Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 37,977 times

Advertisements

My family currently lives in So Cal and are looking to move this year. My parents are retiring and my family and I are planning to go with them (its become too expensive here for us) I have read great things about Idaho, specifically the Boise area for the quality of life/living.

Here's my dilemma. My dad would like a home with some land/acreage, but my mother and I want to be close enough to a big city for shopping, restaurants, not to mention my family needs to find work! Does anyone have any suggestions where to look? Also, I've read so many different things about how much snowfall there is in Boise, and all through the state... is there any place in Idaho where there is less snow and lots of sunshine?

My dad and I really like Idaho when we traveled there a while back, but my mom likes St George Utah and I'm trying to convince her otherwise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
Replies can be slow and sparse sometimes around here, but they pop up now and again.

In part I think this is because there is a lot you can learn by reading older threads.

I'd scroll thru the pages or use the search tool and look for threads on the small towns of Emmett and Kuna, and / or the suburbs of Eagle or Meridian and see which one(s) sound like a better overall fit with your priorities.

Maybe local posters will respond, especially if you narrow in your target further.

The Boise area in general has the least snow of anywhere in Idaho. More than in St. George itself which rarely sees it but the countryside around St. George can get snow, a lot of it in some places.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-06-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 02:11 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,615 times
Boise will definetly have more of a city feel than St. George...If you are looking for acreage i would look possibly in the southern areas of Meridian as well as in Kuna. They have a lot of properties with substantial land. And its not more than 15 minutes from downtown even during the busy hours. (my wife commutes daily kuna to downtown boise)

the snowfall in the city really isn't bad. I think last winter i only had to drive with snow on the ground maybe a handful of times. Definetly not more than 10. And generally its not deep snow. I dunno, I personally don't think its difficult to drive in but i have seen some comical moments. Just take it slow, give yourself plenty of space and buy some snow tires and you'll be good!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 05:51 AM

55 posts, read 183,291 times
Kuna has potential on the land although on the Meridian side of town, I'd actually push a little farther out towards Star & Middleton. Those two are about 30-45 minutes from Boise but the price of land is a bit cheaper. Meridian/Eagle is getting pretty spendy for land.
Like an earlier poster mentioned, Boise has some of the least snow of anywhere in the state. (Of course, my family was told that 20 years ago and it was the coldest snowiest winter in 50 years haha). But in general, the snow is very minimal.
Plus with your needs for work, shopping, & restaurants Boise would be a good bet. While the outer areas won't have the city feel, coming into the downtown area for a day will. Also, if you come up to visit and look around, don't be put off by all the seemingly chain restaurants. While Boise does have a lot of chains we also have some great local restaurants, you just have to be told about them. Same with the shopping. The mall has some good stores but some of the downtown shops get amazing pieces.
And of course, if a weekend of shopping in a true big city is needed, Boise is a short and cheap flight away from Seattle.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 PM

I know this is late, but thank you for your responses! Well over the past 3 years we have traveled to Southern Idaho 7 times, and we love Boise and the surrounding areas! We are also looking in the Twin Falls area also, but we prefer Boise! it really comes down to where we can find homes with some land within our price range. You were right in saying the Eagle/Meridian areas are kinda pricey! We found a few vacant bank owned homes but they were completely trashed and needed way too much work, and even they were 350k+. My parents found a house in Parma that they love, but I haven't heard much about this small town. I haven't traveled that far up, but the houses are within our price range... Any advice on Parma?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM

285 posts, read 850,193 times
Parma is nice, but not exactly "close" to Boise - and Boise likely wouldn't be the city you go to for your quick grocery runs, etc.
If you're looking at trashed bank-owned houses in the 350k range, you are looking at some very large houses!
I've seen houses with acreage in South Meridian / Kuna for under 200k and over 2000 sq ft.
How large of a house does your family require?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

We are actually looking for 2 houses in the same area so we can be close to one another, within 10 min or so! Anything over 2500 would be good, with a little bit of acreage, but the main thing is we want a house that is clean and move in ready, and somewhat new. Our first house here in Cali was an old fixer upper, and we had to redo everything from the plumbing to the flooring to the ceilings, and we don't feel like doing that again. . As for my parents they are retiring and can't do a bunch of remodeling and maintenance! My next home I would like to be one I don't have too do much too! We are looking in the 300k range, but haven't found anything yet! (not in our price range anyways, they are all 400 and up) In Parma there is 2 homes within 2 miles of each other that are really nice, I'm just not sure of the area! Found some nice ones in Caldwell, but I have read over and over again to stay away from there! Are there any nice areas of Caldwell?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM

285 posts, read 850,193 times
Caldwell does have some nice areas. It is just like any other city.

Parma is a nice little town, it has regular small town perks AND problems - but IMO too distant if you want to be close to a city. It is ~45 minutes from Boise.

OK - so two houses, close together.
Do they both need to have some acreage?
South Meridian, parts of Nampa and Kuna will be your best bet based on your original post.

A quick search of south Meridian turned up a couple houses in the Mid 200s and below that appear to be in beautiful condition - but are not new. You will find many homes that are clean and move in ready that aren't new. Finding newer yet rural homes is going to be a bit difficult. But again, an older home doesn't mean it will be problematic for you. In-fact, I would be willing to bet that down the road, the older construction will serve you better.

If you are willing to go with a home that is a little older, you can have everything you want and be no more than 20 minutes from Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area