Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:40 PM

19 posts, read 84,820 times

Advertisements

So I finally took some time off and made the drive to Boise with my sweet wife and 2 yr old. It's about 10 hours each way from our part of Northern CA.

All I could initailly say was: Wow!
After reading this and several other boards, I was not sure what to expect. It seems that there is a bunch of misinformation out there about Boise. It's a whole lot nicer than many posters state. Maybe it's because they know what a "gem" they have and don't want all of us intruding? Be proud of your home, Boiseans--it's wonderful!

It is much greener than I expected and super clean. The downtown was beautiful as were the 'burbs. I love the rural feel with development interspersed.

I deliberately drove on I-84 during 'rush hour' and it wasn't bad at all. For those of us used to driving anywhere near LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, SLC, Sacramento, etc., it's cake.

Everyone we met was quite nice, even with our CA plates. Most folks waved when you drove by. (Refreshing)
I had several folks offer advice on where to live, what schools to go to, job searching, etc. Wow again!

We looked at several "Spec" or Production home builders: Hubble, CBH, Aspen, etc.

As a residential/commercial builder for many years, my perspective follows:

Hubble: good value, sound construction, boxy, roomy, perfect for those starting out, or likely to stay in the home awhile. They might be difficult to resell due to perception. (2x6 exteriors with R19 and R31 ceiling; low e dual panes etc--that's pretty good buiding and energy efficient)

CBH: well built, good value, nicer aesthetically, more colorful, better exterior cladding; probably good resale value. I nearly bought one of their homes this weekend, for myself, but decided to wait a little longer for the bottom of the market. Prices are outstanding compared to Northern CA/Southern NV--about 30-50% lower, depending on what you want.

Aspen: similar to CBH, but a little fancier. Perception is higher resale, but construction of the actual shell is nearly identical to the other two builders.

I think, because production home building is a relatively new thing to the valley, there is a perception of poor quality. You do get what you pay for with respect to fit and finish, but they would all pass code easily--even in crazy CA.
The existing homes I saw were quite varying in quality, style and price. I think the new homes have a much better price/ft in what we saw, although existing homes have larger yards on the whole.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I wanted to touch all the bases.
All in all, I am thoroughly impressed with Ada County and will definitely be moving there in the next year or less.

Cheers!
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 84,820 times
Wesley,
would you mind elaborating on your opinion about them not being nice homes?

I only ask because I sometimes run into this same opinion in other cities/States, when people have little or no familiarity with production home building.

I am very curious about the perceived or real problems that those homeowners faced, owning a Hubble or CBH home.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
No they don't want more people.. when I lived there the general attitude was they HATED Californians. I am starting to understand why.

I loved Boise.. but your going to run into many business and locals who are P.O'd.. that there are so many new people moving there, and the ones the resent the most are Californians.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleyclan View Post
So I finally took some time off and made the drive to Boise with my sweet wife and 2 yr old. It's about 10 hours each way from our part of Northern CA.

After reading this and several other boards, I was not sure what to expect. It seems that there is a bunch of misinformation out there about Boise. It's a whole lot nicer than many posters state. Maybe it's because they know what a "gem" they have and don't want all of us intruding? Be proud of your home, Boiseans--it's wonderful!

It is much greener than I expected and super clean. The downtown was beautiful as were the 'burbs. I love the rural feel with development interspersed.

I deliberately drove on I-84 during 'rush hour' and it wasn't bad at all. For those of us used to driving anywhere near LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, SLC, Sacramento, etc., it's cake.

Everyone we met was quite nice, even with our CA plates. Most folks waved when you drove by. (Refreshing)
I had several folks offer advice on where to live, what schools to go to, job searching, etc. Wow again!

We looked at several "Spec" or Production home builders: Hubble, CBH, Aspen, etc.

As a residential/commercial builder for many years, my perspective follows:

Hubble: good value, sound construction, boxy, roomy, perfect for those starting out, or likely to stay in the home awhile. They might be difficult to resell due to perception. (2x6 exteriors with R19 and R31 ceiling; low e dual panes etc--that's pretty good buiding and energy efficient)

CBH: well built, good value, nicer aesthetically, more colorful, better exterior cladding; probably good resale value. I nearly bought one of their homes this weekend, for myself, but decided to wait a little longer for the bottom of the market. Prices are outstanding compared to Northern CA/Southern NV--about 30-50% lower, depending on what you want.

Aspen: similar to CBH, but a little fancier. Perception is higher resale, but construction of the actual shell is nearly identical to the other two builders.

I think, because production home building is a relatively new thing to the valley, there is a perception of poor quality. You do get what you pay for with respect to fit and finish, but they would all pass code easily--even in crazy CA.
The existing homes I saw were quite varying in quality, style and price. I think the new homes have a much better price/ft in what we saw, although existing homes have larger yards on the whole.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I wanted to touch all the bases.
All in all, I am thoroughly impressed with Ada County and will definitely be moving there in the next year or less.

