movement has been going on since the beginning of time. Nobody is to blame.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:49 AM

629 posts, read 619,399 times
Quote:
The top five cities that Californians moved to last year were Seattle, Dallas, Houston, Austin and Phoenix, in that order.

SO-CALLED NATIVE IDAHOANS -- BLAMING CALIFORNIANS FOR EVERYTHING SINCE THEY MOVED THE REAL NATIVES TO RESERVATIONS.

In terms of total numbers, perhaps. But what about as a percentage of population they are adding to? A huge number added to a massive number is diluted and insignificant in terms of impact, compared to a smaller, but still very large, number added to a very small starting population. With Boise being a very small city, it doesn’t take much to shift a population in a dramatic way.

Not saying Californians are the devil (I moved to Boise from California in 2020, and I’ve seen the impact first hand even in a year and a half), but there’s no way to deny the effect of a large influx of refugees in a very short amount of time. And has been mentioned, when you have a shift like that, not only does it drive prices way up due to the added demand (and being able to outbid on anything they want), but they also push a cultural change, which from my perspective seeing how Californians are, is the more significant impact that could negatively impact the area. Cost of living can be adapted to, even if it is difficult, but a complete cultural change away from what people like about an area (in many ways in a polar opposite direction) is what I fear the most. Why people want to recreate what they ran from in their new home boggles the mind.

Old 09-21-2022, 01:54 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
The top five cities that WA state folk (Seattle/Bellevue/Everett) moved to last year were Phoenix, Dallas, San Diego, DC and Chicago.

Population growth and movement has been going on since the beginning of time. Nobody is to blame.
A few homes near mine recently sold and the new owners of both homes have autos with Washington plates and Joe Biden stickers.
This is what scares non Idahoan, Dorothy Moon, the terrible IFF and the corrupt Idaho Republican Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area