Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:43 PM

58 posts, read 167,595 times

Advertisements

I moved in the valley from Mesa Arizona, and for the last 2 months have not found any employment. I have applied to more than 500 positions. Only 2 interviews!! Every place I ask if they are hiring, they tell me they are full up or will be laying workers off soon. With Micron, Hewlett Packard, MPC and even hospitals laying off workers, it has put the local economy upsidedown. You can't even find a job in fast foods. Every place you go to put a application for a open position, there are a hundred other people trying to get just one job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:16 PM

130 posts, read 428,541 times
Well, get ready for the standard responses:

1. It's something you're doing wrong or
2. You have your standards set too high

I moved to Idaho to get married, but since we couldn't live on just his policeman's pension, I got a job before I got there, lost it, and couldn't get another one to save my life.

To make a long story short, I went back to Washington, but by the time I got work and started bringing in some money, the bank had already started foreclosure proceedings. So, by moving to Idaho looking for that happy ending, I lost everything I own and am starting over from scratch, which includes living with my elderly mother and stepfather.

Things are tough all over. All I can say is, God bless you and I hope things get better. Don't bother looking for sympathy, because you won't get much.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 AM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
Hmm...you all are making me wonder if picking up and leaving California or NID is a bad idea. If it was just me I would have left months ago, but I got a wife and a young kid to take care of.... Where is treasure valley?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
Hmm...you all are making me wonder if picking up and leaving California or NID is a bad idea. If it was just me I would have left months ago, but I got a wife and a young kid to take care of.... Where is treasure valley?
He's talking about Boise-Metro. The economy is taking a big hit both in Southern Idaho and Norhtern Idaho. Unfortunately, most places you look are having the same problem, Idaho is no different, so I wouldn't consider this an isolated case. I still have clients that seem to be able to find jobs, don't ask me how, but they're coming with jobs. The best thing you can do is have a job before you come, but that's advice I think anyone should consider before they make a move, especially now.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 PM

464 posts, read 1,111,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
He's talking about Boise-Metro. The economy is taking a big hit both in Southern Idaho and Norhtern Idaho. Unfortunately, most places you look are having the same problem, Idaho is no different, so I wouldn't consider this an isolated case. I still have clients that seem to be able to find jobs, don't ask me how, but they're coming with jobs. The best thing you can do is have a job before you come, but that's advice I think anyone should consider before they make a move, especially now.
Thanks! That's the plan I had anyway. Anyone need someone who can type 80 WPM?

No amount of bad news seems to be up to the task of knocking me off of my Idaho or bust in '09 mantra!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Thanks! That's the plan I had anyway. Anyone need someone who can type 80 WPM?

No amount of bad news seems to be up to the task of knocking me off of my Idaho or bust in '09 mantra!
That's good you're feeling persistent, 'cause you'll need it. It took a lot to make me leave Idaho, but I had the college grad catch-22 of being inexperienced/overqualified. Eventually, my dad had a friend who could help me get my foot in the door here in NM, and so I put Bogus Basin in the rear view.

I had an easy time finding service sector openings myself in Boise and then neglecting to mention my college degree, but for starting a career I was setting myself up for trying to mix interviews with the inflexibility of service sector hours. All job postings I saw wanted at least three years professional office experience for anything that offered upward mobility. Boise is a city where you're better off if you have a network than if you're just appearing randomly on the market, mainly due to the competition for every decent job.

Employers are quite able to be picky in that type of market, too, so unless you can really tailor your resume, you're getting filed away for future reference at best. You'd benefit to find an insider to tell you exactly what they can't find as opposed to just a classified to tell you what they're looking for. As I've built experience, that different take has served me well in the perpetual layoff that is government contracting. In fact, one day I hope to stand out enough to successfully return to Idaho.

In any case, Idaho is worth persistence and I do wish I'd found a way to stay before things bottomed out as they did. Service sector work is all about just dropping all expectations (I had high standards in that I didn't want to work for a chain). Food service jobs always have people getting fired and quitting at random (not a stereotype... I used to work and hang out with restaurant managers in college), so there are a lot of word-of-mouth openings. In Boise, I had friends with jobs (and thereby money without spare time for a trip home during the day), so when all else failed I'd just meet up with them for lunch and it didn't take long to find places where "we're sorry for the wait, but our _______ didn't show up today". Right there, if you aren't dressed like a street urchin, you'll have a great opportunity to directly compete with an expendable employee... an unappreciative person who apparently isn't as worried about livelihood as you. It sounds mean until you talk to victims of a no-show on a daily basis... then it's just survival of the neediest with a good deed that has an easy competitive edge.

My envy aside, best hopes.
Some small businesses with jobs like dishwashing and food prep will let you show them your stuff on the spot. And hey, holdin' on to a dream, money is money along the way.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,153 times
Quote:
Treasure Valley is the Western portion of the I-84 corridor from Nampa down to Middleton/Star/Eagle, plus all of Meridian and Boise. Pretty much, it's how the "Boise Metro" is referenced among locals. Basically, if you can see the Bogus Basin mountains and/or Boise River (read below) flying low in a chopper, you're in the Treasure Valley.

As you go down to Twin Falls and Jerome, it's called the Magic Valley. A drive on that portion of I-84 makes it apparent that the valleys lie along extensions of the same mountain range and don't have much in between; thus, what separates them are portions of elevated desert between rivers. The valleys are designated as such by rivers amidst elevated desert as opposed to plains in mountains. This is in stark contrast with North Idaho and upper East Idaho, which are more montane hills, pastures, and meadows.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,886 times
These are tough times. Not long ago, jobs could be found in Idaho - pretty much throughout the State. You sometimes had to start at an entry level, regardless of your academic background or experience, but jobs could be found. If you had talent and produced, opportunities for advancement were available.

Things have changed. What has happened in Idaho has happened throughout the country. Jobs have been lost, as the economy has receeded. Layoffs have put many on the street, looking for work. The competition for jobs has ramped up. Employers - those few who are hiring - have an increased pool of possibilities to choose from.

That means that those looking for work have to keep trying. Don't give up or get discouraged. Keep selling yourself and your abilities. There is employment for those who keep plugging away. I wish you success!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 PM

58 posts, read 167,595 times
Thank You, for the information about Idaho employment and encouragement.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,653 times
Yes, these bad times are not isolated to Idaho. So one can't really say Idaho caused their life to fall apart. Sadly, people's lives are falling apart everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area