Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 02:05 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
That would have included Boise, as were were displaced from Colorado in the 70's due the the squeeze of influx of Texans and CA. Our ranch was turned into a MTN bike park. No more cowpies allowed. Only mtns of dog poop.

Boise was on our list and stops and interviews as we headed NW looking for a new place to call home. Several friends and coworkers ended up in Meridian, which was quite 'country / agriculture ' at the time. We pass through Boise a few times / yr for the past 40+ yrs, attend regional conferences at U. 3 ex-colleagues are now commuting to Boise each week or month in attempt to retain employment long enough to make it to retirement.
Helped a friend build cabin in Yellowpine during the early 1980s. Things have changed significantly everywhere. I hear people are even moving to Kemmerer, WY. It was nearly a ghost town several times.

I don't think the USA is the only country to live, for retirement. The communities many gave most of their lives to make into nice places to live.... Are no longer nice places to live. Safely, quietly, peacefully, affordably. I've seen so many retirees displaced due to increased costs (especially property taxes). It's just no longer possible to stay, without a job or income. Our property taxes on the same home, only it's now worn out.... has increased from <$3 / day to now over $46/ day. (Over 10x what we spend on food). Just for the privilege of laying your head on your own pillow. Watch out. Be prepared with a plan B and C.
Also take into account that some buyers leaving the states they worked in and retired from sometimes cannot collect the full medical benefits if they leave the state that they worked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 03:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Also take into account that some buyers leaving the states they worked in and retired from sometimes cannot collect the full medical benefits if they leave the state that they worked in.
And take into account many USA workers have not had HC, and will have nothing except Medicare once they are age 65 (If they should live that long.)

Our CA based wicked witch CEO took our retiree HC benefits, as well as our previously accrued Sick leave (800+ hrs from me)

We were without HC for 17 yrs, but miraculously survived until age 65. Many of my friends did not. They're dead.
Medicare will soon not be affordable. ~$800 / month for 2 YOUNG retirees at the moment. Headed up, way up.

Patients beyond borders was a BIG help. (international HC)

Old 01-05-2023, 02:27 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,105,500 times
You don't have to go far OP to get away from Boise growth and congestion. You can go east, as has been mention, or go West that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. You mention wanting a small town where you can concentrate on your furniture making. Go someplace like Sumpter, OR. Still very red and conservative in the area. Yes, Oregon as a whole is considered very liberal, but that is dominated by the Willamette Valley cities. Even most of rural Western Oregon is still pretty conservative. Anyway, somewhere like Sumpter, a bit bigger, John Day or Baker City. Many other small Eastern Oregon towns, like Elgin, Cove, Union, Enterprise, Joseph, Halfway, North Powder, Weston, Milton-Freewater, on, and on. Easy to visit and investigate multiple times before you find your right place. You'd still be able to make a weekend trip back to the Boise area to see old friends or family. Most of these towns are small enough and isolated enough that they won't grow like Boise and its metro area. Many are shrinking a bit as kids move to... Boise, and parents/grandparents pass away.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
You don't have to go far OP to get away from Boise growth and congestion. You can go east, as has been mention, or go West that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. You mention wanting a small town where you can concentrate on your furniture making. Go someplace like Sumpter, OR. Still very red and conservative in the area. Yes, Oregon as a whole is considered very liberal, but that is dominated by the Willamette Valley cities. Even most of rural Western Oregon is still pretty conservative. Anyway, somewhere like Sumpter, a bit bigger, John Day or Baker City. Many other small Eastern Oregon towns, like Elgin, Cove, Union, Enterprise, Joseph, Halfway, North Powder, Weston, Milton-Freewater, on, and on. Easy to visit and investigate multiple times before you find your right place. You'd still be able to make a weekend trip back to the Boise area to see old friends or family. Most of these towns are small enough and isolated enough that they won't grow like Boise and its metro area. Many are shrinking a bit as kids move to... Boise, and parents/grandparents pass away.
East as in Mountain Home, Burley, Hagerman, Gooding, Jerome, Kimberly, Buhl, Burley, Rupert, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, Chubbuck, Rexburg, Shelley, Firth and Rigby?

Old 01-06-2023, 03:37 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
East as in Mountain Home, Burley, Hagerman, Gooding, Jerome, Kimberly, Buhl, Burley, Rupert, Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, Chubbuck, Rexburg, Shelley, Firth and Rigby?
Boise is close to the western state boundary. Oregon is pretty close once a person is west of Caldwell. Homedale, Marsing, and Wilder are all only about 10 miles away from the Oregon border, and Parma isn't much further away.

When I was going to college in Caldwell, I drove a bunch of other students who rode with me over to Oregon where I caught US 95. It dumped us out at Winnemucca, where I picked up I-80 and then on to San Mateo. It was the quickest route. A nice drive, too.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-06-2023 at 03:56 AM..

Old 01-07-2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Boise is close to the western state boundary. Oregon is pretty close once a person is west of Caldwell. Homedale, Marsing, and Wilder are all only about 10 miles away from the Oregon border, and Parma isn't much further away.

When I was going to college in Caldwell, I drove a bunch of other students who rode with me over to Oregon where I caught US 95. It dumped us out at Winnemucca, where I picked up I-80 and then on to San Mateo. It was the quickest route. A nice drive, too.
Yes Marsing and Wilder are far west from Boise and much closer to the Oregon border. If one doesn't want to go in that direction there is always east Idaho away from Boise in the above towns.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:06 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Yes Marsing and Wilder are far west from Boise and much closer to the Oregon border. If one doesn't want to go in that direction there is always east Idaho away from Boise in the above towns.
Marsing and Wilder aren't "far" west from Boise, they are not much further from Boise than Caldwell is. Boise is only about a 45 minutes drive from the Oregon state line.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
For California transplants living near downtown Boise, Marsing might as well be the Moon. Personally I love that area, very tranquil.
The moon is nice for a change. Lots of space, less people, traffic congestion and privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area