Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:11 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times

Advertisements

due to all the Californians moving in. Is this really the case or would it still be considered conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
There was an article in the Idaho Statesman titled How We Voted. It shows the resutls for Ada County(which includes Boise, Star, Eagle, Kuna & Meridian). I tried to pull it but it's in the archives and you have to pay for the article. I believe it's $2.95. The article ran on Nov 22, 2008, but I believe it shows up online on Nov 21.

Ada County voted heavily Republican-according to the article, heavily means 60% or more. In Canyon County McCain beat Obama 67% to 31%. Out of the 54 precincts, McCain won 50 and Obama won 4. Idaho as a whole was McCain's fourth best state where he had a 62% victory.

When I look at the map there's only a small area where Obama won 60% or more of the vote, which is mainly in the downtown area and North End. When I say small I mean, when you look at Ada County as a whole it appears to be a small portion.

Our area(Boise-Metro) isn't like what you'd experience in SF, if that's what you're concerned about, it's still pretty conservative. Some of the clients I've worked with from California actually have seeked out Boise because they're tired of the liberalism in Cali-not that their opinions are what the majority feel who come here, but a few have mentioned that to me.

You should check out the article, it's interesting, I bet they do it every election-it would be neat to put the same maps next to one another from each election to observe changes in voting patterns over the years.

Hope this answers your question.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM

238 posts, read 863,615 times
Default "has become"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
due to all the Californians moving in. Is this really the case or would it still be considered conservative?
I read the Statesman's election coverage, and if my memory serves me right, none of the Ada County districts switched parties in their state representative races.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:54 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
I think of liberal as more than just who you voted for, but the overwhelming vote for McCain is telling. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM

The statewide 25 percent showing for Ron Paul in the primary is a bit telling as well

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM

314 posts, read 1,218,367 times
Considering that McCain won the presidential election here and that Boiseans and Idahoans thought fit enough to replace a national embarrassment like Larry Craig with another Republican, and only 1 Democrat won election because he beat a complete moron Republican...

How "liberal" is Boise? Seriously.

The Californians that are moving here are the conservative Californians that can't afford to live in California anymore. As the governator stated publically California has a revenue problem, not a spending problem. That revenue is going to have to come from property taxes at some point and these Californians don't want to be around when the music stops, basically.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being the entire population is left (liberal) and 10 being the entire population is right (conservative), I would rate the Boise area as about a 7 or even 8. As a an Idaho native and a liberal, I find myself completely surrounded by conservatives. Even the "liberals" here have a lot of issues they lean conservative.

I think Boise has become "more" liberal over the past few years, but on the scale of moving from a 9.5 to a 7 or 8. Its still conservative central here.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being the entire population is left (liberal) and 10 being the entire population is right (conservative), I would rate the Boise area as about a 7 or even 8. As a an Idaho native and a liberal, I find myself completely surrounded by conservatives. Even the "liberals" here have a lot of issues they lean conservative.

I think Boise has become "more" liberal over the past few years, but on the scale of moving from a 9.5 to a 7 or 8. Its still conservative central here.
That's an awfuly broad brush... I'm so far right I'm confused for left at times... and some of my left leaning friends could be confused for right at times... we need more viable parties.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 15,353 times
at least a large portion of the northend leans liberal. There are definitely hundreds of Obama signs in yards, bumper stickers, etc. Also the Hyde Park Festival each year that the locals call "hippie fest". Recycling is a norm and the feel is definitely liberal in my opinion. This area has a much different feel to it than the rest of Boise. Although there may be other areas. I am not from California and did not know anyone personally that was while in Boise so I don't think that the reason for these possible changes would be due to the influence of people from another state.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 15,353 times
ps. Although most that I know, if not all, voted for Obama and held big parties, this area is such a small percentage of Boise and Boise is definitely ran by conservatives. I would have to agree that Boise is very slowly becoming more liberal but will be a conservative county as a whole for many, many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area