Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I will look it up right after replying
I just started rereading the Outlander series for the third or fourth time. Love it! I can't believe that it grips me again even though I've read it so often in the last years and even listened to the audio books once.
I can't wait for the series to be shown on TV. I'm mighty excited about how they put it on screen.

They did a really good job with the adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.
Yes, that's right - the Outlander series. I finished the first one and I'd give it four stars. It succeeds in its genre and I'd be very surprised if lovers of the Outlander books wouldn't love the Kage Baker books. To fast forward, I downloaded Sky Coyote, the second book in the series. It takes place from the POV of a different character introduced in the first book and some reviews on Amazon said it was their least favourite book in the series but I believe it still garnered four stars.

It's not heavy reading or anything but I found them entertaining and I think I will be reading the other books in the series.

So now to go back to the middle part, after the first Kage Baker book, I read Pines, by Blake Crouch. It was a fast read and this is also part of a series - it has a very Twilight Zonish vibe to it which I don't think I like and I don't think I'll be reading more in the series. I downloaded the book a while back before I knew I could download samples. But the series gets great reviews on Amazon and I think the problem is not the writing, it is the subject matter that is not my thing.

And after that, I started Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson. Dawnie, I think this is may be up your alley. I remember that some of the writers the reviews compared the book to, were authors you have mentioned - it's just that, alas, , I don't remember the names right now. It's also a cheap download right now - 2.99, I believe. Amazon.com: Ten Thousand Saints: A Novel eBook: Eleanor Henderson: Books

Anyway, I think I am about 30 percent in, and what happened was not a fault of the book, but a fault of my head (a migraine that goes away briefly and then hits me again), and THAT was when I downloaded the second Kage Baker book - it was a good book to read when I didn't want to think too hard.

Last edited by netwit; 02-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

And after that, I started Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson. Dawnie, I think this is may be up your alley. I remember that some of the writers the reviews compared the book to, were authors you have mentioned - it's just that, alas, , I don't remember the names right now. It's also a cheap download right now - 2.99, I believe. Amazon.com: Ten Thousand Saints: A Novel eBook: Eleanor Henderson: Books

Anyway, I think I am about 30 percent in, and what happened was not a fault of the book, but a fault of my head (a migraine that goes away briefly and then hits me again), and THAT was when I downloaded the second Kage Baker book - it was a good book to read when I didn't want to think too hard.
You know when you're in a crowded room -- like at a party -- and you can't even hear yourself think, but when someone across the room whispers your name you can hear it above all the din? Yeah. "Dawnie" came across loud and clear, sweetpea. And the book seems totally up my alley! Thank you! I'm going to check if they have it my library first but, either way, it's definitely going on my "to read" list. I loved The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud (to which it was compared). Thank you again, my love.

Update: They have it at the library, for my Kindle.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:40 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You know when you're in a crowded room -- like at a party -- and you can't even hear yourself think, but when someone across the room whispers your name you can hear it above all the din? Yeah. "Dawnie" came across loud and clear, sweetpea. And the book seems totally up my alley! Thank you! I'm going to check if they have it my library first but, either way, it's definitely going on my "to read" list. I loved The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud (to which it was compared). Thank you again, my love.

Update: They have it at the library, for my Kindle.
Yes, I remember now that it was The Emperor's Children that rang my Dawnie bell.

You know, I think that on a Kindle Paperwhite in Canada you can't get books from the library. I saw comments/complaints to that effect on the Canadian Amazon site. How do you do it with other Kindle versions?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:44 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
okay now "The Emperor's Children " is on my library hold list ...I knew coming here was going to get me wanting to read something else ...dang you two and the two of you know who you are net and dawn ..LOL either you or katabcha get me to adding things on my library hold list ugh !!!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, I remember now that it was The Emperor's Children that rang my Dawnie bell.

You know, I think that on a Kindle Paperwhite in Canada you can't get books from the library. I saw comments/complaints to that effect on the Canadian Amazon site. How do you do it with other Kindle versions?

I'm still a member of Boston Public Library from my stint in Massachusetts. Ssshhh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay now "The Emperor's Children " is on my library hold list ...I knew coming here was going to get me wanting to read something else ...dang you two and the two of you know who you are net and dawn ..LOL either you or katabcha get me to adding things on my library hold list ugh !!!
Sorry!

PS. Not many people liked The Emperor's Children. I did, though. I also really liked The Last Life by the same author, and it got much better reviews.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 02-17-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,213 times
I'm currently reading "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. It's a charmingly told story about his "valedictory tour of the green and kindly island that had so long been his home" -- the UK -- before heading back to the US. Perhaps others know this author but he's new to me. He's a wonderful story-teller and I'm thoroughly enjoying the book.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I was in the mood for something light so I started reading Mahjonged by Elaine Macko.
It's a murder mystery and one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.

I really needed a good laugh, just as we all do from time to time, and this one has filled the need. No, I was not depressed. I have read some heavy stuff recently and needed to laugh. This book is not for everyone because it is a bit "Snoop Sisterish." Our heroine quotes Winston Churchill on occasion which impresses the heck out of me. Then she also quotes characters from Downton Abbey. It's hysterical.

Who done it? I don't know yet and really don't care. It was one of 15 women at a home mahjong party. Even that is funny. You don't need to know about the game to enjoy the book.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I was in the mood for something light so I started reading Mahjonged by Elaine Macko.
It's a murder mystery and one of the funniest books I have read in a long time.
I can always use a good laugh so looked her up in Goodreads -- found her, looked at the library offerings: No results. No library in the world lists her work. That's odd, don't you think? Never saw THAT before.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I can always use a good laugh so looked her up in Goodreads -- found her, looked at the library offerings: No results. No library in the world lists her work. That's odd, don't you think? Never saw THAT before.
I love a good puzzle so I did some digging. It's because she's self-published.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Finished The Paris Architect last night. I really liked it. It takes place during WWII in Paris. Too lazy to go looking for the author's name right now. It is about an architect who helps to hide Jews in Paris.

Starting The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom next. I really like his writing style and have enjoyed all his books I've read so far (except For One More Day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books