Cheers!
Pat
Thank you for taking the time to say something!!! This is what I've been saying for the last year on the Boise forum. Coming from a different area myself, I had the same impression you did when I first moved to Boise, "Wow"; so I have a pretty good understanding of what people are looking for and how it would be appealing to those from the outside. It's been over 5 years since we moved here, and we still love it just as much when we first came. I really think you won't be disappointed once you establish roots here.

Thanks again for letting us know!

Last edited by Torrie; 07-02-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM

151 posts, read 459,561 times
Default From where did you move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Thank you for taking the time to say something!!! This is what I've been saying for the last year on the Boise forum. Coming from a different area myself, I had the same impression you did when I first moved to the area, "Wow"; so I have a pretty good understanding of what people are looking for and how it would be appealing to those from the outside. It's been over 5 years since we moved here, and we still love it just as much when we first came. I really think you won't be disappointed once you establish roots here.

Thanks again for letting us know!

I read so many opinions on boise or any other city in the northwest and I've always known the area to be gorgeous, so negative comments are probably an attempt to dissuade others from moving there. It's a good thing I'm not that naive. Have you heard about people form Chicago moving there?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM

I know what you mean, there have been people on here in the past that don't want outsiders coming in and will paint a negative picture to purposely confuse people. Which is why it's best to come take a look for yourself. I consistently tout Boise as a great place to live, and yes I'm an agent, but I truly believe that most, once they come, will be really happy with what they see. So hearing the viewpoint of Buckleyclan just verifies what several of us have been saying.

I have heard of people who have moved here from Chicago. I personally haven't worked with anyone......I knew of someone who lived here, her husband tragically passed away, she moved back to Chicago to get some family assistance and then decided she liked it here so much she wanted to come back.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,592 times
Post Wow ... is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckleyclan View Post
All in all, I am thoroughly impressed with Ada County ...
"Wow.." were my exact words upon my first visit and I came here in January my first time.
Everyone kept saying, "this is the worst time to be here" and I all thought was, "If this THIS is the WORST, bring on the best "

I loved it here from the get go.
Once I returned to AZ, I was a woman on a mission and that mission was to move my family to Boise.
We job hunted, sold our house ... made a few more trips and Boom here we are. We've been here 8 months now and we count our lucky stars everyday.
We are sooo happy with the move.

I am from CA and my husband is from AZ ... we have NEVER felt any hostility about not being born here.
People have been friendly and welcoming. It is truly a refreshing change of pace.

As for the builders, the only comment I will make regarding resale is that you will always have better resale in a subdivision that has a variety of builders in in it, in contrast to a subdivision that is only one builder.

I too, have young children and that is what prompted our move from AZ.
We wanted a better environment. It's neat seeing big houses next to farms and horses next to RV'S.
It's just a mish mosh of people and things.

I've been to a few nice restaurants and seen a man in a Designer suit sitting near a guy in overalls ... nobody cared and nobody looked out of place ... it was awesome.
Someone on this board once said, "Boise is big enough to have everything you need (or want) and small enough to find it."

I hope you and your family make the move soon. I'm sure you will love it here as much as most of us do.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerardo View Post
I read so many opinions on boise or any other city in the northwest and I've always known the area to be gorgeous, so negative comments are probably an attempt to dissuade others from moving there. It's a good thing I'm not that naive. Have you heard about people form Chicago moving there?

I'm sorry I missed your first question in the headline. We moved from Vancouver, WA over to Boise. I'm originally from CA. If you click on my name and look at my profile you can see all the places I use to live. So that's why I get the traffic thing- hardly a "quagmire" like it's been portrayed to be, LOL!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley81 View Post
To purposefully confuse people or perhaps they just didn't have the same perception of the place as you? Seems a little arrogant or condescending to suggest that your opinion is somehow more valid, doesn't it?
There's nothing arrogant or condescending about what I've said. I work with a lot of out of state people and have a pretty good understanding as to what they're looking for in a new location. In addition I've moved several times myself so I can relate to the concerns one might have when considering relocation. In the past I have been challenged on my comments of Boise; I get accused of "selling" the place because I'm an agent. I can't tell you how many people I've taken out and showed around and their perception is very much the same as Buckleyclan. Several people who have visited the area have come back on the forum to say what a great place it is to live and for that I'm grateful as it validates what several of us have said.

The ones that I recalled complaining the most were locals who weren't very excited about the influx of people moving in, not people from out of the area. I see that you are a new member; had you been following all the posts over the past year, you probably would have a better understanding as to where I'm coming from. It has been my experience between working with out of state people and people here on the forum, most are more than happy with what Boise has to offer and find the quality of life here refreshing.

Now.......I think Buckleyclan asked you a question that you haven't answered yet.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Now.......I think Buckleyclan asked you a question that you haven't answered yet.
I did, but it was ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area