Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 02:11 PM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
We love Boise and plan to stay for the foreseeable future, at least until the kids are grown and out of the house. Great city to raise a family. I find that people are very friendly here, including newcomers, though those from big cities seem to need a little time to warm up. I'm still curious about complaints about traffic. Perhaps it's all relative, and since I've lived and/or worked in many major metro areas I have a different perspective, but to me traffic in Boise is nothing.

That said, I totally get that Boise is no longer a good fit for you. It happens, and it's wise to recognize this and make a change instead of nursing bitterness (life's too short for that!). So I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy the adventure and land in a good place.

I think the Midwest has many great places to live. While I haven't researched it extensively (so take this with a big grain of salt), Duluth MN has been on my radar for a while. May be worth checking out. Smaller metro area, low cost of living, scenic, Lake Superior waterfront, about average crime. Colder, snowier winters than Boise, which can be good or bad depending on one's preferences.

I'd also look at Rapid City, SD for the same reasons listed above (though higher cost of living).

Have you considered the smaller cities in southern Idaho: Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, etc.?

Speaking of traffic, what year did you move from California to Boise? Just wondering how much change you have seen in Boise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 02:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 796,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Speaking of traffic, what year did you move from California to Boise? Just wondering how much change you have seen in Boise.
We moved right before the pandemic, but also visited summer of 2019. I haven't noticed a big change in traffic despite the pandemic migration. Though I should mention that we bought in the North End, and part of our rationale was looking at maps, I could see that this area between downtown and the foothills (mostly protected open space) was essentially built out, so most of the growth is/was going to happen to the west and southwest. Our neighborhood is also older, with a grid layout and narrow streets, so a lot of traffic filters through at lower speeds. Everything we need is within ~1 mile, and we bike or walk most places. When we do drive, very rarely do we encounter real traffic. As an example, we almost never wait more than one cycle at a traffic signal.

My parents live in Eagle, and traffic out there is noticeably worse. But that was also true when we visited in 2019. IMO, Eagle and Meridian have the worst traffic in the Treasure Valley, especially on Eagle Rd, but also Chinden and Ustick and other arteries. When huge subdivided neighborhoods are built around the car and designed to limit thru traffic, then arterial roads get very congested. That's the trade-off of living in disconnected neighborhoods with lots of cul-de-sacs and dead-ends. We simply avoid these areas during commute hours.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 796,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
As a recent transplant from a Pacific coast state I wonder if this attitude of hostility is pervasive?
We've had a single negative interaction in our ~3 years here. It was with an older guy while we were skiing up a Bogus Basin. My wife was chatting with him in the lodge and he became irritated when he learned we were from CA and had some not very nice things to say. We remained calm and friendly, talked about the church we attend (which surprised him, guess he didn't expect that from Californians?), and then he simmered down. I got the sense he was a little embarrassed by his behavior by the end.

But that's it. Our neighbors have all been super welcoming and great. And we've made more friends here than we can shake a stick at.

Be nice to people and more often than not they'll reciprocate.

Old 01-03-2023, 09:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,070,692 times
Quote:
As a recent transplant from a Pacific coast state I wonder if this attitude of hostility is pervasive?
I go to real estate and builder conferences all over the country and every growth market in the nation has people hating growth because people have a tendency to keep things comfortable and the way they were. NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) is a common complaint. Growth brings more pressure on resources, new ideas, more traffic, increasing prices, etc.

Some people are very vocal trying to lock the door behind them after moved here (to get away from there). I believe them to be in the vocal minority. I suggest just blending in by changing license plates ASAP, don't say the local Mexican cuisine sucks compared to another state you might have come from, don't discuss politics until you know who you are talking with and if it is worth even discussing it with them, etc.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:08 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,780,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBroker View Post
don't discuss politics
Good advice! Just don't talk politics at all. We live in paradise, (or nearly so). No need to drag it down into the swamp.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-04-2023, 10:25 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Quote:
Any hostility is most likely coming from other California or west coast transplants. They are among the loudest and most disrespectful people on other local social media outlets.

Example: notice crass remark about a topic, person or politics regarding Boise or Idaho on local social media, click said persons profile, said person used to live in California.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:59 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Any hostility is most likely coming from other California or west coast transplants. They are among the loudest and most disrespectful people on other local social media outlets.

Example: notice crass remark about a topic, person or politics regarding Boise or Idaho on local social media, click said persons profile, said person used to live in California.
If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me. I grew up reading National Geographic. There is an article from March 1973 about Idaho, named "High Stepping Idaho". One thing mentioned was that some people from California would move to Idaho, and then complain about other newcomers.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:20 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,328,519 times
Nowhere to run anymore....

Old 01-04-2023, 09:52 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Nowhere to run anymore....
Not many desirable places to run to. Housing is expensive is pretty much anywhere desirable. Even some undesirable places are seeing housing prices go up.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not many desirable places to run to. Housing is expensive is pretty much anywhere desirable. Even some undesirable places are seeing housing prices go up.
That would have included Boise, as were were displaced from Colorado in the 70's due the the squeeze of influx of Texans and CA. Our ranch was turned into a MTN bike park. No more cowpies allowed. Only mtns of dog poop.

Boise was on our list and stops and interviews as we headed NW looking for a new place to call home. Several friends and coworkers ended up in Meridian, which was quite 'country / agriculture ' at the time. We pass through Boise a few times / yr for the past 40+ yrs, attend regional conferences at U. 3 ex-colleagues are now commuting to Boise each week or month in attempt to retain employment long enough to make it to retirement.
Helped a friend build cabin in Yellowpine during the early 1980s. Things have changed significantly everywhere. I hear people are even moving to Kemmerer, WY. It was nearly a ghost town several times.

I don't think the USA is the only country to live, for retirement. The communities many gave most of their lives to make into nice places to live.... Are no longer nice places to live. Safely, quietly, peacefully, affordably. I've seen so many retirees displaced due to increased costs (especially property taxes). It's just no longer possible to stay, without a job or income. Our property taxes on the same home, only it's now worn out.... has increased from <$3 / day to now over $46/ day. (Over 10x what we spend on food). Just for the privilege of laying your head on your own pillow. Watch out. Be prepared with a plan B and C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area