Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times

Advertisements

The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch; Women as Lovers by Elfriede Jelinek; We the Living by Ayn Rand; The Fall by Albert Camus; Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig; Franz Kafka's Diaries; Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 AM

285 posts, read 616,407 times
I grew up as the child of a police officer in the 60's & early 70's. A man with very strong, very black & white ideas of right & wrong (no grey in his landscape!) and not a few prejudices....

For me, Serpico (the book, not the movie altho that was good) was a real eye-opener. I read it when I was 14...and began to - finally - understand whence and where many of his attitudes began. And ended. It didn't stop the turbulence of the following years of rebellion...I was too head-strong for that. It was the begining of learning to see the from another's point of view.

The "best" books for altering my life were:
Hugh Prather Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person
Thich Nhat Hanh Anger
Sam Keen Fire in the Belly and Hymns to an Unknown God

"One day, out of nowhere, you realize you don't know who you are and none of the cards in your wallet provide the slightest clue to your real identity." Sam Keen

Old 05-11-2009, 03:48 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Walter Benjamin At The Dairy Queen, by Larry McMurtry, If you are a book lover this is a must, it is the closest thing to an autobiography Mcmurtry has written or will ever write according to him. Books that move people to change their thinking are the most profound of all good writings, that said, we can learn so much from others that it seems a pity to waste time on anything that isn't enlightening. I don't mean to say that all good books are going to fall into that category, but it seems as though most American's can only find time to entertain themselves, unfortunatly that seldom includes reading. I am a book lover from way back in my grade school years, one book that changed me was the Thor Heyerdahl book, Kon Tiki, it was the first time I was swept away into a book and out onto the Pacific Ocean, thrashing about on a raft of dubious construction quality. When I finished that book I went on a spree of adventure book reading, I traveled the world in all kinds of weather and "met" many people of different cultures and backgrounds, I laughed one moment, and the next found me terrified, too afraid to put down the book for fear I'd miss something. All that travel without ever leaving the bedroom of my youth. I'm old now, that seems to be the way we all end up, but I will always have those memories of the wild times I spent, mesmerized by the writing of Hemmingway, Kerouac, Steinbeck, and tons of others who posessed the knack for keeping you awake at night enthralled in their world and sharing their minds.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM

266 posts, read 911,653 times
"Mere Christianity," "Animal Vegetable Miracle" (eye-opening about how food is treated and grown in our society) "Bowling Alone," "The End of Racism" (controversial, not sure I agree with all of it, but lots of food for thought), "The World Without Us." Someone mentioned "The Road"--I just finished that and think about it a lot--that could be one for the list, but may be too soon to tell. I'd also say "We Were the Mulvaneys"--I think about it often, how a small incident can lead to the unraveling of a family. Very sobering to think about now that I have a family of my own.

Last edited by Trkstp Tina; 05-11-2009 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books