Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Satisfaction of Boise Metro Area Residents
100%: No negative factors come to mind 18 7.38%
90%: Nearly perfect, flaws nearly imperceptible 34 13.93%
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor. 54 22.13%
70%: Very positive view. Good very solidly outweighs bad. 68 27.87%
60%: More good than bad, but not by a big margin. 21 8.61%
50%: Very average. Good balances the bad. 10 4.10%
40%: Below average. Bad outweighs the good. 11 4.51%
30%: Way below average. Not many positives here. 8 3.28%
20%: Boise is really bad. Can't really see good. Would rather move. 4 1.64%
10%: Boise is awful and I'm moving. Nothing good about that place at all. 5 2.05%
0%: I left Boise, and hope I never see it again. 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM

72 posts, read 126,367 times

Advertisements

How's the job situation now in Boise? We'd love to move up there but the 'right to work' slave wages and the current depression must have had a one/two punch effect on wages and jobs there. We're only looking for part time work. Please give some feedback on this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 23,965 times
I grew up in a military family. Every 2-3 years it was a new state, a new way of life, etc. I chose to move to Boise when I was 22. I've been here a few months shy of 13 years now. There is no better place to live as far as I've seen.

Crime? The only real crime here is vehicle thefts. Assault, rape, murder, violence and whatnot are all very low. This is typical in areas with a large Mormon population.
Wages? Low but so is the cost of living.
Traffic? You've gotta be kidding. Our worst days are still better than a good day in Seattle.
Gangs? Punks. You'll find worse biker gangs in Coos Bay, OR.
The only real drawbacks comes from the insatiable need for religious people to dominate the lives of others. That is easily overcome by not letting them. You can still buy your booze on Sunday. You have a wide choice of nightclubs and bars.
Jobs? We're not so heavily regulated that if you can't find one that you can't make one.

Really the only thing we lack around here are the eclectic bag of weirdos and freaks that make walking the streets downtown a sight to behold.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18dd2 View Post
That only applies to liberals. I have lived here for the last 1 1/2 years and now own a home. I moved here from Portland Oregon after living there for 22 years and WOW, what a difference. Here the people are actually friendly and will talk to you. Great place to raise a family.
So does this mean people with liberal tendencies will be outcasts? I may be relocating to the Boise area soon, and I have to admit, I am a little disheartened by some of the comments I've seen here about how conservative Idaho is, and how people who do not "fit in" should stay away.

I currently live in Alaska, which also has a bit of a reputation for being conservative, but the fact is, it's a pretty "live-and-let-live" kind of place, with a lot of independent thinkers who don't really judge others for their opinions...as long as you don't force them on anyone. Is the Boise area really so different?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
So does this mean people with liberal tendencies will be outcasts? I may be relocating to the Boise area soon, and I have to admit, I am a little disheartened by some of the comments I've seen here about how conservative Idaho is, and how people who do not "fit in" should stay away.

I currently live in Alaska, which also has a bit of a reputation for being conservative, but the fact is, it's a pretty "live-and-let-live" kind of place, with a lot of independent thinkers who don't really judge others for their opinions...as long as you don't force them on anyone. Is the Boise area really so different?
I know some left-of-center people in Boise, and they get along just fine with their neighbors and other folks, but they're not super outspoken "in your face" about their views.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post

No worries, Boise has that "live and let live" attitude, it is large enough to have a good middle ground of liberalism and conservatism. People here are accepting and this little city is actually pretty diverse. I know several people who have moved here from Alaska and they love it here and have fit right in.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 PM

72 posts, read 126,367 times
Maybe I worded my question wrong before.

How's your satisfaction with the job situation NOW in Boise?

We'd love to move up there but the 'right to work' slave wages and the current depression must have had a one/two punch effect on wages and jobs there.

We're only looking for part time work.

Please give some feedback on this.
Thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,017 times
I would also be interested in the job situation there. We've lived in FL and GA (both leave a lot to be desired in terms of safety). What is a "good" job up there? $30,000? Is there intense competition for $8/hr jobs like there is here in Orlando? If the cost of living is low (esp energy costs, yeah!), then $30k might be great. FL is very expensive in terms of energy costs, auto insurance, and homeowner's insurance. It's just not worth it at all, esp since we've had 2 home invasions in our first neighborhood and someone was trying to get into my car in our driveway the other night in our second neighborhood!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I would also be interested in the job situation there. We've lived in FL and GA (both leave a lot to be desired in terms of safety). What is a "good" job up there? $30,000? Is there intense competition for $8/hr jobs like there is here in Orlando? If the cost of living is low (esp energy costs, yeah!), then $30k might be great. FL is very expensive in terms of energy costs, auto insurance, and homeowner's insurance. It's just not worth it at all, esp since we've had 2 home invasions in our first neighborhood and someone was trying to get into my car in our driveway the other night in our second neighborhood!
I'm thinking about Boise also and read your comment about GA. Got to respond that Ive been all over the state and lived both in North Metro Atlanta and Just outside of Savannah. Saying that Ga is not safe is generalizing too much I would say. Ive lived and visited areas that are most safe and also know that there are unsafe locations also. Just want to clear that up because if I could afford to, I could think of North Georgia Mountains (south Appalacian chain) as ideal and peaceful and safe as well as beautiful! Have spent many summers and winters roaming through the wooded mountains and fishing mountain reservoirs up there

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post

We'd love to move up there but the 'right to work' slave wages and the current depression must have had a one/two punch effect on wages and jobs there.

Thanks
After living in worse situations in AZ...a state I moved back to from Boise (stupid me) I actually miss Boise as its a chunk above better wages than here in phoenix.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:09 PM

125 posts, read 331,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post

Thanks
Hmm, well . . . the unemployment rate has gone down in the last couple of years, but you will still get ahead much more quickly and make more money if you are LDS. Otherwise, you could get a p/t service job and buy a P/T Cruiser and change your name to Petey Pillowbiter. That would be cool dude.

The Right To Work is more of a right of employers to hire non-union labor than it is a matter of worker's rights as everywhere, but the median income in ID is fairly high compared to say, Utah; maybe that has to do with average family size being bigger there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area