Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtan818 View Post

"That being said, Boise is much larger and offers much more economy within the city itself. "

Colorado Springs population is around 400,000. Boise's is around 250,000. Enough said. Well, maybe not enough... if you want big city amenities you can drive to Denver. If you want that in Boise, you probably have to fly to Seattle. I'm liking Boise, anyway, but this is not a reason to dis The Springs.
I'm sort of anal about population arguments. Boise is home to nearly 203,000 people. Colorado Springs is populated with nearly 403,000. However, when you bring in the surrounding areas (metro), Boise comes in at nearly 588,000 and Colorado Springs at 609,000. Fairly similar. Just saying you can't necessarily determine the status of a Metro by its main city. Perfect example is Salt Lake City which has a smaller population than Boise City but the Metro area is much, much larger.

But there is no arguing that Colorado Springs is closer to a real city; Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,276 times
Boise can't hold a candle to Colorado Springs, the Springs has Tejon Street, lined up with nightclubs bowling, live music, great restaurants, The Springs is huge by comparison 180 sq miles there is major sprawl here in the Springs. The Economy, well Boise can't hold a candle to that either our recession is over, not to mention it's gorgeous here with all the natural trails. Yes there is the conservative aspect here but that is primarily on the north side of town. I've passed thru Boise and you don't have half of what the Springs offers, it's pretty there, but it's no Colorado Springs. Pleeeez. Culturally it is greatly improved here, there is a significant African American population here, and a large Hispanic population here, and restaurants of many cultures here, all you guys have is Basque. We have the Air Force Academy here, the Olympic Training Center here, National Defense, NORAD, and that's just naming a few.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Man View Post
Boise can't hold a candle to Colorado Springs, the Springs has Tejon Street, lined up with nightclubs bowling, live music, great restaurants, The Springs is huge by comparison 180 sq miles there is major sprawl here in the Springs. The Economy, well Boise can't hold a candle to that either our recession is over, not to mention it's gorgeous here with all the natural trails. Yes there is the conservative aspect here but that is primarily on the north side of town. I've passed thru Boise and you don't have half of what the Springs offers, it's pretty there, but it's no Colorado Springs. Pleeeez. Culturally it is greatly improved here, there is a significant African American population here, and a large Hispanic population here, and restaurants of many cultures here, all you guys have is Basque. We have the Air Force Academy here, the Olympic Training Center here, National Defense, NORAD, and that's just naming a few.
Boise has great restaurants, night clubs, live music and hiking trails galore. Nampa and Caldwell have large Hispanic populations also. The economy is hurting a bit in Boise, but should be picking up soon.
If the economy is so great in CS, what will keep it from becoming another Denver or LA in the mountains?

Last edited by jwest09; 10-16-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
[quote=Mile High Man;11215392] and a large Hispanic population here, and restaurants of many cultures here, all you guys have is Basque. QUOTE]

You are so wrong. Why would you post something if you have no idea of what our area offers?
I guess our Indian and Thai and Argentine and French and Vietnamese, and Russian, and Bosnian, and so on and so forth restaurants don't exist. Dam, I just ate Indian last week but it must not have really existed?
And good for you and C.S. if Tejon Street is lined up with nightclubs bowling, live music, great restaurants. In Boise it is just not one street but many, All of downtown Boise is lined with nightclubs, great restaurants and live music and art galleries. Bowling no because that belongs outside of downtown. I've experienced C.S. and downtown Boise is much more vibrant.

I noticed this was your first post? You joined just to make the incorrect statements you posted?

Last edited by Syringaloid; 10-16-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
My personal perspective is this, I was raised here, I believe in a very "granola" yet libertarian ideology. (If that made sense you belong in Boise) I am very typical.

This is an area for individualists. I welcome anyone who comes, but please don't try to change our culture from that.
Just visiting some old forums, so pardon my belated kudos, but your statements quoted above are a great synopsis of the local vibe/disposition, and they really speak to the forever-Idahoan in me.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,531 times
Quote:
I'm with Sandpointian and jwest above. CS has been good to me and I may just prefer Boise as a post-native, but... are you serious with that off-base assessment???

Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
Quote:
Bowling is pretty lame. I've never heard it used as a defense for hipness. (Have you heard about the bridge club in Bismarck, ND? Pretty bad ass) As for norad etc. I'd prefer a smaller fed presence whereever I decide to lay my head.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 PM

557 posts, read 1,674,559 times
Quote:
Extremely lame and misleading post. I guess you just did pass through Boise. Must've gone through on the interstate. Were your eyes closed all the time?

I've lived in the Springs and visited Boise. I am going to be retiring in just a few years, and Boise is #1 on my short list. The Springs didn't even make my LONG list! Boise's nightlife blows the Springs away, IMO. So many clubs and restaurants to choose from throughout the downtown area. CS downtown is a joke by comparison, IMO. Boise State sweetens the deal even more, it just gives the area a very hip, vibrant feel. Boise does a wonderful job of promoting and supporting the arts. The shopping is good enough. I don't need professional sports teams. I don't need the sprawl of Denver/Springs. I don't need the Air Force Academy, Pete Fld, Ft Carson (ugh), or the Olympic Training Center. Yeah, Pikes Peak is nice. You can keep the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area