Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 14,194 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have an opportunity to move to Boise. We have been there on business a few times and liked what we saw. However, before we make this move we would appreciate any feedback from residents of the area.

Our biggest concern is what area we would fit into so that we could make some friends and enjoy what Boise has to offer.

A little bit about us. We are an empty nest couple in our early 50's with two very much loved dogs. Our roots are in the midwest but spent many years in FL and loved it there while raising our family. We have spent the last 3 years in the Seattle area and never felt like we belonged. Too many people trying to prove how progressive they are. We, also, do not like the damp grey weather.

We are very moderate in our political and religious beliefs. But lean more to the right. We are easy going and down to earth with a good sense of humor. We enjoy walking, hiking, riding bikes, and boating. My husband golfs and I hope to learn. We enjoy our happy hour but don't get carried away.

I guess I'm a little nervous about moving to another area where we feel we don't belong. Is there any place in Boise we might fit in? Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,683,244 times
You'll be fine.

The only problem is it can be harder to meet people and make friends in Boise because of the infamous "northwest reserve." It's not as pronounced here as it is in Seattle, but it's here. You just have to try harder.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM

238 posts, read 863,764 times
You two sound like you'll fit in aywhere you go in the Treasure Valley. There might even be some good deals on golf adjacent property these days.

Best of luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 AM

58 posts, read 167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdroppingin View Post
My husband and I have an opportunity to move to Boise. We have been there on business a few times and liked what we saw. However, before we make this move we would appreciate any feedback from residents of the area.

Our biggest concern is what area we would fit into so that we could make some friends and enjoy what Boise has to offer.

A little bit about us. We are an empty nest couple in our early 50's with two very much loved dogs. Our roots are in the midwest but spent many years in FL and loved it there while raising our family. We have spent the last 3 years in the Seattle area and never felt like we belonged. Too many people trying to prove how progressive they are. We, also, do not like the damp grey weather.

We are very moderate in our political and religious beliefs. But lean more to the right. We are easy going and down to earth with a good sense of humor. We enjoy walking, hiking, riding bikes, and boating. My husband golfs and I hope to learn. We enjoy our happy hour but don't get carried away.

I guess I'm a little nervous about moving to another area where we feel we don't belong. Is there any place in Boise we might fit in? Thanks for any responses.

You should fit in ok. Boise does have periods of damp grey weather and fog in the winter, that we were not used to coming from sunny Arizona.
Its hard here to make neighborhood friends, people are not too outgoing.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 AM

9 posts, read 14,194 times
Thanks for the replies. We are used to sunny weather after living in FL for so many years and have had a hard time adjusting to the lack of it in Seattle. This year, though, seems to have been a little sunnier even with the snow. But it never gets hot enough in Seattle even in the summer it's still chilly.

We have been to Boise once last summer and just this past week in March (it was raining). We were impressed with how clean the city is. And the mountains sure looked pretty last week. We, also, liked the open spaces......I sometimes feel claustrophobic in Seattle.

Anyway, we will rent at first (hopefully someone won't mind my very large lab). We will be looking to buy after our house sells here (good luck with that). My concern is finding an area where there are empty nesters such as ourselves. Eagle and Meridian seemed nice but I'm concerned that most neighborhoods would be full of young families and we wouldn't fit in. I love the older homes in North Boise but we have done that before and don't want to have all that work again.

Are there any golf course communities that anyone could recommend? Also, could someone explain to me where the Boise bench area is? Also, we will have a boat again....what and where are the recreational lakes around Boise? Looking forward to a nice hot summer.

Thanks again.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:52 AM

238 posts, read 863,764 times
You should find plenty of empty nesters near any golf course. Housing options range from 100 yr old homes S. of downtown Caldwell for 70k plus, near a Municipal type course, to Million dolar homes on Banbury G.C. in Eagle, to all points in between. It's just a question of how much you want to spend, and how close to Boise you want to be... oh, and the Boise bench is the area south of downtown above the Boise river drainage.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 PM

993 posts, read 3,254,198 times
Most important is we are all citizen of this fine country and you will fit in if you want to.
Just treat everyone the way you wa nt to be treated and it will all work out fine

Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,851 times
justdroppingin, Boise does seem to be a better fit for you. I live in Seattle, and have lived in Boise. Keep in mind that Boise tends to get winter inversions, making it cold, overcast and smoggy (it's warmer and sunny above the inversion, like at the ski area above Boise). Other than that you'd have plenty of sun. It can get to 110+ degrees in summer on occassion.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
How about retirement communities for people 55 and older? A friend lives in one in Nampa that is all single family houses and loves it. She's in her 40's but got in because her husband is older. Does anyone know of one that's not too stodgy and doesn't smell like old people in Boise or Meridian?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM

993 posts, read 3,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
How about retirement communities for people 55 and older? Does anyone know of one that's not too stodgy and doesn't smell like old people ?

I don't care who you are thats funny right there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area