Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,080 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Boise, ID/Treasure Valley my entire life. At age 55, I have found that many of those who are in need of wheelchair accessible mass transit have been forgotten in my area.

Those that have lived here for years and now see much the farm land being sold for new housing developments wonder why there has been no expansion of mass transit, esp for those who are physically challenged.

The current service, ACCESS, has limited usefulness even for those living both in Boise and Nampa city limits. For those who live even less than one mile from the current route lines there is no service.

For me to attempt to use the current service, I would have to take a serious risk traveling in my electric wheelchair down a four-lane highway (the cars can drive 55 mph) for that last 3/4 mile to the nearest pick up site. I have seen minor children walking down this same highway to walk to grade school, to the library and water park.

I think that when the county planning and zone dept allow for this expanded housing development they also need to consider the need for expanded mass transit to met the needs of the people in these areas.

P. S. I thought someone should know that until two years ago the elevators in the Idaho state Capitol building would not accommodate a standard EMS ambulance gurney. Only when it was brought to then Governor-elect Butch Otter's attention was this serious deficit of updated equipment/services was acknowledged and something done about it.

Idaho and Treasure Valley...You got a lot of catching to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:37 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Your post is an interesting query. Over here in the Idaho Falls area I know that the typical bus system will pick one up at their house if arrangements are made ahead of schedule.

If I were you, I'd be contacting my council members and putting this to their attention post haste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area